• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Am I the only one here who rates Sunil Gavaskar slightly above Viv Richards in Test?

Patience and Accuracy+Gut

State Vice-Captain
Worth remembering Gavasker made runs in Australia against Aussie attacks which was arguably the worst Australian bowling attack in entire history. The only time he faced Lillee in a series, Gavasker averaged 19. Also not to forget a average of 28 in 5 match series while playing for World Xi in 1971-72.

peterhrt

U19 Vice-Captain
I think someone pointed out earlier that Viv faced his own attack in domestic cricket and averaged under 40?
In the Caribbean Richards faced Marshall, Holding, Garner, Croft, Walsh, Patterson, Bishop, Daniel, Sylvester Clarke and Ezra Moseley, amongst others. In first-class matches when one or more of these ten bowlers were in the opposition, he scored 1238 runs at an average of 37 with three centuries. Garner dismissed him five times, nobody else more than twice. Richards did not face Roberts or Ambrose because they were his teammates.

In the English county championship Richards faced all these bowlers apart from Garner, who was now his teammate, and additionally came up against Roberts and Ambrose who were now opponents. His record was 3039 runs @ 46 with nine hundreds. Marshall got him five times and Walsh four.

Combined record 4277 runs @ 43 with twelve hundreds. A third of his dismissals were at the hands of one of the fast bowlers mentioned above.

kyear2

International Coach
In the Caribbean Richards faced Marshall, Holding, Garner, Croft, Walsh, Patterson, Bishop, Daniel, Sylvester Clarke and Ezra Moseley, amongst others. In first-class matches when one or more of these ten bowlers were in the opposition, he scored 1238 runs at an average of 37 with three centuries. Garner dismissed him five times, nobody else more than twice. Richards did not face Roberts or Ambrose because they were his teammates.

In the English county championship Richards faced all these bowlers apart from Garner, who was now his teammate, and additionally came up against Roberts and Ambrose who were now opponents. His record was 3039 runs @ 46 with nine hundreds. Marshall got him five times and Walsh four.

Combined record 4277 runs @ 43 with twelve hundreds. A third of his dismissals were at the hands of one of the fast bowlers mentioned above.
Because despite what most what to want to believe, great bowlers, particularly great fast bowlers statistically impacts great batsmen more than great batsmen statistically impacts great bowlers.

What impacts bowlers performances more are conditions

Just my personal observations and though processes.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
His record flatters to deceive. Yes he was a great player, an exceptional player, even an ATG player but it doesn't match up to to the reputation. He feasted on weaker WI and Aussie attacks during WSC and the hundreds he did score were only on the absolutely slowest of pitches. When he did face decent attacks on pitches that even offered the slightest assistance, he struggled. The same English team that Viv dominated, he averaged 38 against.
Yeah. Gavaskar is an absolute titan of the game and a top 10 bat of all time candidate, but his immediate averages outside Asia are quite flattering.
He had one amazing tour of England. Across the other four, he averaged 29. Only averaged above 40 in one of his five series' against them at home and that was the notoriously draw-heavy series in 81/82.
Two great tours of Australia, the first one is very commendable as it included hundreds at Brisbane and Perth against 70s Thomson with decent support, but the attack on the final tour was very inexperienced and he failed in the toughest of the three.
Similar to NZ, he struggled on the tougher of the two tours there. Struggled on his only tour against the West Indies battery also. Two hundreds at home to a rampant Marshall and Holding however is very commendable despite multiple lean scores in that series.

Last edited:

kyear2

International Coach
Yeah. Gavaskar is an absolute titan of the game and a top 10 bat of all time candidate, but his immediate averages outside Asia are quite flattering. He had one amazing tour of England. Across the other four, he averaged 29. Only averaged above 40 in one of his five series' against them at home and that was the notoriously draw-heavy series in 81/82. Two great tours of Australia, the first one is very commendable as it included hundreds at Brisbane and Perth against 70s Thomson with decent support, but the attack on the final tour was very inexperienced and he failed in the toughest of the three. Similar to NZ, he struggled on the tougher of the two tours there. Struggled on his only tour against the West Indies battery also. Two hundreds at home to a rampant Marshall and Holding however is very commendable despite multiple lean scores in that series.
Yup, as I said he was a great batsman. Marshall does swear that they had him dead to rights early in one of those hundreds and we were screwed, but that's part of the game.

Coronis

International Coach
The title describes itself..... I rate Gavaskar over Richards; not just because Gavaskar played for a much much weaker side, opened the innings and played more tests while still averaging more than Richards; but also as Richards never played against the best bowling unit of his era, against whom Gavaskar has ridiculous records (even barring his debut series, he still averages 54 in West Indies).
Define slightly.

Viv doesn’t even make Coronis’s top 15 bats I think
He was right around 15 last time I attempted a list, my opinions may have slightly changed since then

His record flatters to deceive. Yes he was a great player, an exceptional player, even an ATG player but it doesn't match up to to the reputation. He feasted on weaker WI and Aussie attacks during WSC and the hundreds he did score were only on the absolutely slowest of pitches. When he did face decent attacks on pitches that even offered the slightest assistance, he struggled. The same English team that Viv dominated, he averaged 38 against.
Up to that point I honestly thought you’d become a convert.

I rate Viv over Gavaskar.
IMG_8897.jpeg

Hmm so from what I understand we’ve been overrating the non-Windies bowlers and overrating Viv and underrating the non-Marshall Windies bowlers.

Garner doesn’t only have his batting to stand on now @Prince EWS