• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***Match #20- England vs S Africa - October 21st - Wankhede (D/N)

Owzat

U19 Captain
Yes Willey was a 9/10 for us back when we had Plunkett.

He should have always been a top 6 bat. Completely wasted his talent.
or could have used him as I believe is/was the case for his county, opening (may be wrong, sure I've seen him opening the batting if only on a scorecard)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Early days but we seem a bit sharper in the field, and obviously bowling been good so far.

Owzat

U19 Captain
You would really want Livingstone at 7 but is Willey really worse with the bat than Woakes and Curran?

When you factor in Stokes I don't think the batting is any worse overall.
problem is which bowlers are so good and going to take so many wickets you can carry their (lack of real) batting...?

is essentially the same issue England face in Test series in India, except then they can just play a bundle of spinners and hope some bowlers perform with less expectation on 7-11 to play much of a batting role. I think we're mostly resigned to England struggles with the ball, problem is much much much pressure on the top six to produce the bulk of the runs

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That back foot extra cover drive with no real width to play with off a quick is as classy as a shot as it gets. Ridiculously hard shot to play with any sort of control.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
bowled I think 50.1 overs last World Cup, took 7 wickets. Should have long been used as an impact bowler in all formats, bar T20is which are barely long enough to do anything but short spell(s) 3-5 overs at a time in Tests, max, 5 overs max in any ODI and only if struggling for wickets.

What England had in 2019 was three bowlers who took 16+ wickets, on these surfaces I don't think any bar maybe Rashid and if he got his hits together Ali could get 16+

batting I think is weaker also, Roy out for Malan maybe fairly equal exchange, Morgan out for Brook has yet to be proven to be an upgrade in spite of one fifty in a losing situation
The issue with the batting is the middle order, no? In 2019 you had root-morgan-stokes to milk that 10-35 over period, and that ability to score quickly their is what set england apart from the other teams. Root-brook-buttler-livingstone just isn't the same. Brook doesn't have that ability to milk the middle overs without relying on boundaries yet and livingstone and buttler are guys you'de prefer walk out a bit deeper. Stokes being back should help that a bit.

King Kane

International Debutant
I haven't seen much of Topley before but he doesn't appear to be the most durable bowler going around.

or could have used him as I believe is/was the case for his county, opening (may be wrong, sure I've seen him opening the batting if only on a scorecard)
He opened for the Perth Scorchers in the BBL for a while, he wasn't much of a success in that role but he wasn't a complete failure either.

I wouldn't have thought his batting would be much worse than Woakes or Curran in the limited overs format.