• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***THE FINAL- India vs Australia - November 19th - Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad (D/N)

Spark

Global Moderator
\
I wonder if this was more the case with the ball than the bat tbh. Iyer nicked off early - **** happens. A number of others were undone by decent bowling and good plans. That and the tail being so long - they had to play more conservatively than they otherwise would. I think HB mentioned Pandya’s loss being important in that regard

but when they started bowling and they got some early wickets, I think that’s when they maybe got too excited and looked for the miracle ball a bit too much. I mean it was doing a ton, all you had to do was drop it on a length and you’d have got results. Not that they were atrocious first up, more a bit too eager to take wickets instead of being patient.
I think they definitely searched a little too hard for wickets upfront but it didn't matter because they got exactly the result they desired anyway, except for conceding a **** ton of extras of course. But after that they were clearly, massively impacted by the crowd getting so anxious and then outright depressed and the drop in intensity in the field was enormous. It wasn't quite the yawning abyss they fell into down here last November but it was still pretty stark just how lacklustre they got in the field. They really, really should have had Head run out on 100 and with 50-60 runs to go, who knows what happens after that, but their heads had already gone.

Gob

International Coach
I agree with this. I read somewhere that they stayed at the ground late the previous day so they could observe the conditions. Clearly they had plans in place for different players although some of it is probably luck or individual brilliance.
And smoke some local grass

Gob

International Coach
\

I think they definitely searched a little too hard for wickets upfront but it didn't matter because they got exactly the result they desired anyway, except for conceding a **** ton of extras of course. But after that they were clearly, massively impacted by the crowd getting so anxious and then outright depressed and the drop in intensity in the field was enormous. It wasn't quite the yawning abyss they fell into down here last November but it was still pretty stark just how lacklustre they got in the field. They really, really should have had Head run out on 100 and with 50-60 runs to go, who knows what happens after that, but their heads had already gone.
I guess the fact that this was the first time in the tournament that they were actually in a danger of losing probably made them bit numb when things started to go south. Australia on the other hand were on the brink several times so the whole occasion may not got to them all that much.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I wonder if this was more the case with the ball than the bat tbh. Iyer nicked off early - **** happens. A number of others were undone by decent bowling and good plans. That and the tail being so long - they had to play more conservatively than they otherwise would. I think HB mentioned Pandya’s loss being important in that regard

but when they started bowling and they got some early wickets, I think that’s when they maybe got too excited and looked for the miracle ball a bit too much. I mean it was doing a ton, all you had to do was drop it on a length and you’d have got results. Not that they were atrocious first up, more a bit too eager to take wickets instead of being patient.
I think the Indian bowling and fielding early on was poor.

Shami was pretty wayward, even Bumrah's 1st over was poor. The Kohli non catch summed it up for me - I know it didn't cost many runs but it sort of set the tone.

Rahul was poor behind the stumps as well, conceding quite a few needless byes. Although India took 3 earlyish wickets, you always felt it only needed 1 partnership and Head and Labuschagne duly delivered.

As for the Indian batting, the Aussies did bowl well and the Head catch to dismiss Rohit was vital. But none of the Indian batsmen was able to make that big score that was needed.

It would be too strong to say India bottled it, the pressure on them was massive and they couldn't quite cope with it as a team.

That's to take nothing away from Australia who in the field and with the ball were top class.

And fair play to Pat Cummins- not always the most natural of captains but I thought he lead his side really well.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah was some good planning. You need luck for it to come off though. The catch to get rid of Rohit was rare gold, for example. I don’t know if they planned to cramp Gill up on the pull shot or if that was just luck - was only the one bloke at an orthodox mid on for it. Sometimes you just have a day out
I couldn't work out if Gill's shot was due to him being cramped, or if he is just ****house.

I've rarely seen a bloke try to play a pull shot with his feet in a position that suggests he is going through cover. It looked awful.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its amazing we are saying all this and yet, Head played and missed (and exposed his stumps) every ball of the 8th over. One of those hits the bails or finds his edge, and we are most likely seeing a different result.

It also adds to how great an innings Head's was. Even if they had been 100/4, I think India would have been favorites, even with the dew.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Its amazing we are saying all this and yet, Head played and missed (and exposed his stumps) every ball of the 8th over. One of those hits the bails or finds his edge, and we are most likely seeing a different result.

It also adds to how great an innings Head's was. Even if they had been 100/4, I think India would have been favorites, even with the dew.
That's because Head is the Matisse of batting, creating masterpieces with unorthodox bat strokes.

Gill is sitting in a corner facing a wall finger painting with poo*.

* Or at least this should be his punishment for that shot in the final.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant

Had Shami been a little more accurate in his early overs, or had SKY and Jade taken the score to 270, the result could have been different

Sunil1z

International Regular

It was the same Head that triggered a batting collapse at Delhi Test . Got out to Ashwin on the first over of 3rd Day iirc .

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But after that they were clearly, massively impacted by the crowd getting so anxious and then outright depressed and the drop in intensity in the field was enormous.
Interesting point, but I wouldn’t say it was a clearly a massive factor. India has had this sort of drooping heads meek surrender many times in overseas tests where the crowds aren’t the same.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Had Shami been a little more accurate in his early overs, or had SKY and Jade taken the score to 270, the result could have been different
Nah needed minimum 290 .
And tbf needed a more proactive captaincy from Rohit . Guy gave up when Aus reached 150/3.

Spark

Global Moderator
Interesting point, but I wouldn’t say it was a clearly a massive factor. India has had this sort of drooping heads meek surrender many times in overseas tests where the crowds aren’t the same.
Yeah this is absolutely true, and is a serious - perhaps even fatal - problem in big games like these. But what happened yesterday wasn't that remarkable in the context of broader sports, you see it pretty often in this sort of situation (especially in football) and that's definitely what it looked like. If the crowd can be a big positive when it's all behind you, a nervous and zero-energy crowd can be really difficult to deal with psychologically. It takes insane mental strength to overcome that level of bad vibes.

Nah needed minimum 290 .
And tbf needed a more proactive captaincy from Rohit . Guy gave up when Aus reached 150/3.
I'm surprised he didn't have Siraj do what Coetzee did in the semi final and go around the wicket to both of them and start peppering them with a packed legside field. I've seen him do it before.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Agree totally about Shami bowling to Head. Yes Head rode his luck at times but Shami didn't bowl nearly enough balls in the right area to him.

Head is a brilliant stroke player but against the moving or swinging ball, he's poor.

But once the ball stops doing much, Head can be devastating. India missed their chances to get Head early with some wayward bowling and paid heavily for that.

Sunil1z

International Regular
There is something about these LHB and LHB that makes them clutch in knockout games . Sadly our best LHB is injured 🙁

clive lyod
Wasim akram
Klusener
Gilchrist
Yuvraj
Zaheer
Starc
Stokes
Travis Head

And many more I might have missed

Spark

Global Moderator
Agree totally about Shami bowling to Head. Yes Head rode his luck at times but Shami didn't bowl nearly enough balls in the right area to him.

Head is a brilliant stroke player but against the moving or swinging ball, he's poor.

But once the ball stops doing much, Head can be devastating. India missed their chances to get Head early with some wayward bowling and paid heavily for that.
People keep saying this I swear that most if not all of Head's best innings have come with the ball moving around a ton at the start. He lives dangerously but it is remarkable how consistently he manages to transfer pressure back onto bowlers in those conditions.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People keep saying this I swear that most if not all of Head's best innings have come with the ball moving around a ton at the start. He lives dangerously but it is remarkable how consistently he manages to transfer pressure back onto bowlers in those conditions.
Sucks early in general but when it swings he’s not good enough to nick it :ph34r:

Gob

International Coach

Yeah. Inglis was so getting bowled playing inside the line to Shami or Bumrah and Maxi probably walking across and get lb