• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Am I the only one here who rates Sunil Gavaskar slightly above Viv Richards in Test?

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Did my top 15 at the weekend. Strictly Tests so no Pollock and Headley due to sample size.

Bradman
Tendulkar
Sobers
Hobbs
Richards
Hutton
Lara
Smith
Hammond
Gavaskar
Chappell
Sutcliffe
Border
Waugh
Ponting.

If I'm writing a top fifty greatest cricketers OAT list, Pollock and Headley will definitely feature. But strictly in test cricket, think there needs to be a minimum sample. George is particularly unfortunate there because of the lack of tests WI played&then the War.

kyear2

International Coach
Thankfully the umpiring in the Caribbean was always just and scandal-free.
You just don't let go of anything do you.

I referenced one decision, as mentioned by Marshall himself, on if my memory serves correct, was a caught behind.

With regards to India, your great savior, Imran himself referenced India as the excuse / reason why he wanted neutral umpires because it was difficult to get fair decisions.

But you're always ready apparently.

kyear2

International Coach
Did my top 15 at the weekend. Strictly Tests so no Pollock and Headley due to sample size.

Bradman
Tendulkar
Sobers
Hobbs
Richards
Hutton
Lara
Smith
Hammond
Gavaskar
Chappell
Sutcliffe
Border
Waugh
Ponting.

If I'm writing a top fifty greatest cricketers OAT list, Pollock and Headley will definitely feature. But strictly in test cricket, think there needs to be a minimum sample. George is particularly unfortunate there because of the lack of tests WI played&then the War.
My list only differs by 3 names. Kallis, Pollock and Headley.

Sunil1z

International Regular
You just don't let go of anything do you.

I referenced one decision, as mentioned by Marshall himself, on if my memory serves correct, was a caught behind.

With regards to India, your great savior, Imran himself referenced India as the excuse / reason why he wanted neutral umpires because it was difficult to get fair decisions.

But you're always ready apparently.
Thanks God ICC introduced neutral umpiring . Now I know why Ambrose and Lara have such record against India . Otherwise WI umpire would have made sure that Lara averaged like Sobers and Ambrose like Marshall against India.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular

Bradman
Tendulkar
Sobers
Hobbs
Richards
Hutton
Lara
Smith
Hammond
Gavaskar
Chappell
Sutcliffe
Border
Waugh
Ponting.

No Kallis?

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Gavaskar is the best opener I've seen - his technique and temperament were outstanding.

Whilst I wouldn't put him above Viv, it's not ridiculous to do so.

These arguments about who is better than who always lack that indefinable quality that some players have, something that statistics, however deep you dig, just can't show.

That's what Viv had. It was the way he scored his runs, the mixture of timing and brutality.

He could destroy and demoralise an attack in a way that Sunny never could. He put fear into bowlers that his team mates often benefitted from. He scored the runs when they often mattered most.

I was lucky enough to see alot of Viv, both in the flesh and on TV. The stats don't back it up
but he's the best batsmen I've ever seen.

kyear2

International Coach
Thanks God ICC introduced neutral umpiring . Now I know why Ambrose and Lara have such record against India . Otherwise WI umpire would have made sure that Lara averaged like Sobers and Ambrose like Marshall against India.
I made a throw away comment regarding a single decision. One, that's it.

Coronis

International Coach
Walsh > Marshall > Ambrose imo

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
In the Caribbean Richards faced Marshall, Holding, Garner, Croft, Walsh, Patterson, Bishop, Daniel, Sylvester Clarke and Ezra Moseley, amongst others. In first-class matches when one or more of these ten bowlers were in the opposition, he scored 1238 runs at an average of 37 with three centuries. Garner dismissed him five times, nobody else more than twice. Richards did not face Roberts or Ambrose because they were his teammates.

In the English county championship Richards faced all these bowlers apart from Garner, who was now his teammate, and additionally came up against Roberts and Ambrose who were now opponents. His record was 3039 runs @ 46 with nine hundreds. Marshall got him five times and Walsh four.

Combined record 4277 runs @ 43 with twelve hundreds. A third of his dismissals were at the hands of one of the fast bowlers mentioned above.
Good post thanks

ma1978

International Debutant

Bradman
Tendulkar
Sobers
Hobbs
Richards
Hutton
Lara
Smith
Hammond
Gavaskar
Chappell
Sutcliffe
Border
Waugh
Ponting.

I find it really hard to find any reason to deviate from the names and the order of this list.

PlayerComparisons

International Regular

Bradman
Tendulkar
Sobers
Hobbs
Richards
Hutton
Lara
Smith
Hammond
Gavaskar
Chappell
Sutcliffe
Border
Waugh
Ponting.

Pretty good list