• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

James

Cricket Web Owner
All depends on Kane, has to get a hundred and lead us to victory. If he goes anytime shortly, we're probably 170 all out is my prediction.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Short cover is my favourite position. So rarely used in Tests, or any cricket, and always seems to either get wickets and/or get in the batsman's head. Not to mention stopping a lot of singles.

King Kane

International Debutant
All depends on Kane, has to get a hundred and lead us to victory. If he goes anytime shortly, we're probably 170 all out is my prediction.
Yeah I don't have much faith in anyone else steering us to victory with no Mitchell in the side, his wicket is crucial to which way this test will go.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would have taken 67-1 in the first session at the start of play (assuming the 1 wasn't Kane).

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Piedt needs to bowl until their shoulder falls off. von Berg shouldn't be bowling full stop. The game is an hour or so away from being over for South Africa. Williamson has given them a couple of sniffs, and you are not getting many more.

Flem274*

123/5
The little I've seen of Mariu is promising, but I think he was injured this season. Hopefully plays from now on.

Apart from that yeah, Latham is the least worst unless Greg Hay wants to play test cricket. He's a real Stead pick now. 39 years young.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I'm off Latham now. There was a time where I was a fervent supporter of him, but you just cannot expect him to score big runs at the right time against the best opposition.

Does he have a 'magnum opus' or a particular innings of huge importance/class to highlight his career? I don't know if he does. Yes he has tons, but were any of them particularly note-worthy against high quality opposition or in crunch moments?
His hundred vs SL in the second test in 2019 is probably his career best performance imo. NZ 1-0 down in the series, tricky wicket, KW and Ross both dismissed cheaply. Went on to play a beautiful counter attacking innings that set up a victory in the closing stages of day 5. At the time I'd hoped it would be a watershed moment in his career. Sadly not.

Asides from that there really isn't much since his back to back hundreds in the UAE in 2014. Mostly just handy contributions, like the 80 he scored v England at the Basin last year.