• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Well done Ravindra! Nice for Brand. This series is still about making an impression for these SA players. There are slots available in that full strength XI.
I think Brand has already shown a lot of value, put some good fields and kept the troops chugging along even when things were going wrong, and his left arm spin from a top order bat will be very handy since we tour the subcontinent soon ..De Swardt also bowled with great discipline if he can score runs at this level there's a place for him in the side

thierry henry

International Coach
Yeah I'm always negative and yeah it's churlish to still complain after 500, but the latter part of this innings had a sort of willful tactical haphazardness that has been a bit of a feature of our test cricket since WTC2021. Sort of like the win against England last year which papered over the ridiculous batting at the end of our second innings.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What a shower of brainless ineptitude. They’d have done better batting sensibly. Quelle surprise with Slog-it Southee at the helm.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
511 is a fine score even if I'd have preferred we bat another 30-40 mins.

That was an awful first over from Southee though, and even with a little movement in the wicket conditions look lovely for batting.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Yeah I'm always negative and yeah it's churlish to still complain after 500, but the latter part of this innings had a sort of willful tactical haphazardness that has been a bit of a feature of our test cricket since WTC2021. Sort of like the win against England last year which papered over the ridiculous batting at the end of our second innings.
Great innings by Ravindra though, made the most of it.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Did just check through the South African batting lineup and aside from all having good domestic records (weight of runs at good average, or fewer runs with a very good average), it's noticeable they're all young enough to play for SA longer term. Only Moore is over 30 (he is nearly 31) and a few are 26-27, including Brand.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Brand getting selected may make Maharaj a bit redundant. Personally as much as Kesh is fine, they have too many good fast bowlers.

As long as they don't replace him with Ngidi.