• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

Meridio

International Regular
This is...not looking good. Runs are flowing and there's still 6 wickets in hand, so even a mild collapse leaves a chase of 250+.
As I type that Petersen somehow gets away with 3 uncontrolled hook shots. Just getting the feeling this isn't going to go our way.

anonymouskefe

School Boy/Girl Captain
This is...not looking good. Runs are flowing and there's still 6 wickets in hand, so even a mild collapse leaves a chase of 250+.
As I type that Petersen somehow gets away with 3 uncontrolled hook shots. Just getting the feeling this isn't going to go our way.
our inability to take 20 wickets on showcase again

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Petersen looks absolutely terrible against Wagner. Has no idea what to do.

Phillips is money for old rope at the moment though.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
How has Ravindra bowled more than twice as many overs as Southee
It's almost like Olivier in the first test where they just totally gave up on him and he only got four overs in the second innings.

Except Southee is captain, so I'd have expected him to keep bowling himself!

Meridio

International Regular
Henry's 0.77 economy rate in this innings (not to mention all the plays and misses) seems kinda appealing right about now.
Yeah this seems like really bad captaincy to me - our entire plan since Hamza got out has been to keep trying to buy wickets by batsmen slogging out. Which can be a really expensive way to get them, as it is proving right now. We got Hamza like that, which was good to break a partnership, and it's fine to have a bit of a go at a new batsmen like that - but at the other end they've also been able to pick up 3-4 an over without even trying. Why not give Henry (or Southee himself) the ball and look to keep it tight? Bowl dry, stack an offside field, play on their patience? It can be a hard thing to be going after bouncers at one end while being disciplined at the other.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Yeah this seems like really bad captaincy to me - our entire plan since Hamza got out has been to keep trying to buy wickets by batsmen slogging out. Which can be a really expensive way to get them, as it is proving right now. We got Hamza like that, which was good to break a partnership, and it's fine to have a bit of a go at a new batsmen like that - but at the other end they've also been able to pick up 3-4 an over without even trying. Why not give Henry (or Southee himself) the ball and look to keep it tight? Bowl dry, stack an offside field, play on their patience? It can be a hard thing to be going after bouncers at one end while being disciplined at the other.
The opposite plan to South Africa's maximum effort and patience. Predictable outcomes.