• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Oh yeah, and Will Young.

I get it, was batting with the tail and your rivals didn't help, but that's why you're not a full time member of this side. I'm his biggest fan on here but come on bro sometimes you need to make a statement and channel some Chanderpaul. Make Latham search desperately through the diary for the next date with Sri Lanka at Hagley.
I suspect the "**** batting with the tail gotta slog" is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy at times. If you never attempt to bat time with the tail, they don't practice it, and their confidence doing it decreases so you have less faith in them.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
DC utterly losing his mojo is a big setback for the team; he looked unstoppable for a while, now has fallen into a deep hole. Tom Latham is still a mystery wrapped in an enigma, he needs a big score in the second innings. Not having Mitchell has weakened the batting line up considerably.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Scanning through the dismissals
Can't blame Latham and Conway too much, both got great balls.
KW's was a little lazy, but the guy cant score a hundred every time.
Very lazy shot from Rachin, more typical of what we'd expect of him pre world cup.
Poor from Blundell, his form has looked a tad worrying this season.
Again from Phillips. Lyon will be licking his lips after watching today's play.
Really disappointing from Young. Understandable if you're batting with 10 and 11, but at 6 down NZ needed more from such an experienced player
Southee. lol.
That run out of Henry's could be vital. If he coulda hung around with Wagner NZ might've gotten a lead.
Wagner earned the right.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Watched the wicket highlights and yeah they were pretty mediocre. Hopefully a lesson in ruthlessness for Rachin. Blundell and Phillips just found a way to get out. Blundell seems to be rocks-or-diamonds on a series-by-series basis - it hasn't been diamonds for a little while though not pushing the panic button yet. Bad option from Young and people are right to point out it's this lack of bloody-mindedness that lets him down.

Bowlers could yet bail us out, but wouldn't want to chase more than 200 on a wicket that's taking a surprising amount of turn.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I don't think I agree with PEWS and Flem. The pitch isn't ragging, but given this lineup's fragility v spin and inexperience it doesn't need to. Could easily see SA scrapping their way to a 300ish target and NZ not getting particularly close.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Very well bowled by Piedt by the way, very accurate, good flight and turn. On paper his 5/89 looks on a par with Brand's 6/119 last match, but it was a vastly better performance.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
We get destroyed by South Africa's D spin attack in Hamilton and we have 6 tests in Asia this year. Hopefully all of Afghanistan's spinners will become T20 mercenaries or else there might be busy times in doom and gloom.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We get destroyed by South Africa's D spin attack in Hamilton and we have 6 tests in Asia this year. Hopefully all of Afghanistan's spinners will become T20 mercenaries or else there might be busy times in doom and gloom.
Piedts is not exactly D... He was fighting it out with Maharaj for primary spinner in SA squad at a stage. Just when he lost out he understandably made alternate career choices. Went off to USA, obviously still a decent spinner though.

Patterson and Moreki have both been very good though without being special. Makes me remember the days when we picked guys like Charl Willoughby, Craig Mathews and Alan Dawson. Before we had fast bowlers coming out of our ears...

Bahseph

International Debutant
I don't know man,Piedt isn't as good as Maharaj or Harmer but he is still a very good bowler when he doesn't get carried away. If they didn't exist then he would have been the number 1 spinner for a long time IMHO.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Piedts is not exactly D... He was fighting it out with Maharaj for primary spinner in SA squad at a stage. Just when he lost out he understandably made alternate career choices. Went off to USA, obviously still a decent spinner though.

Patterson and Moreki have both been very good though without being special. Makes me remember the days when we picked guys like Charl Willoughby, Craig Mathews and Alan Dawson. Before we had fast bowlers coming out of our ears...
Patterson has bowled just how I would have imagined but huge props to Moreki for obviously pushing Olivier out of the side.

1. KG
2. Nortje
3. Jansen
4. Ngidi
5. Burger
6. Coetzee
7. Williams
8. Sipamla
9. Patterson?

Probably leapfrogged a few other guys now.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Patterson has bowled just how I would have imagined but huge props to Moreki for obviously pushing Olivier out of the side.

1. KG
2. Nortje
3. Jansen
4. Ngidi
5. Burger
6. Coetzee
7. Williams
8. Sipamla
9. Patterson?

Probably put Swanepoel up there as well. And terrifying to think we have someone like Mphaka coming along and could be in top 4 by end of the year...

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant

1. KG
2. Nortje
3. Jansen
4. Ngidi
5. Burger
6. Coetzee
7. Williams
8. Sipamla
9. Patterson?

Eathan Bosch (Also bats) and Baartman would get ahead of your seamers after 6 for me ..Swanepoel aswell
Dupavillon too for raw pace , I'd also be trying to get Maphaka in the set up as soon as possible

Last edited: