• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
The more I think about it the T20 clash could be a decent watch.
To create some interest in it I will say this daring comment that if NZ rolls out an attack of "Milne. Ferguson and Sears" that it will be one of the fastest attacks Australia has faced in any format, against any side, in the last 30 years
Certainly it will be the fastest attack we have ever put up against Aussie.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The best Aus tour of NZ was 2000. ODI series was hard fought and passionate, Test series had some close games as well with Aus in serious trouble a couple times

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
The more I think about it the T20 clash could be a decent watch.
To create some interest in it I will say this daring comment that if NZ rolls out an attack of "Milne. Ferguson and Sears" that it will be one of the fastest attacks Australia has faced in any format, against any side, in the last 30 years
Certainly it will be the fastest attack we have ever put up against Aussie.
Play those 3 vs Aus in Auckland and we may see a new world record t20i score

Flem274*

123/5
You don't beat a touring Australia by bowling with your penis, you beat them by driving a truck through their recent weaknesses. Swing and spin.

That's not to say you don't want someone who hits the deck very hard on modern Aotearoa pitches from day 3 onwards, but Australia would love nothing more than pace on the ball from a bowler who isn't quite ready.

Wagner will never be replaced. We will find another Hadlee before we find a bowler as unique and adaptable as Neil Wagner. However, we are in the market for a change bowler who does something different to the others and is good with the old ball. Since KJ debuted NZ have gone out of their way to elevate talll 6'5 plus bowlers like Shipley, Tickner and O'Rourke (or normal height bowlers who hit the hard length at pace like Kuggeleijn) and studiously ignored the Nathan Smiths and Brett Randells despite their frequently devastating new ball spells in the Shield.

If they give O'Rourke a run against SA I want to see him hammer away in the corridor with no freebies and plenty of awkward bounce. I don't really care if he never exceeds 140 clicks. He's a tall strong kid, and that helps on Day 3 and 4 at the Basin motorway.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why is everyone so negative on stoinis and David all of a sudden lol? They both had one bad bbl (think stoinis was poor in the sa20 aswell, tbf) and everyone forgets how good they've been for AUS. Before we had these two and wade we had ashton agar at 7 with carey (ewww). Our batting ended after maxwell at 4 and we where dog****. It was so bad at a point that johno wells for AUS was a semi serious suggestion.

The only other middle order bat in the bbl making runs is turner, and he's out injured. Since coming in for AUS, david is averaging 26 at a sr of 170 from memory. Stoinis is 30-35 at 160 in that same period. The reason we won in 2021 was warner, marsh, and david+stoinis being clutch. Stoinis was our best bat in the WC after that in AUS, and the reason we missed out on the semi's wasn't david, stoinis or wade's fault. Our bowling was dog****, we dropped crucial catches vs ireland and AFG and let those games get too close, and marsh+warner at 1 and 3 had terrible tournaments.
With David, he may strike at 158 (152 last year) but he often looks bad. Anyone who watched him in the Big Bash would get the impression he is extremely flaky and unreliable and is someone who is likely to get figured out at international level sooner or later. The fact he's an awful fielder for a professional and blatantly throws rather than bowling contributes to the negative impression.

With Stoinis, people are sick of his perpetual free run in the ODI team which is still more or less on the back of one innings plus infrequent good contributions with the ball. Again, anyone who watched him this BBL season would have got the impression of a player who wasn't even trying except for a couple of innings, while his bowling hit new lows. That he struck at 136 in T20Is last year isn't going to dissuade people from the idea that someone else might be able to do better.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The best Aus tour of NZ was 2000. ODI series was hard fought and passionate, Test series had some close games as well with Aus in serious trouble a couple times
Nah best was 93. Shane Warne v Martin Crowe. Warne unveiling his flipper to make Andrew Jones look clueless. Big Merv bustling in. John Wright's gritty farewell. AB doing his best Napoleon impression. Jeff Wilson smashing the ball out of Seddon Park to level the ODI series at 2-2. Danny swinging it around corners to jag a ridiculous 1-1 test series draw. It was so good.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Nah best was 93. Shane Warne v Martin Crowe. Big Merv bustling in. John Wright's gritty farewell. AB doing his best Napoleon impression. Jeff Wilson smashing the ball out of Seddon Park to level the ODI series at 2-2. Danny swinging it around corners to jag a ridiculous 1-1 test series draw. It was so good.
Yep that was the series my mind went to as well. Unless you go back to 85/86.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah best was 93. Shane Warne v Martin Crowe. Warne unveiling his flipper to make Andrew Jones look clueless. Big Merv bustling in. John Wright's gritty farewell. AB doing his best Napoleon impression. Jeff Wilson smashing the ball out of Seddon Park to level the ODI series at 2-2. Danny swinging it around corners to jag a ridiculous 1-1 test series draw. It was so good.
Anything before 2000 doesn't count because I wasn't aware of it

