• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

434 - India's winning margin in Rajkot is their biggest by runs in Test cricket. Their previous biggest such win was by 372 runs against New Zealand at the Wankhede in 2021. This is also the eighth-biggest win by runs in Test cricket and the second-biggest for anyone against England, behind the 562-run win for Australia in 1934 at The Oval.

434 - India's winning margin in Rajkot is their biggest by runs in Test cricket. Their previous biggest such win was by 372 runs against New Zealand at the Wankhede in 2021. This is also the eighth-biggest win by runs in Test cricket and the second-biggest for anyone against England, behind the 562-run win for Australia in 1934 at The Oval.

2 - Instances of a century and a five-wicket haul in the same Test by Jadeja - he'd done it against Sri Lanka in Mohali in 2022 before this game. Only Ian Botham (5) and R Ashwin (3) have recorded this double more often than Jadeja in Test cricket, while Gary Sobers, Mushtaq Mohammad, Jacques Kallis and Shakib Al Hasan have also done it twice.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I can't relate to how dismissive of draws Stokes and co are. Draws can be far more honorable than throwing your bat around in a compromised cause but I suppose thinking a cause as compromised from the outset doesn't sit well with that camp.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with Stokes about DRS and the woeful outcome that was the Crawley lbw. That just can't be out. Dharmasena gets pressured into giving it because Bumrah yells at him long enough, and it stays out based on that call - human error - despite the technology, from what I can see, shows the shadow of the ball would have dislodged the outside of the bail.

I've heard the argument over and over about how it's the margin for error in the technology blah blah and I believe it's umpire's hurt feelings that get factored into it too...but just make it 50 percent of the ball hitting = out, less than 50 percent = not out. The sooner a real-time call plays no part in a decision that is made by a superior decision-maker - ie technology - the better. Then it's cut and dry.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
if umpire's call goes away that would still be out and review would simply say hitting

i want umpire's call to go away too
You couldnt get rid of umpires call and decide that any part of the ball hitting equals out. I mean, you could, but it doesn't change a thing
decision wise as you say.

I keep hearing about the margin for error so I feel like the 50% of the ball hitting works. I still like that there would be some benefit of doubt going the batsman's way - that Crawley one never looked out. Not live, not on ball tracking. It was a subpar decision but somehow was still out

Shri

Mr. Glass
defeats the point of tech

i want to go all in as it is because the error margins have constantly been reduced over the years

getting rid of umpire's call would make it fair plus black and white for everyone

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I agree with Stokes about DRS and the woeful outcome that was the Crawley lbw. That just can't be out. Dharmasena gets pressured into giving it because Bumrah yells at him long enough, and it stays out based on that call - human error - despite the technology, from what I can see, shows the shadow of the ball would have dislodged the outside of the bail.

I've heard the argument over and over about how it's the margin for error in the technology blah blah and I believe it's umpire's hurt feelings that get factored into it too...but just make it 50 percent of the ball hitting = out, less than 50 percent = not out. The sooner a real-time call plays no part in a decision that is made by a superior decision-maker - ie technology - the better. Then it's cut and dry.
If less than 50% of the ball actually hits the stumps, you're bowled. If umpires call goes away, they're all gonna be out.

danzydab

U19 Debutant
i wonder if there are any chances potts gets in the squad. he was outstanding in eng lions tour of india very recently. 20 wickets in just 3 fc matches including a 6 fer on a very flat pitch similar to rajkot

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Not necessarily true tbf. Every few months we see one of those ‘hit the stump but not bowled’ examples. Curran had one in the World Cup as bowler. Stokes as batsman in the away Ashes etc.
How so? I don't remember these

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Entertaining Test it was. I would like to apologise for the quality of some of my posts last night. I was not quite feeling myself due to personal reasons. :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not necessarily true tbf. Every few months we see one of those ‘hit the stump but not bowled’ examples. Curran had one in the World Cup as bowler. Stokes as batsman in the away Ashes etc.
Sure but they are very much the rare exceptions. If you want to simulate that, just have a random hitting the wicket given not out at a probability of 1/5000 or whatever it is historically. That would be worth it for the hilarity.