• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Stead should legitimately be sacked if we lose here, best chance to beat South Africa in a test series in our entire history and we blow it.
I get that Stead would be cheap, but NZ's performance with much the same personnel has seriously deteriorated under his watch. Surely there's someone else out there who's also cheap who could've been given a go, if only to hope that a change helps.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I'm off Latham now. There was a time where I was a fervent supporter of him, but you just cannot expect him to score big runs at the right time against the best opposition.

Does he have a 'magnum opus' or a particular innings of huge importance/class to highlight his career? I don't know if he does. Yes he has tons, but were any of them particularly note-worthy against high quality opposition or in crunch moments?

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I'm off Latham now. There was a time where I was a fervent supporter of him, but you just cannot expect him to score big runs at the right time against the best opposition.

Does he have a 'magnum opus' or a particular innings of huge importance/class to highlight his career? I don't know if he does. Yes he has tons, but were any of them particularly note-worthy against high quality opposition or in crunch moments?
He’s bland and dry of a player as my ex, 2 seasons ago.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
When is it going to be acceptable to fire Latham?
The difference between being frustrated with Latham/Conway and being frustrated with Southee/Wagner - is that there aren't any quality or promising alternatives for the opening batsmen.

We are talking either Solia or Cooper. And Cooper's been a discussion of bemusement in the domestic thread re: his T20 record, so he wouldn't be in a good state.

Both are really single format players (although they play all 3, just don't play all 3 well). And the format they are good at hasn't seen the light of day for 3 months.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

You probably have to go back to tours of the UAE.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I get that Stead would be cheap, but NZ's performance with much the same personnel has seriously deteriorated under his watch. Surely there's someone else out there who's also cheap who could've been given a go, if only to hope that a change helps.
He announced he was standing down, and then got re-appointed without anyone else applying as far as I know. (we don't have a cricket media anymore, so who knows).

I'm not sure it was an attractive position. A team of eleven 30+ year olds with only one direction to go.

anonymouskefe

School Boy/Girl Captain
The difference between being frustrated with Latham/Conway and being frustrated with Southee/Wagner - is that there aren't any quality or promising alternatives for the opening batsmen.

We are talking either Solia or Cooper. And Cooper's been a discussion of bemusement in the domestic thread re: his T20 record, so he wouldn't be in a good state.

Both are really single format players (although they play all 3, just don't play all 3 well). And the format they are good at hasn't seen the light of day for 3 months.
Completely agree batting depth in the top order is slim

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He announced he was standing down, and then got re-appointed without anyone else applying as far as I know. (we don't have a cricket media anymore, so who knows).

I'm not sure it was an attractive position. A team of eleven 30+ year olds with only one direction to go.
It doesn't seem like they even tried to find anyone else, and he is part of the reason the team is so aged.

James

Cricket Web Owner

There wasn't a possibility of getting McCullum before he took the England job?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Piedt providing a really tough test to the LHBs, Rachin will do well to make a score here.

Fortunately the rest of the batting is right handed.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man

Maybe you've been watching too much Bazball mate ;) He's a solid opener with good stats. Averages ~10 higher than Crawley for example and probably wears the bowlers down 2x the deliveries. Almost certainly one of the top 10 world openers in the last 10 years or more.