• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If this stays out, I'm not sure we'll see that much more of Young in tests.

EDIT: But he stays!

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
that average goes to 81.15 if he gets half the remaining runs and remains not out here…
I'm gonna say if he stays till the end he'll have scored more than half. Nobody else seems to be able to score at a strike rate of over about 20 atm.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe you've been watching too much Bazball mate ;) He's a solid opener with good stats. Averages ~10 higher than Crawley for example and probably wears the bowlers down 2x the deliveries. Almost certainly one of the top 10 world openers in the last 10 years or more.
I think most NZ posters would agree with me. If he's in the top 10 then it's a thin list. He has feasted far too much on teams that don't factor in the strongest of their era.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think most NZ posters would agree with me. If he's in the top 10 then it's a thin list. He has feasted far too much on teams that don't factor in the strongest of their era.
And even that'd be much more acceptable if he was helping NZ win or save close Tests against those teams. But Latham's runs have rarely actually mattered because NZ have been a very good side at home in that period and beaten lesser teams comfortably.

Given the desperate searches for openers in previous eras and even at times to partner Latham you'd still take it, but it's been a disappointing career. It has nothing to do with Bazball either.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
His hundred vs SL in the second test in 2019 is probably his career best performance imo. NZ 1-0 down in the series, tricky wicket, KW and Ross both dismissed cheaply. Went on to play a beautiful counter attacking innings that set up a victory in the closing stages of day 5. At the time I'd hoped it would be a watershed moment in his career. Sadly not.

Asides from that there really isn't much since his back to back hundreds in the UAE in 2014. Mostly just handy contributions, like the 80 he scored v England at the Basin last year.
Yeah good point, otherwise it's pretty thin. You can go from Conway to Kane to Mitchell to Blundell and name their epics, but Latham just hasn't produced them. It's so disappointing, as I say I was a strong supporter of him as an NZ great and now I just think he's an NZ better than average

Athlai

Not Terrible
Latham seemed like one of the 10 best openers in the world in the 2010s, but his last 5 or so years have been pretty average.