• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Silver Silva

International Debutant
England test squad announced

Ben Stokes (Durham – captain)
Rehan Ahmed (Leicestershire)
James Anderson (Lancashire)
Gus Atkinson (Surrey)
Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Shoaib Bashir (Somerset)
Harry Brook (Yorkshire)
Zak Crawley (Kent)
Ben Duckett (Nottinghamshire)
Ben Foakes (Surrey)
Tom Hartley (Lancashire)
Jack Leach (Somerset)
Ollie Pope (Surrey)
Ollie Robinson (Sussex)
Joe Root (Yorkshire)
Mark Wood (Durham)

1st Test: India v England, 25-29 January, Hyderabad
2nd Test: India v England, 2-6 February, Vizag
3rd Test: India v England, 15-19 February, Rajkot
4th Test: India v England, 23-27 February, Ranchi
5th Test: India v England, 7-11 March, Dharamsala
How did Shoaib Bashir get picked with a FC bowling average of 67

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Quite surprised to see no Tongue and wouldn’t expect Hartley or Bashir to get a game. Atkinson is clearly someone identified as the new man for all formats.

chris.hinton

International Captain
He's done well in UAE with the Lions. Hartley is a strange choice. Right call for Chris Woakes to be left out and Foakes should be back in the line up

It will be interesting

ImpatientLime

International Regular
gotta respect the absolute pig headed refusal to call up Dawson over some child with 10 @ 67 in FC cricket.

also Pope in India on turners.......lol

kevinw

International 12th Man
Absolute joke selection. Frankly I hope we get hammered and if Bashir plays he gets the Kerrigan treatment.

FBU

International Debutant
Quite surprised to see no Tongue and wouldn’t expect Hartley or Bashir to get a game. Atkinson is clearly someone identified as the new man for all formats.
I thought Tongue should have been picked instead of Atkinson because of his height and has more Test experience. Spin options, Leach, Ahmed and Root. 5 Tests so Wood won't play in all 5 and Atkinson may have a chance.

kevinw

International 12th Man
So the bowlers will be Ahmed, Leach, one of Robinson or Anderson, and one of Wood or Atkinson. Root to turn his arm over. Christ.

Molehill

International Captain
I wonder if Tongue is fit, he was replaced by Potts for the Windies ODI's.

The Dawson non-selection stinks.

also Pope in India on turners.......lol
If he wasn't the VC I don't think he makes the team. Strongest Top 7 would be Crawley, Duckett, Bairstow, Root, Brook, Stokes, Foakes which also gives you the best keeper and someone who can play spin too.

Reactions: FBU

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Yes tough these days to know who was available for selection or not -ecb never seem to make public if players make themselves unavailable. Jacks toured Pakistan last winter and you'd probably expect him in this squad but isn't there. Dawson admitted recently in an interview he would make more money from PSL, than England test tour and would have a tough decision if he was selected. He's missed a few squads in the past where you might have expected him to be selected and he's played franchise cricket at the same time, without ever explicitly saying whether he was available for england. Hard to know whether they just don't rate him or he's unavailable or a bit of both.

squad certainly looks like a 5-0 loss squad and I don't think any changes would make a substantial difference to that likelihood.

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
According to Dobell (also a big Woakes fan) he wasn't asked.
Hmmm. His Woakes fandom does help his credibility for sure.

Weird one then. As the Egyptian said above, Dawson was on record at the end of the summer that he felt ambivalent about a Test call up. You'd have thought the ECB would've still tried sounding him out though.

Last edited:

RightArmMystery

U19 Vice-Captain
Good to see Foakes back, even though he's unlikely to get a game over Bairstow. Sucks that Dawson's not been called up, feels like he'd be perfect for this team given what he offers with bat and ball. Bashir's such a strange call-up.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hmmm. His Woakes fandom does hello his credibility for sure.

Weird one then. As the Egyptian said above, Dawson was on record at the end of the summer that he felt ambivalent about a Test call up. You'd have thought the ECB would've still tried sounding him out though.
My personal opinion, once he said he was ambivalent they were never asking him (if they ever were). I’ve not seen the quotes but apparently Jacks said something similar?

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Some strange selections and non selections.

No Tongue is odd - he must be injured.

But it's the spinners that stand out. I know nothing of Bashir but Tom Hartley is an odd choice as well.

I follow Lancs and Hartley is a slow bowler rather than a spinner. He bats a bit but I wouldn't have him near the test squad.

Presumably Dawson has pissed McCullum off as there's no justification for not picking him