• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashwin vs Lyon, who is better on flat pitches?

Who is the better bowler on flat pitches?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
In that Adelaide Test he bowled wonderfully, not to mention the previous Adelaide Test (which India lost); and in both those he was India's best bowler. You're changing the threshold as you seem fit. A 3-fer in a challenging condition is as important, if not more, than than a 6-fer in an already won match.
Too bad performances in matches lost don't count as matchwinning performances.

We are going to have to disagree again on what constitutes a matchwinning performance. I think you need a certain margin of wickets to qualify and three to me is below par, especially in a case where in the same innings/match you have higher wicket takers. Apparently for you, number of wickets don't matter, maybe even a single high profile wicket would be sufficient to be called match-winning.

We are lowering the standard for Ashwin since he doesn't really have anything of note in SENA and making a big deal of a single series where he didn't really have a starring role.

It is quite simple. Any spinner in SENA is expected, occasionally and when the conditions are right, usually day 4/5 of a test but can be earlier, to run through a side and win you a game. Yasir Shah, Murali, Saqlain, Chandra, Kumble, Herath and other SC spinners have done so. Not so Ashwin.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Too bad performances in matches lost don't count as matchwinning performances.

We are going to have to disagree again on what constitutes a matchwinning performance. I think you need a certain margin of wickets to qualify and three to me is below par, especially in a case where in the same innings/match you have higher wicket takers. Apparently for you, number of wickets don't matter, maybe even a single high profile wicket would be sufficient to be called match-winning.

We are lowering the standard for Ashwin since he doesn't really have anything of note in SENA and making a big deal of a single series where he didn't really have a starring role.

It is quite simple. Any spinner in SENA is expected, occasionally and when the conditions are right, usually day 4/5 of a test but can be earlier, to run through a side and win you a game. Yasir Shah, Murali, Saqlain, Chandra, Kumble, Herath and other SC spinners have done so. Not so Ashwin.
I can't agree with your criteria for what a watch winning performance is.... I can't help but feel the strong sense of bias there. In both those matches, Ashwin was the highest wicket taker with 7 and 6 wickets, especially the 6 on the winning one. I don't think taking 8 wickets with 6 in an already won innings is more important than 6 in a close match including important batters. If I go by stats like average alone, then you go by wickets taken in a particular winning innings only; as that's the only thing suiting your POV. And I am not going to continue to argue about Yasir Shah and all of a sudden hear that Mushtaq Ahmed and Danish Kaneria are better than Ashwin....

subshakerz

International Coach
I can't agree with your criteria for what a watch winning performance is.... I can't help but feel the strong sense of bias there. In both those matches, Ashwin was the highest wicket taker with 7 and 6 wickets, especially the 6 on the winning one. I don't think taking 8 wickets with 6 in an already won innings is more important than 6 in a close match including important batters. If I go by stats like average alone, then you go by wickets taken in a particular winning innings only; as that's the only thing suiting your POV. And I am not going to continue to argue about Yasir Shah and all of a sudden hear that Mushtaq Ahmed and Danish Kaneria are better than Ashwin....
Not arguing those are better but even they managed basic match-winning performances in SENA.

In the 2018 game in Aus that India won, Ashwin took six, Bumrah took six, Shami took five. In the 2020 Melbourne game that India won, Ashwin took five, Bumrah took six, Siraj took five. It was collective performances in both games without any standout bowler. So yes, I see Ashwin's performances in those won games not as really match-winning in the true sense. Impressive spells, sure, but not match-winning.

I am just waiting for Ashwin to run through a side at least once in SENA to win a game the way he does regularly in SC.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Means a lesser performance is better somehow just because he was the highest wicket taker (as Cummins also took 4)?
It isn't a lesser performance. He is in an away game in the Ashes, and ran through an England side to win the match. Wickets don't take themselves and there is always a chance for a draw or unlikely chase. It is precisely for these situations you have spinners, it is the classic spinner performance in SENA. If you are going to argue that sealing a victory when your side has an advantage isn't match-winning you are going to discredit a lot of winning bowling performances.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
It isn't a lesser performance. He is in an away game in the Ashes, and ran through an England side to win the match. Wickets don't take themselves and there is always a chance for a draw or unlikely chase. It is precisely for these situations you have spinners, it is the classic spinner performance in SENA. If you are going to argue that sealing a victory when your side has an advantage isn't match-winning you are going to discredit a lot of winning bowling performances.
And that's the whole thing.... I don't want to discredit Lyon, taking a 6-fer away in England is commendable anytime; but that doesn't makes it better than taking 6 wickets in one match that was extremely close. To put it straightly, Australia most likely had won without that 6-fer, India wouldn't. My problem is with you totally dismissing the latter's efforts as not noteworthy.

subshakerz

International Coach
And that's the whole thing.... I don't want to discredit Lyon, taking a 6-fer away in England is commendable anytime; but that doesn't makes it better than taking 6 wickets in one match that was extremely close. To put it straightly, Australia most likely had won without that 6-fer, India wouldn't. My problem is with you totally dismissing the latter's efforts as not noteworthy.
Ashwin's was a good performance, but it wasn't singularly important in either innings as you had a couple of other bowlers also sharing the wickets.

