• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Carse ain’t taking the new ball, so who is?

Livingstone back in is a must. For a bowler.

Despite the whimpering effort on Saturday, batting is our strength so we need to play to that. Stack the batting and trust LL to get through his overs. It’s the only way forwards.

Molehill

International Captain
We also won the T20 WC since he took over.
Not buying into how much involvement he had in that. That team was there and ready for him and the players were all heavily involved in the top T20 Leagues so were getting plenty of practice. I think some of us feared what might happen here but the NZ series masked what was really going on.

Molehill

International Captain
Carse ain’t taking the new ball, so who is?

Livingstone back in is a must. For a bowler.

Despite the whimpering effort on Saturday, batting is our strength so we need to play to that. Stack the batting and trust LL to get through his overs. It’s the only way forwards.
And that was the utterly daft thing about Saturday. Our best bowler was the sick Rashid, yet apparently we'd decided the wicket suits pace and bounce and also chasing. How much more could they have got it wrong? Livingstone had even bowled really well against Afghanistan.

@trundler is probably right about Stokes this time, he's completely ****ed up selection and on this occasion has offered nothing himself. At least in the T20 he could bowl.

My 11 would be something like Bairstow, Malan, Root, Brook, Buttler, Livingstone, Moeen/Curran Woakes, Willey, Carse, Rashid

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And that was the utterly daft thing about Saturday. Our best bowler was the sick Rashid, yet apparently we'd decided the wicket suits pace and bounce and also chasing. How much more could they have got it wrong? Livingstone had even bowled really well against Afghanistan.

@trundler is probably right about Stokes this time, he's completely ****ed up selection and on this occasion has offered nothing himself. At least in the T20 he could bowl.

My 11 would be something like Bairstow, Malan, Root, Brook, Buttler, Livingstone, Moeen/Curran Woakes, Willey, Carse, Rashid
I was also right about the bowling attack lacking firepower.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I think we have become obsessed with chasing in recent years.

The attitude was that with our batting we can chase anything down. In fairness we did so many times.

But you have to be flexible as well. It was clear on Saturday, win the toss and bat first. But we've become obsessed with stats and with chasing.

We're in last chance saloon now so we might as well go for it.

I think Woakes will come back in for Topley and maybe Livingston for Atkinson for the extra batter.

We clearly very low on confidence - we are a much better side than we've shown and maybe, just maybe if we can find a way past Sri Lanka it will spark us in to action.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
I think we have become obsessed with chasing in recent years.

The attitude was that with our batting we can chase anything down. In fairness we did so many times.

But you have to be flexible as well. It was clear on Saturday, win the toss and bat first. But we've become obsessed with stats and with chasing.

We're in last chance saloon now so we might as well go for it.

I think Woakes will come back in for Topley and maybe Livingston for Atkinson for the extra batter.

We clearly very low on confidence - we are a much better side than we've shown and maybe, just maybe if we can find a way past Sri Lanka it will spark us in to action.
Livingstone needs to come back as a bowler, but I would stick with Atkinson and leave Wood out. Wood has been really ineffective and Atkinson at least showed some promise on a difficult day.

Molehill

International Captain
Livingstone needs to come back as a bowler, but I would stick with Atkinson and leave Wood out. Wood has been really ineffective and Atkinson at least showed some promise on a difficult day.
I'm not sure on what basis Atkinson was picked ahead of Carse anyway. One had been playing ODI's, the other hadn't. Carse can bat too...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Stokes walks into the team as a batsman, the idea you leave him out because of one innings is insane. If Stokes is fit he plays.

Molehill

International Captain
Stokes walks into the team as a batsman, the idea you leave him out because of one innings is insane. If Stokes is fit he plays.
Oh I agree, I just don't think he's remotely near being fit and I just wish he'd taken this time off to sort himself out for the upcoming Test Series.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
I'm not sure on what basis Atkinson was picked ahead of Carse anyway. One had been playing ODI's, the other hadn't. Carse can bat too...
I get the feeling that Atkinson is a bit of a project pick. They had obviously been looking at him across the earlier part of the season and him getting his name up in lights during the Hundred with his pace clearly got him in. Whether that is justified or not, I don't truly know, but I think he has potential and there clearly needs to be a phasing out of some of the old guard who have been woeful here.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I get the feeling that Atkinson is a bit of a project pick. They had obviously been looking at him across the earlier part of the season and him getting his name up in lights during the Hundred with his pace clearly got him in. Whether that is justified or not, I don't truly know, but I think he has potential and there clearly needs to be a phasing out of some of the old guard who have been woeful here.
Plus Atkinson emerged relatively unscathed on Saturday. Did enough to keep his place for me.

Molehill

International Captain
I mean there's project picks, but he wasn't exactly giving off Jofra Archer vibes. If he didn't play for Surrey I doubt he'd have been on the radar.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
his pace didn’t seem overly high tbh. Might have been a bit of nerves and/ or the conditions I guess

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
No, but that's a tough comparison. I agree with you that he probably wouldn't get a look in if he was with a less prominent county. However, he's had a pretty decent year form what I've seen of him and doesn't seem a ridiculous selection.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
It's a fair shout and Woody could have no complaints ihe was left out.

I'd stick with him though as if we are to go on a winning run, we need Wood to start firing.

Atkinson is a solid enough option but Wood can blow batsmen away. He hasn't looked like doing so to be fair but he can be a match winner - I don't see Atkinson doing that.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
During the bits that I followed, I thought that Buttler's handling of Atkinson was quite odd. After his first over went for 10, his second over only cost the one run. So it looked as if he was settling into his debut WC game quite well, but Jos decided he had seen enough and replaced him with Wood, who was really expensive. Atkinson's later overs probably took some tap when Klaasen got going, but so did everyone.

FBU

International Debutant
Wood top scorer in the last match. :-O Agree Livingstone has to come back. England like four fast bowlers but they would be better off with three.
Bairstow, Malan, Root, Stokes, Brook, Buttler, Livingstone, Carse, Willey, Atkinson, Rashid

v SL
Bairstow, Malan, Root, Stokes, Brook, Buttler, Livingstone, Willey, Atkinson, Wood, Rashid but I think Woakes will be back

Last edited: