• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Niall

International Coach
World test championships are a **** metric, let's not sit here and act like teams have equivelent draws. England's draw so far has been India in india and the previous champs in England. The only objective, stupid call from a selection standpoint so far this cycle, IMO, has been picking bairstow when he was half fit and clearly not up to keeping standard over foakes to start the Ashes (this call cost them both tests, mind you), buy everything else they've done has been fine. Dawson not getting called up when leach got injured was also pretty dumb, but I don't know what the whole situation around his franchise choices etc is.
Good post.

Obviously I don't know the bloke but looking at some of his interviews Dawson might prefer the franchise circuit this stage of his career. I rate him but lets not pretend he is Warne either, the score would have been the same even if he was in the squad.

Bumrah and Patidar out for Deep and Rahul I assume next test, ,,,,Atkinson for Anderson and ideally Bairstow deported IMO.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good post.

Obviously I don't know the bloke but looking at some of his interviews Dawson might prefer the franchise circuit this stage of his career. I rate him but lets not pretend he is Warne either, the score would have been the same even if he was in the squad.

Bumrah and Patidar out for Deep and Rahul I assume next test, ,,,,Atkinson for Anderson and ideally Bairstow deported IMO.
Didn’t they basically tell him that he would be a backup on tour anyway so he took the $?

Niall

International Coach
Didn’t they basically tell him that he would be a backup on tour anyway so he took the $?

Supposedly yeah and I suspect the interviews where he said he would not be sure if he would accept a call up if it clashed with his t20 deals didn't help him either.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I was going to say something to this effect. Say what you want about bazball, England 3 years ago would not have gone 1-1 and been competitive for the first 2 games of their India series if root was averaging 12 and leach missed the second test. The big improvement under baz is the fact that England now have a very good top 3 in terms of output. Don't think that gets enough credit.
There is a huge dislike for Bazball among traditionalists who do not want Test Cricket to be turned into a longer form of T20, I think a lot of critics do not care about the results Bazball have produced and will criticise it any given opportunity because they hate what it stands for. A lot of people believe that Bazball will eventually be used as justification to shorten Test Cricket from 5 days to 4 due to the high run rates. So in essence, the reason why Bazball is criticised isn't based on results (England have had a lot of success with it) but due to the fact that it never was or never will be accepted by some as the right way to play Test cricket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Good post.

I am assuming Anderson, Wood and Bairstow out for England - replaced by Robinson, Atkinson and Lawrence.

For India, I dont expect Rahul to be fit. So will go with Bumrah and Pattidar out for Axar and Padikkal.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Also, not a huge fan of dharmasena but that lbw live actually looked very close? Of course DRS showed it merely clipping a hair of the stump but in real time you can't really blame the umpire for giving it.
I think @Spikey pointed out Dharmasena probably thought it hit the back leg and so did I when I saw it live. That is why it felt plumb but replays showed it hit the front pad first.

Niall

International Coach
I am assuming Anderson, Wood and Bairstow out for England - replaced by Robinson, Atkinson and Lawrence.

For India, I dont expect Rahul to be fit. So will go with Bumrah and Pattidar out for Axar and Padikkal.
Dunno about Axar for Bumrah, do they need 3 spinning options?

I suppose from a batting POV the more depth the better but with Kuldeep reminding us he can bat do they really need the extra bat?

Please don't bump this post when India are 70/6 on day 1 . :p

Spark

Global Moderator
Also, not a huge fan of dharmasena but that lbw live actually looked very out didn't it? Of course DRS showed it merely clipping a hair of the stump but in real time you can't really blame the umpire for giving it.
I personally thought it didn't look that out at all because of how legside Crawley was standing. The Root one yeah that's always getting given.