• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i say it often but starc hasn't played a domestic t20 since 2015. even though his domestic t20 record is insane, and his international record is still perfectly respectable, it's clearly starting to affect his international t20 results imo

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Seeing those three steam in would be a dream come true and worth losing the game for. I exaggerate my point, but as a fan I want to see us have faster bowlers than Australia once in my lifetime and that would be more of a victory to me than winning the game. I know that makes no sense. It is from years of having their quicks have too much fire power for us and us responding with Martin Sneddon and Chris Harris or Lance Cairns military medium inswing.
We consistently had the faster bowling attack than Australia in 2011 (or whenever it was that we had Zaheer, Ishant and Umesh as our fast bowling trio). It is not a series I ever wanna revisit.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
We consistently had the faster bowling attack than Australia in 2011 (or whenever it was that we had Zaheer, Ishant and Umesh as our fast bowling trio). It is not a series I ever wanna revisit.
Ok good intel

But HonestB only Umesh is 145 plus out of those three.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ok good intel

But HonestB only Umesh is 145 plus out of those three.
There was an interview when our bowling coach (Saker?) pointed it out. He basically said we are very happy our bowlers have consistently been 140+ and faster than the Aussie bowling attack on average.

Qlder

International Debutant
Well except for maybe the Perth test where Aus had Mitchell Starc, Ryan Harris and a young pre-vegan Peter Siddle

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
There was an interview when our bowling coach (Saker?) pointed it out. He basically said we are very happy our bowlers have consistently been 140+ and faster than the Aussie bowling attack on average.
Wow Sharma finished with 311 test poles. He was nothing but cannon fodder in Australia though.
Zaheer on the other hand had a purple patch at one point he was unplayable.
Umesh bowled pies.
Was it that attack Brendon scored his triple against?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Wow Sharma finished with 311 test poles. He was nothing but cannon fodder in Australia though.
Zaheer on the other hand had a purple patch at one point he was unplayable.
Umesh bowled pies.
Was it that attack Brendon scored his triple against?
more or less.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bowling fast against Australia is what they want. Unless you're an absolute gun like a Steyn then the faster you bowl the more you'll go for

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Bowling fast against Australia is what they want. Unless you're an absolute gun like a Steyn then the faster you bowl the more you'll go for
Fergo before he broke down in his one test hustled and bustled Warner and got him to chop on by bowling 150kms for 5 overs straight at him. Our other bowlers he was treating with contempt that day. Whatever we bowl to Australia they waste our attack. Seam up they smack us. Spin we have had success with Dan but they basically sat on him and scored runs at the other end. Swing bowling they also smack around.
Bond did well against Aussie and he was our fastest ever. Mind you he had swing and pace.
Hadlee destroyed Australia but now we are going back to my childhood 40 years ago.
I think Pace is worth ago. We have tried Southee a million times against Australia and he averages 41.62 why pick him again? Because he can swing it?
Matt Henry our other current opener hasn't played them much but what little he did play them he got smashed. He has 4 wickets at 110 average
Kyle Jamieson stands a chance of getting wickets sure with his height.
Trent Boult has also been toothless despite his boxing day castling of your opener one year. He averages a poor 41.69 vs Australia

Swing doesn't work. Lets go with pace for a change and if we lose then we learned something. We won't learn anything by rolling out Southee Henry or Boult in any format T20 or Tests.

Sears Milne and Fergo all the way for the T20 attack
None of those three I trust to last for a 5 day test though so yes we would need to just roll out a conservative attack for the red ball stuff.
All of Sears Fergo and Milne could break down before 40 overs were bowled.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia test squad:

Cummins (c), Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Michael Neser, Matthew Renshaw, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc

Neser back while averaging with the ball 50 this season, Morris out due to injury unsurprisingly.

Qlder

International Debutant
Great, Australia's spare Test bat just got 2 & 2 for Qld last week and now averages 27.07 this season in the Sheffield Shield (spare bowler Neser averages 39.33 with the bat this season)

Qlder

International Debutant
Given the current form of the Aussie bats I think NZ is a much better batting side right now. That's some pretty impressive batting stats

1. Latham (40.18)
2. Conway (43.52)
3. Williamson (55.12)
4. Ravindra (46.42)
5. Mitchell (53.46)
6. Blundell (39.25)
7. Phillips (45.33)
8. Santner (24.36)
9. Jamieson (19.63)
10. Henry (22.22)
11. Southee (16.22)

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah that's not indicative of where we're at, certainly opener wise.

Are we better than Australia? Man for man, maybe just? But their batsmen face our bowlers. We face theirs, and theirs are fierce.

We're going from facing de Swardt bowling 120km floaters to Starc, Cummins and Haze.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Latham has a Khawaja middle order average, Conway is out of nick and Ravindra and Phillips are rookies.

It looks better than it is imo.
Kane and Mitchell are both in superb nick. Also, the batting depth for NZ is much better than Australia which cannot be ignored.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Kane and Mitchell are both in superb nick. Also, the batting depth for NZ is much better than Australia which cannot be ignored.
Mitchell actually isn't - since the IPL auction he really hasn't hit it well. He got a massively scratchy 70 in a T20 v Pakistan at Eden Park, maybe one more score in that series and otherwise has largely missed out

Even Kane isnt in God mode. Dropped a few times en route to those hundreds, really had to grind it out

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't accuse me of Gambhiring....just explaining that numbers on Cricinfo don't always tell a full picture