• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Spark

Global Moderator
if we're going to remove umpire's call, it should be in favour of making all umpire's calls not out no i will not be taking questions on this

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Only cricket nufties like us know it

Casuals think it’s ridiculous
I sometimes post at 2am because I can't sleep and I have an opinion on my mind that my wife wouldn't appreciate me waking her up to share...I hardly think I'm a casual.

I'm aware that umpire's call exists because of the margin of error. What I'm saying, and others, is that the margin for error on a human four days into a stinking hot Test in India with a guy pleading for the wicket is much higher, so why would I care to include that part of the decision making process?

50% of the ball hitting still factors in the margin for error. If DRS shows it to be 49% but it was really 75%, I think we can all live with that. It's not smashing into leg, on those metrics. And if it shows to be 51% and it's really 20%, well it was still hitting in theory so we can all live with it.

I am aware that these things live well beyond feel, which is why I used the numbers above. But that Crawley one, it just feels junk. And as I have posted so many times, it seems ridiculous that human, split second judgment is given any place in that technological process.

Spark

Global Moderator
On the Crawley thing, has anyone watched the full replay and can they confirm that the actual projection was hitting the stumps? Because there's an image going around right now suggesting that the actual projected ball was not overlapping with the stumps at all, which surely can't be right.

Socerer 01

International Captain
On the Crawley thing, has anyone watched the full replay and can they confirm that the actual projection was hitting the stumps? Because there's an image going around right now suggesting that the actual projected ball was not overlapping with the stumps at all, which surely can't be right.
just took these images from the highlights

IMG_2703.jpeg

IMG_2702.jpeg

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Both Crawley and Root's LBWs were poor decisions.

They didn't effect the outcome of the match of course but balls that are barely flicking the stumps should not be given out by DRS.
Interestingly, the ball tracking for Root and Crawley's dismissals is exactly what Jonny Bairstow sees in his head every time he is hit plumb in front.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ball tracking technology for line calls in tennis is assumed to be 100% correct by players & fans when reality is that there’s a margin of error

Difference between the sports is that cricket has “umpires call” for pitching in line and hitting in line decisions and it generates confusion

Spark

Global Moderator
Ball tracking technology for line calls in tennis is assumed to be 100% correct by players & fans when reality is that there’s a margin of error

Difference between the sports is that cricket has “umpires call” for pitching in line and hitting in line decisions and it generates confusion
The difference between the sports is that the line calls in tennis are visual representations of a thing that has actually happened. Not a computer projection based on input data which is subject to error (in the case of the point of impact, potentially significant error).

I'm not aware of there being umpire's call for pitching in line.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'm not aware of there being umpire's call for pitching in line.

No but there is umpire's call for hitting in line.

Also, per Stokes, the match referee told him the projection visual was built wrong but the ball was hitting the stumps.

Gotta say, after reading the Hawkeye guy say not all of this process is automated, it is a bit scary to think we r building human error on top of human error.

Spark

Global Moderator
No but there is umpire's call for hitting in line.

Also, per Stokes, the match referee told him the projection visual was built wrong but the ball was hitting the stumps.

Gotta say, after reading the Hawkeye guy say not all of this process is automated, it is a bit scary to think we r building human error on top of human error.
Right but hitting in line has an error associated with it (due to the uncertainty in pinning the exact location of impact, especially between frames, and especially due to the complex interactions between ball and pad on impact) and, yes, the point of impact is manually constructed. Between that and the other aspects of manual reconstruction I am more than comfortable with a healthy margin of error built into the process.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Bazball or no Bazball, any team will find itself under pressure when their best batter is averaging 12 & another is averaging 18
I was going to say something to this effect. Say what you want about bazball, England 3 years ago would not have gone 1-1 and been competitive for the first 2 games of their India series if root was averaging 12 and leach missed the second test. The big improvement under baz is the fact that England now have a very good top 3 in terms of output. Don't think that gets enough credit.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was going to say something to this effect. Say what you want about bazball, England 3 years ago would not have gone 1-1 and been competitive for the first 2 games of their India series if root was averaging 12 and leach missed the second test. The big improvement under baz is the fact that England now have a very good top 3 in terms of output. Don't think that gets enough credit.
Lingering 8th in the current standings for the WTC 2023-2025 cycle.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Lingering 8th in the current standings for the WTC 2023-2025 cycle.
World test championships are a **** metric, let's not sit here and act like teams have equivelent draws. England's draw so far has been India in india and the previous champs in England. The only objective, stupid call from a selection standpoint so far this cycle, IMO, has been picking bairstow when he was half fit and clearly not up to keeping standard over foakes to start the Ashes (this call cost them both tests, mind you), buy everything else they've done has been fine. Dawson not getting called up when leach got injured was also pretty dumb, but I don't know what the whole situation around his franchise choices etc is.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
World test championships are a **** metric, let's not sit here and act like teams have equivelent draws. England's draw so far has been India in india and the previous champs in England. The only objective, stupid call from a selection standpoint so far this cycle, IMO, has been picking bairstow when he was half fit and clearly not up to keeping standard over foakes to start the Ashes (this call cost them both tests, mind you), buy everything else they've done has been fine. Dawson not getting called up when leach got injured was also pretty dumb, but I don't know what the whole situation around his franchise choices etc is.
I'm a simple guy...I see standings...and you know the rest lol