• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

Gob

International Coach
But that was 5 years ago and he was in the form of his life. Now he seems to be in terminal decline and we all know he's susceptible early in his innings to any movement before his hand/eye coordination kicks in. It'll be interesting though, but if it fails in these 2 Tests then the search for an opener will probably start again for the next series (when is that?).
Averages 45 in that period

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But that was 5 years ago and he was in the form of his life. Now he seems to be in terminal decline and we all know he's susceptible early in his innings to any movement before his hand/eye coordination kicks in. It'll be interesting though, but if it fails in these 2 Tests then the search for an opener will probably start again for the next series (when is that?).
Straight after in NZ

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith got a double ton against the Windies last time he played them I think. I wonder if he'd be making this offer if say he was touring SA or England?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Except that's just not been his issue recently? His issues been grinding to 30-40(90) then finding a way to get himself out.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Bloke has 8 tons there. Are you walking the dog again?
Just back....

You need to get out of the past and into the present. 1 ton on a flat Lord's surface from number 4 in 2023, and we think he's going to improve on that as an opener?

Except that's just not been his issue recently? His issues been grinding to 30-40(90) then finding a way to get himself out.
He'll find a way to get out a lot quicker as an opener....

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Just back....

You need to get out of the past and into the present. 1 ton on a flat Lord's surface from number 4 in 2023, and we think he's going to improve on that as an opener?

Atleast smith has the balls to do it lol. Root's been pretty snug at 4 while england have had a million guys fail in the top 3. Bloke batted 3 for one series on some pancakes in the windies, got worked over by kyle mayers in the one bowler friendly deck in that series and made ollie pope do it in the home summer after that.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
If smith does open and green moves to 4, I have two questions. A)How do we manage green's bowling workload, and B) What would be considered a pass mark for smith and green respectively in those positions going forward?

Gob

International Coach
Just back....

lmao here's the same bloke quoting Clouderson's records from 2010/11 in the other thread

Ftr Smith's Lords ton was ****ing fantastic. They were put in to bat and it was overcast for most of the day with the ball zipping around. Now Joseph Root's only ton for the series in the first test that was a proper road

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
lmao here's the same bloke quoting Clouderson's records from 2010/11 in the other thread

Ftr Smith's Lords ton was ****ing fantastic. They were put in to bat and it was overcast for most of the day with the ball zipping around. Now Joseph Root's only ton for the series in the first test that was a proper road
I love how homie also ignores smith's hundred in the WTC just before the ashes, in england.

Gob

International Coach
If smith does open and green moves to 4, I have two questions. A)How do we manage green's bowling workload, and B) What would be considered a pass mark for smith and green respectively in those positions going forward?
a) Won't be an issue since the workload will be shared with Marsh
b) Anything double digit with 4 Infront would be good enough although it would **** his average. Same for Green although I have my reservations

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Atleast smith has the balls to do it lol. Root's been pretty snug at 4 while england have had a million guys fail in the top 3. Bloke batted 3 for one series on some pancakes in the windies, got worked over by kyle mayers in the one bowler friendly deck in that series and made ollie pope do it in the home summer after that.
He's offered to do it against one of the worst Test sides going at home in a bid to try and resurrect his falling average. Root has been largely holding England innings together.....and unlike Smith, he already has an Ashes ton as an opener.

Gob

International Coach
He's offered to do it against one of the worst Test sides going at home in a bid to try and resurrect his falling average. Root has been largely holding England innings together.....and unlike Smith, he already has an Ashes ton as an opener.
Now its resurrecting his average lol? I thought you said it would dent it?

And no no one was offering it to him because not many would have the balls to walk up to Steve Smith and ask him move from number 4 spot. Whole ****en thing started when Smith himself asked for it for the betterment of the team. What a champ

Yes Root made a down hill skiing ton on a road after England were leading by 300 because he was an opener then which makes it all the more ridiculous if he refuses to go up

You know what I'm out. You are dragging rest of us down to YouTube comment section level through your consistent changes in goal posts and opinion changes to suit your argument. Why the feck is Root even discussed here

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Why the feck is Root even discussed here
Coz Nintendo dragged him into the argument!!

And no no one was offering it to him because not many would have the balls to walk up to Steve Smith and ask him move from number 4 spot. Whole ****en thing started when Smith himself asked for it for the betterment of the team. What a champ
Which begs the next question, why wouldn't Smith want the next likely replacement for Warner (checks notes Bancroft) in the team???

There's something shifty about this request to open, only a one eyed Aussie seems to not be questioning it.