• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
If you're playing Phillips and Ravindra, surely there's no need to play Santner? Especially in NZ conditions. Phillips and Ravindra can carry the spin load I would have thought.

Latham
Conway
Williamson
Mitchell
Ravindra
Phillips
Blundell
Jamieson
Southee
Henry
Wagner
Ravindra is rightly being considered as a top order batsman … he might roll his arm over for a few, but with a test bowling average of 62 and a first class average of 51, I wouldn’t rely on him as a bowler.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Ravindra is rightly being considered as a top order batsman … he might roll his arm over for a few, but with a test bowling average of 62 and a first class average of 51, I wouldn’t rely on him as a bowler.
Good point with Ravindra, but with the way Phillips has bowled for us recently, I think we'd get enough out of him with the ball rather than playing Santner. And in NZ conditions, him and Ravindra would only need to bowl roughly 10 overs between them during a day.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Pleasantly surprised by that squad but also wondering what Smith has to do, besides moving to Canterbury.

Flem274*

123/5
Interesting to see O'Rourkes meteoric rise in comparison. I'd like to think it's because they see him as an ideal change bowler being a big young guy who can run in and hit the deck on a flat one, but equally it could just be who he plays for.

Flem274*

123/5
Also was thinking about Macewell in the shower :naughty: that ironically we could really use with a white ball keeper who can bosh it down the order, but we have heaps of spin bowling allrounder options now and that space is congested.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Didn't realise Seifert's domestic record had collapsed so hard. In danger of averaging under 30 in all 3 formats. Getting into 'go convert yourself into an offspinner and play every test in 2026' territory.
ahhh the ol bits n pieces gimmick :')

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably the best squad we've picked during the Stead era...I'd point out it's still such a Stead-ian thing that Rachin might get a go now, having not scored any runs in the home summer (hasn't passed 50 since the world cup) and hasn't played a first class match since March.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Second test only, I wonder if this means the first test is Wagner’s final chance …
Interesting as to whether Wagner plays at the Mount. I'd go Jamieson over him. Then O'Rourke comes into the squad and yeah, he might be a chance if they look at four seamers and omit/don't play Santner.

First Test I'd go Latham Conway Williamson Mitchell Rachin Phillips Blundell Santner Jamieson Southee Henry. Geez that is a serious amount of batting.

Feel for Ish a bit, it's very likely the right decision not to play him at home but as with Ajaz before, it feels rough in a way that he went from hero to zero in the space of one Test. Oh yeah, and I almost forgot Ajaz took 6-for to bowl us to victory in the last Test, too :laugh: Such a crapshoot at times with our spinners, and I'm not necessarily blaming the selectors.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, why aren't either of these Tests D/Ns? Do day Tests make more cash? I would've thought it was an ideal series to do so. Having been to the Mount one the year before against England, it was incredibly enjoyable to both be at, and follow on a work day/after work. Most fun I'd had at a day's Test cricket since the last D/N Test against England, at Eden Park in 2002 when it wasn't scheduled to be a D/N....**** that was the best of times

Flem274*

123/5
I completely forgot Ajaz took 8 in the match last time out, I just remember the first test disappointment.

We really treated Ajaz and Somerville so poorly. Parachute them in after **** all international cricket to Asia, expect immediate victory, then either drop them for 67 quicks at home or punt them in disgrace for not immediately performing.

I hope this isn't how we will be handling Ashok and other guys his age.

Immenso

I completely forgot Ajaz took 8 in the match last time out, I just remember the first test disappointment.

We really treated Ajaz and Somerville so poorly. Parachute them in after **** all international cricket to Asia, expect immediate victory, then either drop them for 67 quicks at home or punt them in disgrace for not immediately performing.

I hope this isn't how we will be handling Ashok and other guys his age.
Strongly disagree with this post.

Players only selected when conditions are in their favor are not badly treated.

Only area I'd agree is the one year Ajaz dropped off a central contract list. Need to treat someone who fits into the horses for courses policy with better respect (and medium-term planning) than that.

Immenso

As this aging NZ test squad starts (continues) retiring. Of the the great players of this Era. I'd actually have Ajaz as the 3rd hardest to replace.

1. Kane
2. Wagner
3. Ajaz

Where on earth are we going to find an experienced spinner , with the toughness to be in and out. Only play when conditions suit, yes, but when pressure and expectations are huge.

Pringle and Ashok are a decade away from that sort of zone. Probably further unless we restore the 10 game Plunket Shield season.

The skill gap from Ajaz to the next is the biggest chasm is NZ cricket.

Flem274*

123/5
Strongly disagree with this post.

Players only selected when conditions are in their favor are not badly treated.

Only area I'd agree is the one year Ajaz dropped off a central contract list. Need to treat someone who fits into the horses for courses policy with better respect (and medium-term planning) than that.
Yes and no.

I think it was short sighted not to give Ajaz a more consistent run. It bit us in the arse at the Mount, and would make him a better spinner overall. I think there was better than a horse for the course in there. Same with Somerville.

Edit - and if you're going to make someone a horse for a course, they need warm up games going into that instant performance situation. These guys don't get to build a rhythm like the mainstays.

Flem274*

123/5
Also I think I like Ravindra being our #4. He's still too loose to be a test opener when he will be playing 50-60% of his games in NZ and I don't think asking him to tighten up will necessarily get the best from him since he is a naturally dominant batsman. If he was playing for an Asian or Australian side then I'd be happy to pop him up top now.

Knock on wood he'll be ready for #3 when KW calls it a day.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes and no.

I think it was short sighted not to give Ajaz a more consistent run. It bit us in the arse at the Mount, and would make him a better spinner overall. I think there was better than a horse for the course in there. Same with Somerville.

Edit - and if you're going to make someone a horse for a course, they need warm up games going into that instant performance situation. These guys don't get to build a rhythm like the mainstays.
Somerville was particularly unlucky in this regard IMO, coming out of a locked-down Auckland where he could hardly have done much preparation.

Immenso

This bit is why I have Ajaz as the 3rd hardest player to replace from our great era.

Such a perfect fit for that team and their horses for courses policy. He didn't always hit the ground running in the first test (but even then he sometimes did), but gee he was pretty unfazed about being parachuted into overseas test cricket every early NZ spring with just a winter behind him.