• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Sunil1z

International Regular
This is a hideous argument and you should stop making it.
Why ? Western Countries have problem from Russia . So they have got the country banned in Olympics.

Whereas we have problem with Pakistan and so we give them visa after following a strict procedure.

I see both sets of country are mixing sports with politics

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Didn't realize the country of birth of Basil D'Oliveira's parents orchestrated a terrorist event killing 100s 15 years before in RSA.

I love how offhand @Ashes81 s comment about this is. Its almost like a privileged westerner who has no idea of what it is to be a victim of a terrorist attack lecuturing others on how immigration policies should be handled is not a good look.

Now, to engage the actual issue at hand, I have not read The Guardian's account but going by past experience I dont expect it to be neutral or factual. If ECB did ask BCCI and BCCI could not get the required evidences to speed up this process, then yes, I think we should blame the BCCI. But I would want better evidence than just The Guardian's reports to believe it.

And if the BCCI did present what was required and the Government still did not act faster, then it is definitely the Government's fault. But, its a lot of ifs so far.
There was terrorist attacks in London 2005. Pakistan played cricket at Lords/Oval the next year.

7 July 2005 London bombings - Wikipedia
Pakistani cricket team in England in 2006 - Wikipedia

Spark

Global Moderator
Why ? Western Countries have problem from Russia . So they have got the country banned in Olympics.

Whereas we have problem with Pakistan and so we give them visa after following a strict procedure.

I see both sets of country are mixing sports with politics
Firstly, Britain is not only not denying visas to Russian citizens, Russian citizens don't even need a visa to enter the UK at all. So that direct comparison falls apart immediately. Russian athletes are still allowed to compete in UK-hosted sporting events and international sporting events like Wimbledon and the Olympics, it's just representations of the Russian state - namely, the flag and anthem - which are banned. Not to mention that the actual proximate reason was nothing to do with the war in Ukraine at all but, you know, the massive, systemic state-backed program of drug cheating across the entire Russian elite sporting apparatus.

Most importantly though, the "bans" - which are nothing of the sort - are being maintained because of the war that is going on now. And killing civilians now. Not because of what happened 15 years ago.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Are you seriously comparing the attacks in London to what happened in Mumbai? 8-)

And when did you have terrorist attacks in London in 2008?
Edited my post to include actual attack I meant, thought it was later than that(I was 12 when the attacks occurred).

Then was thinking the 2010 series against Pakistan was the one that followed it.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Holy **** don't compare terrorist attacks to each other you insane people
Sunilz and HB engaged in whataboutery hard not to get drawn into it. But yes completely agreed.

I'd already said all that needed to be said anyway, before reacting to a post that was baiting me to mention 2005.

So the matter ends for me and should be taken up by the relevant stakeholders now, not divvies on a internet forum.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sunilz and HB engaged in whataboutery hard not to get drawn into it. But yes completely agreed.
Do you even read the post before you responded to it? I was talking about the process around visas. And pointed out the absolute idiocy of @Ashes81 s post pooh-poohing heinous terrorist attacks. Just because I responded to your post as well, doesn't mean every point in the post is about you. I clearly mentioned the posters' name that I was responding to.

Stop with the condescension and accept this is an issue you have ****ing idea about and just talk cricket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Most importantly though, the "bans" - which are nothing of the sort - are being maintained because of the war that is going on now. And killing civilians now. Not because of what happened 15 years ago.
Not gonna argue the rest of your post but you are very wrong if you think there have been no terrorist attacks since 2008 in India.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Do you even read the post before you responded to it? I was talking about the process around visas. And pointed out the absolute idiocy of @Ashes81 s post pooh-poohing heinous terrorist attacks. Just because I responded to your post as well, doesn't mean every point in the post is about you. I clearly mentioned the posters' name that I was responding to.

Stop with the condescension and accept this is an issue you have ****ing idea about and just talk cricket.
"Its almost like a privileged westerner who has no idea of what it is to be a victim of a terrorist attack lecuturing others on how immigration policies should be handled is not a good look."

You said this mate when it's not the case.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Firstly, Britain is not only not denying visas to Russian citizens, Russian citizens don't even need a visa to enter the UK at all. So that direct comparison falls apart immediately. Russian athletes are still allowed to compete in UK-hosted sporting events and international sporting events like Wimbledon and the Olympics, it's just representations of the Russian state - namely, the flag and anthem - which are banned. Not to mention that the actual proximate reason was nothing to do with the war in Ukraine at all but, you know, the massive, systemic state-backed program of drug cheating across the entire Russian elite sporting apparatus.

And IND is also not denying visa to Pak origin people. He will be available from 2nd Test . ECB should have known the rules better . Visa has already been approved. It just needs a stamp in the passport .

And the rules are being followed because IND - PAK are still in a state of Cold War and both sides routinely accuse each other of doing terrorism in their respective country .

If Russia war with Ukraine is a valid reason for suspension , then US should have also been suspended after 2011 for the war in Afghanistan.

I see politics in sports every where . Only some posters on CW pretend that IND is doing politics and what Western countries do with Russia as morally right .

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
"Its almost like a privileged westerner who has no idea of what it is to be a victim of a terrorist attack lecuturing others on how immigration policies should be handled is not a good look."

You said this mate when it's a pile of crap.
Nah, it defines exactly what a few posters have been posting here, including you.

Sunil1z

International Regular

You said this mate when it's not the case.
Yeah having 1 terrorist attack 18 years ago is remotely comparable to having terrorist accident every 6 months .

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Nah, it defines exactly what a few posters have been posting here, including you.
Yes I am not fully abreast of what has happened since the Mumbai attacks.

Still don't really see how questioning a third generation Pakistani who applied for his Visa 7 weeks ago denied entry is wrong. He'd not be getting called up to England for cricket if he was threat. Ben Stokes is more of a threat and your IPL sides have given him millions of pounds.

Your comment is false though. The UK experienced decades of terror attacks perpetrated by the IRA and has had other terror attacks following on from 2005(of which that is the most well known one) there was the Manchester arena bombing and London bridge attack only a few years ago, not like they've stopped. Just been lots thwarted.

Last edited:

Sunil1z

International Regular
Test series would be awesome because of Bazball . England are yet to lose a Test series since Bazball begin .

Test fan

U19 Vice-Captain
Now England team and their supporters has perfect excuse if they don't win first test . Lol
Enough of this visa discussion . rule should be followed by ECB if not then don't cry now .
Let's Talk about cricket .