• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

Spark

Global Moderator
Whoever runs the 'CA PR' for lack of a better term is massively pro-Bancroft. I was thinking we'd get him or Green.
I don't really think the people who run that website actually know anything though. They're just putting together their own views like any other cricket fan would, albeit with a pro-CA tilt.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't really think the people who run that website actually know anything though. They're just putting together their own views like any other cricket fan would, albeit with a pro-CA tilt.
I kinda thought they might have been given an editorial line on it, given it seemed to be pretty ubiquitous. It didn't seem like it was just one person. Might just be a handful of partisan Westralians though.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well unless we're going to schedule every test match from now on at Junction Oval, Bancroft makes more sense than Harris.

Spark

Global Moderator
I kinda thought they might have been given an editorial line on it, given it seemed to be pretty ubiquitous. It didn't seem like it was just one person. Might just be a handful of partisan Westralians though.
I'm not convinced there is actually more than like three people running the show there. Particularly when it comes to the article content.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Harris opening was always the obivous choice given he got a CA contract and renshaw/bancroft didn't, right? Not like he's playing white ball stuff for AUS any time soon.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm pretty much at the stage of basically being ok with anyone but Green by now

Absolute insanity that the whole idea is even being given any serious thought. The sort of thing that could absolutely kill his career, can't comprehend how anybody could even think that is a risk worth taking

It's times like this I really hate following Australian cricket

Qlder

International Debutant
Smith to open just does not feel right, team looks much weaker for it

Khawaja
Smith
Labuschagne
Green
Head
Marsh
Carey

If this happens Bancroft and Renshaw may as well just become T20 guns for hire

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
The seriousness with which the "Smith opening" idea is suddenly being discussed tells me that they really really want Green in the team one way or another and will probably find a method of doing so somehow.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
An article in today's "Weekend West" suggests Bancroft will be overlooked as he wouldn't be popular in the Oz changerooms having suggested that the Oz bowlers knew about sandpapergate.
While that’s probably not the determinative factor, it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s some truth to this tbh.