• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, that's the argument...I dunno, I just don't see Sears hurrying people. Same with O'Rourke. I'm talking about these shorter than average, kiss the wicket and hurry guys up sort of bowlers like Wood, Joseph, Nortje, apparently even Jamal is 5'9. Ferguson used to do it. Hell, even Andre Adams used to do it - he wasn't lightning but he hurried guys up with that bustling, on you before you knew it sort of style. Those sort of guys are in vogue right now.
Sounds like a description of Foulkes, there. (except omitting mentioning the best inswinger around at the moment)

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Sounds like a description of Foulkes, there. (except omitting mentioning the best inswinger around at the moment)
Yep, it does. I love Foulkes. Rate him incredibly highly.

That's possibly a neglected part of talking about fast bowling, is visibility. Seems to me like Sears, for example, might hit mid 140s on a speed gun but domestic battlers apart (and downwind at the Basin) I don't see him hurry guys. Joseph was operating in around the same sort of numbers, but definitely hurried guys - he gloved Steve Smith on 80 odd from nowhere with a soft pink ball on a flat one. That's why I don't have massively high hopes for Sears.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Think it sounds more like Fisher than anyone else. Is probably 'only' high 130s to 140 but might feel quicker with the way he snaps through his action. I wouldn't discount Sears at all, though agree so far he doesn't seem to hurry batsmen like we'd want to see from real pace.

I'm not overly hopeful of Fisher stringing enough first class matches together, between injuries, to turn into a good bowler though.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah good point, Fisher is one I hadn't thought to mention. He's someone I'd really like to see kick on - obviously somewhat injury-prone but had a good A tour of India, and has done OK this summer at times

Flem274*

123/5
I've thought Hazeldine has been a smoky for years, but he never has that big breakthrough season.

Lockie was the guy but he could never push in and now he's a shadow of what he was.

Immenso

We've just had our best decade ever in our test match history. During this time we've had 2 to 3 145k+ bowlers available to us, with good-to-excellent ODI records, and refused to select them.

This shows that they aren't essential to win test cricket.

Although they make it a lot more fun.

With those above mentioned 145k+ guys. We did on two occasions pick one of them in tests in a decade. And on both occasions we did this they broke down in the first innings of the match with only 10 overs under their belt each.

I reckon NZ selectors would run a mile in the opposite direction from Sears as a test player, with this sort of scar tissue. Sad as it makes me to say that. Although Wells is a new man.

Flem274*

123/5
We've just had our best decade ever in our test match history. During this time we've had 2 to 3 145k+ bowlers available to us, with good-to-excellent ODI records, and refused to select them.

This shows that they aren't essential to win test cricket.

With those above mentioned 145k+ guys. We did on two occasions pick one of them in tests in a decade. And on both occasions we did this they broke down in the first innings of the match with only 10 overs under their belt each.

I reckon NZ selectors would run a mile in the opposite direction from Sears as a test player, with this sort of scar tissue. Sad as it makes me to say that. Although Wells is a new man.
Tbf to those quicks, a debut at Perth in that heat was moronic. We had a test in Hamilton where we had the opportunity to try Henry (at that point not bowling as well as he does now) or Ferguson and Stead took the ***** route.

Is the other the Hamish Bennett debut in India?

They aren't essential but they are very useful to have in the armory on overseas motorways. 3 135kph swing bowlers in Australia or the UAE is a bit pointless, and we've done both even with CdG in the team (who is essentially a 4th opening bowler and an excellent 5th bowler). Attacks need to be balanced.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach

This shows that they aren't essential to win test cricket

The past decade was built on home dominance and wrangling a few excellent results in the SC. You're right that fast bowlers aren't essential to that.

However, what every NZ fan truly craves is victories in Australia and SA which you're not going to get without taking a punt on some fast bowlers.

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
However, what every NZ fan truly craves is victories in Australia and SA which you're not going to get without taking a punt on some fast bowlers.
Got to go to South Africa first. These days, it feels like they're not in interested in hosting us.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I remember there were raised eyebrows back in 2006 when they shoehorned us into a series in April. August is ridiculous - and then to top it all off Southee and Boult bowled like Wellington drains for 2 days straight on a minefield. Yeesh.

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
That's huge, I think I missed that bit! Would be great if they could keep it on free to air after the TVNZ deal ends.

I'm actually surprised the Spark numbers were that high, btw.
From memory, TVNZ has said a few times they're interested in retaining the cricket rights, & would be up for fighting Sky should they want it back. What would be of some interest is if WB-Discovery are interested, after their forays into sport & even cricket with the Bangladesh series. Even if Three find a niche in broadcasting niche-ish away tours even Sky won't show, it's a more competitive landscape.

Ironically, it was probably the Black Clash that showed TVNZ FTA sport can be a ratings winner. After that, they took the opportunity to team up with Spark.

Immenso

I'm jealous of South Africa playing some red ball cricket.

Our entire top 7 are screaming out for a low-pressure hit. Assuming 2 of the 7 are even fit enough to walk.