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
so he's nigh-on unselectable imo.
He's 100% unselectable to me. The times he's come back after periods out of the national side, he's looked rusty. I don't think it's right, or particularly think he'll adapt quick enough, to allow him to come back into long-form cricket off such a huge break. He hasn't played long-form cricket since June 2022, it's just not something we should - or I think we will - do.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Wagner will never be replaced. We will find another Hadlee before we find a bowler as unique and adaptable as Neil Wagner. However, we are in the market for a change bowler who does something different to the others and is good with the old ball. Since KJ debuted NZ have gone out of their way to elevate talll 6'5 plus bowlers like Shipley, Tickner and O'Rourke (or normal height bowlers who hit the hard length at pace like Kuggeleijn) and studiously ignored the Nathan Smiths and Brett Randells despite their frequently devastating new ball spells in the Shield.
I think you're over-egging this part. The only time Smith has ever been in contention for a call-up is now.
Last year he got injured mid-season before all the blackcaps opportunities opened up. Last year would have been the first time he had made a case, if he had managed to last it out.

The 2 test bowling spots, in the 4 man seam attack, that have opened up, - are to replace (by test bowling standards) 2 midgets (Boult and Wagner).

But yes, I think it is fair to say that he is not in consideration to replace Wagner. That is an into-the-pitch style bowler (or a spinner).

Chubb

International Regular
Why is everyone so negative on stoinis and David all of a sudden lol? They both had one bad bbl (think stoinis was poor in the sa20 aswell, tbf) and everyone forgets how good they've been for AUS. Before we had these two and wade we had ashton agar at 7 with carey (ewww). Our batting ended after maxwell at 4 and we where dog****. It was so bad at a point that johno wells for AUS was a semi serious suggestion.

The only other middle order bat in the bbl making runs is turner, and he's out injured. Since coming in for AUS, david is averaging 26 at a sr of 170 from memory. Stoinis is 30-35 at 160 in that same period. The reason we won in 2021 was warner, marsh, and david+stoinis being clutch. Stoinis was our best bat in the WC after that in AUS, and the reason we missed out on the semi's wasn't david, stoinis or wade's fault. Our bowling was dog****, we dropped crucial catches vs ireland and AFG and let those games get too close, and marsh+warner at 1 and 3 had terrible tournaments.
David wasnt just out of form in the BBL, he showed an abysmal attitude. Actively made games worse for Hobart. Stoinis at least looked like he was trying most of the time.

Qlder

International Debutant
As this is the final T20 tune up before the WC, Finchy's proposed WC XI is interesting.

He basically leaves out Smith and Wade and of course Ellis is the spare pacer. He then has at #6 Stoinis or Short depending on conditions. What conditions could possibly impact on who you go with at #6?

Screenshot_20240208_092025_Samsung Internet.jpg

Silver Silva

International Regular
As this is the final T20 tune up before the WC, Finchy's proposed WC XI is interesting.

He basically leaves out Smith and Wade and of course Ellis is the spare pacer. He then has at #6 Stoinis or Short depending on conditions. What conditions could possibly impact on who you go with at #6?

View attachment 39061
Cummins, Starc and Hazlewood deliver such incredible service 👏..

Can't think of a fast bowling trio that has been so available in all three formats for several years. And they have won it all to boot.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Play those 3 vs Aus in Auckland and we may see a new world record t20i score
Seeing those three steam in would be a dream come true and worth losing the game for. I exaggerate my point, but as a fan I want to see us have faster bowlers than Australia once in my lifetime and that would be more of a victory to me than winning the game. I know that makes no sense. It is from years of having their quicks have too much fire power for us and us responding with Martin Sneddon and Chris Harris or Lance Cairns military medium inswing.