Frankly it is insulting for someone of Ashwin's caliber to be bringing up such performances as highlights, we should be talking about the 5-fer he got that sealed a big Indian win in Sydney or the 6-fer in Manchester when he tore through England in the 3rd innings on a wearing pitch. The same way we bring up Kumble's 12-fer on a dead Aus track in 2004, or Mushtaq's 6fer in the Durban win in 98, or Yasir Shah's 10fer in England in the 1st test in 2016.

I don't think Ashwin isn't capable of such performances, but for whatever reason he has missed out or has been unlucky.

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Ashwin's was a good performance, but it wasn't singularly important in either innings as you had a couple of other bowlers also sharing the wickets.

Frankly it is insulting for someone of Ashwin's caliber to be bringing up such performances as highlights, we should be talking about the 5-fer he got that sealed a big Indian win in Sydney or the 6-fer in Manchester when he tore through England in the 3rd innings on a wearing pitch. The same way we bring up Kumble's 12-fer on a dead Aus track in 2004, or Mushtaq's 6fer in the Durban win in 98, or Yasir Shah's 10fer in England in the 1st test in 2016.

I don't think Ashwin isn't capable of such performances, but for whatever reason he has missed out or has been unlucky.
Yes, he missed such performances; mostly because he hadn't really played that many matches overseas in SENA. But so did Lyon; his 6-fer again was good, but not like the ones you mentioned. And I don't think a single great match with 10 underwhelming ones is better than 2 bad matches and 8 solid ones to begin with....

subshakerz

International Coach
Yes, he missed such performances; mostly because he hadn't really played that many matches overseas in SENA. But so did Lyon; his 6-fer again was good, but not like the ones you mentioned. And I don't think a single great match with 10 underwhelming ones is better than 2 bad matches and 8 solid ones to begin with....
Yeah this is our fundamental disagreement and our arguments stem from here.

I think as a captain, he won't mind a spinner being a bit flat in non-ideal conditions if he knows that when the time and conditions are right, usually once a series at most, such as with enough scoreboard pressure or wearing pitch, his spinner will run through a side to win a game. That is the most you can expect from spinners in SENA below Murali/Warne level. You see it differently.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Yeah this is our fundamental disagreement and our arguments stem from here.

I think as a captain, he won't mind a spinner being a bit flat in non-ideal conditions if he knows that when the time and conditions are right, usually once a series at most, such as with enough scoreboard pressure or wearing pitch, his spinner will run through a side to win a game. That is the most you can expect from spinners in SENA below Murali/Warne level. You see it differently.
Our arguments also stems from the fact that you somehow feels Lyon's 8 wickets in Birmingham was match winning, despite 6 coming in after Australia had basically won the game; yet simultaneously downplaying Ashwin's 6 in Adelaide, which came in much dire conditions. As a captain, I would definitely prefer my bowler to win me matches when conditions are right, doesn't means I am picking Bob Massie because he had done so once and Ashwin hadn't single handedly.....

subshakerz

International Coach
Our arguments also stems from the fact that you somehow feels Lyon's 8 wickets in Birmingham was match winning, despite 6 coming in after Australia had basically won the game; yet simultaneously downplaying Ashwin's 6 in Adelaide, which came in much dire conditions. As a captain, I would definitely prefer my bowler to win me matches when conditions are right, doesn't means I am picking Bob Massie because he had done so once and Ashwin hadn't single handedly.....
Yeah except Lyon has done so multiple times in Australia, not some one off in England. So he is already more proven in SENA than Ashwin in this regard.

The fundamental issue in my mind is a questionmark on Ashwin's wicket-taking capacity in SENA to win games without relying on others sharing wickets. I just haven't seen him run through sides, even once or twice, like he does regularly in SC to win games.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Yeah except Lyon has done so multiple times in Australia, not some one off in England. So he is already more proven in SENA than Ashwin in this regard.

The fundamental issue in my mind is a questionmark on Ashwin's wicket-taking capacity in SENA to win games without relying on others sharing wickets. I just haven't seen him run through sides, even once or twice, like he does regularly in SC to win games.
Yeah..... Lyon is literally Australia and has played close to 60 matches there. You would expect practically anyone to win few matches then. In the matches they played together in Australia, Ashwin has overplayed him and some.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
A lot of very interesting exchanges discussing a couple of good spinners who aren't in the same league as the ATG tweakers.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yeah..... Lyon is literally Australia and has played close to 60 matches there. You would expect practically anyone to win few matches then. In the matches they played together in Australia, Ashwin has overplayed him and some.
Lyon outright won games for Australia vs India in Adelaide 2014 and Perth 2018. Moreso than what Ashwin accomplished IMO vs Aus in Aus with his support bowling.

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Lyon outright won games for Australia vs India in Adelaide 2014 and Perth 2018. Moreso than what Ashwin accomplished IMO vs Aus in Aus with his support bowling.
2021 Adelaide wasn't "support bowling", imo. And you know there's one more important thing in cricket than winning; i.e., not losing.