• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
English spinners basically have to be picked on the eye Test rather than results given this.

That's not ideal but you can make do.

The real problem even beyond that is that conditions are so stacked against them that good spinners don't even get a game a lot of the time. Averaging 40 as an afterthought in harsh conditions is one thing, not playing at all is another.
Yep, although not a supporter, I get to watch a bit of Surrey at the Oval. Traditionally these have been tracks that are most favourable to spin. However, over the last couple of seasons or so, I have been there in the April/May/September games and seen a whole load of grass on the pitch. A strong seam attack has usually triumphed but the collateral damage has seen the lack of progress of Virdi and Moriarty. The latter has moved to Yorkshire and ironically, the famously pro-seam venue of old in Headingley, is now perhaps a more balanced track and better for the twirly men.

Molehill

International Captain
It's interesting looking at overs bowled to see who is actually getting opportunities. Harmer is miles out in the lead with 477 overs (51 wickets). So Dawson's 35 wickets from 225 overs is quite impressive in comparison.

Div 2 stats tell a story. The top 5 wicket takers (all seam obviously) just happen to be 5 of the top 6 to have bowled the most overs, Raine the only one over 400. Carson's 271 overs shows he's getting chances, and given he's bowling on a Hove road half the time, his efforts maybe under-rated. He can also bat too, which is possibly why he's also getting chances! Rehan has bowled 134 overs for his 8 wickets (2 of which were yesterday).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Reportedly he was offered 3 years but Stokes only wanted one.

Agree that Wood is an odd choice for a 3 year contract, especially compared with only one year for Ollie Robinson. Ahmed, Atkinson and Archer other interesting picks.
Robinson I can understand…still concerns over his fitness and not a likely franchise pick.

Stokes said as recently as July he wanted to lead England into next Ashes, but this suggests he has doubts he will make it that far.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
only 2 years for a young gun like sam curran seems odd
Maybe sends a message that he needs to perform in more than one format?

I know that sort of logic isn't consistent with Root getting a 3 year contract, but Joe's situation is different.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well I guess we are only offering three years to the top level generational talents. Root, Brook, Stokes apparently. Wood I am not sure quite fits there, but.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Maybe sends a message that he needs to perform in more than one format?
he usually becomes great if his role is defined well. was really good as stand in captain for punjab in the ipl

if he's not doing well the problem is with leadership/management

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
he usually becomes great if his role is defined well. was really good as stand in captain for punjab in the ipl

if he's not doing well the problem is with leadership/management
There are no question marks about him in T20. But there are significant ones in longer forms, which are down to him, not leadership.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bit of a kick in the nads to Willey (pun intended) given he's actually in our current ODI squad.

Also: Jonathan Bairstow? La-di-dah. Literally never heard called that before. Why not Joseph Root, Christopher Woakes, Benjamin Stokes or Oliver Pope too then?

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Bit of a kick in the nads to Willey (pun intended) given he's actually in our current ODI squad.

Also: Jonathan Bairstow? La-di-dah. Literally never heard called that before. Why not Joseph Root, Christopher Woakes, Benjamin Stokes or Oliver Pope too then?
Agree, I thought that was odd, maybe he has let it be known, Prince style, that he wants to be called Jonathan from now on?

Strange the ECB announce on instagram, like to be seen to be trendy?

Presumably 3 years for Wood is to try and counter the idea that he may be in demand as an all year round franchise player worldwide

Development: Mahmood 26 years old, Fisher 25 years old

Shri

Mr. Glass
But there are significant ones in longer forms, which are down to him, not leadership.
he has only played tests so far under root's captaincy

and ODIs at any significant number under buttler's captaincy

he has not really had a shot under competent leadership/tactics

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
he has only played tests so far under root's captaincy

and ODIs at any significant number under buttler's captaincy

he has not really had a shot under competent leadership/tactics
Has played similar number of ODIs under Morgan as Buttler. And bad captaincy isn’t to blame for below par bowling.

I am a big fan but at the minute he’s not at the required standard in longer forms.