• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

thundaboult

International Debutant
so who are the public enemies we got rn? latham, southee, wagner, possibly santner as test "spinner", and perhaps conway (he aii in my book deserves a run) ?

thankfully nicholls is buried

anonymouskefe

School Boy/Girl Captain
When is it going to be acceptable to fire Latham?

Someone run the numbers of his record outside SL and Bangers bashing at home.
run the numbers might have made an error but dont believe so outside of his innings against bangladesh and sri lanka in NZ he has scored 3,741 runs across 115 innings with 4 not outs at an average of 33.70

Chubb

International Regular
Have said before I've never seen Latham as an NZ great or one of the world's best. He is a good batsman but has flaws and holes in his record.

While NZ does not have a strong heritage of openers, you still have Turner, Sutcliffe, Dempster, Wright, Fleming-as-opener ahead of him. Even Richardson has a case, though he also has a patchy record.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
run the numbers might have made an error but dont believe so outside of his innings against bangladesh and sri lanka in NZ he has scored 3,741 runs across 115 innings with 4 not outs at an average of 33.70
My first reaction is that isn't too bad by the standard of some NZ openers, but geez, taking over 6 runs off your average by removing two opponents at home ... 🤣

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Have said before I've never seen Latham as an NZ great or one of the world's best. He is a good batsman but has flaws and holes in his record.

While NZ does not have a strong heritage of openers, you still have Turner, Sutcliffe, Dempster, Wright, Fleming-as-opener ahead of him. Even Richardson has a case, though he also has a patchy record.
Not really, Richardson averaged 40+ v everyone save South Africa (34) and Australia (22). His Aus record is also worsened by the fact that he'd already mentally retired going into the 2004 series. He did pretty good against McGrath and co in 2001.

anonymouskefe

School Boy/Girl Captain

Richardson averages 22.22, 45.08 and 52.67 vs aus eng and ind respectively where as Latham averages 26.56, 31.70 and 32.18 Richardson miles clear also averaged 50 against a decent Pakistain side

Chubb

International Regular
Not really, Richardson averaged 40+ v everyone save South Africa (34) and Australia (22). His Aus record is also worsened by the fact that he'd already mentally retired going into the 2004 series. He did pretty good against McGrath and co in 2001.
I was thinking of his Aus record when I said that, so fair call.