• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of UAE and England 2023

Molehill

International Captain
Hahahaha. Yep. My reaction too. Literally no T20I series ever will go down in history.
You got me thinking trying to remember one. Funnily enough, the one that came to mind was the NZ v Eng one in which the decider was tied and went to a Super Over. Having said that, I had to look up whether it was tied at 1-1 or 2-2!! 😂

And the only other one was the very first T20 played in the 2005 Series with Australia. So that's basically 20 years of T20 series that haven't lived in my memory.

Point taken, I will never write that again.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You got me thinking trying to remember one. Funnily enough, the one that came to mind was the NZ v Eng one in which the decider was tied and went to a Super Over. Having said that, I had to look up whether it was tied at 1-1 or 2-2!! 😂

And the only other one was the very first T20 played in the 2005 Series with Australia. So that's basically 20 years of T20 series that haven't lived in my memory.

Point taken, I will never write that again.
What year was the Eng series? Memory tells me it might have been 2018? And the 05 one was a one off match? I can definitely remember moments and at a stretch matches, but not series'. The same I remember all the fine dining experiences I've had, but not the mince casseroles my wife regularly makes when she can't be ****ed and it's the cheapest option

And hahaha all good mate you write whatever comes into your head.

Molehill

International Captain
What year was the Eng series? Memory tells me it might have been 2018? And the 05 one was a one off match? I can definitely remember moments and at a stretch matches, but not series'. The same I remember all the fine dining experiences I've had, but not the mince casseroles my wife regularly makes when she can't be ****ed and it's the cheapest option

And hahaha all good mate you write whatever comes into your head.
It was Nov 2019, the Super Over obviously being key to my memory having come so soon after the World Cup.

I think my original point to this series was that you can have 4 decent matches that makes for an entertaining one, but frankly, none of them really were. And given that it's al about ODI's at the moment, it seemed pretty pointless anyway.

The next 4 games take on far greater importance.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doesn't have a solid game plan, technique against the in-swinging ball isn't tight. I think around 40% of his dismissals in T20Is are bowled or lbw, which is really high.
It's not technique for me, he's got the technique to be able to cope with a good in-swinger if he wanted to.

He's bowled/LBW so often because loses his shape & wildly slogs across the line. He often gets carried away premediating and completely loses his head primarily because he's an ego player who doesn't like doing the hard yards.

If he's going to premediate which most top T20 batsman do, he needs a back-out option if the ball isn't where he's hoping.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I'm pretty sure I went to a game of that 2019 NZ England series, and yet I remember absolutely nothing about it.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
It's not technique for me, he's got the technique to be able to cope with a good in-swinger if he wanted to.

He's bowled/LBW so often because loses his shape & wildly slogs across the line. He often gets carried away premediating and completely loses his head primarily because he's an ego player who doesn't like doing the hard yards.

If he's going to premediate which most top T20 batsman do, he needs a back-out option if the ball isn't where he's hoping.
Yesterday, he threw his head back in surprise after he was castled. Like, Finn, just what did you think was going to happen when you hoik across the line with zero footwork to a fullish inducker?! Brainless stuff.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Sounds like a fair analysis to me. I think not wanting to do the hard yards, whilst harsh, sums him up pretty well.

I don't think he needs to premeditate, unless he's coming down the track to break up consistent length. He can pull, drive, cut, all he needs to do is not get bowled and all of a sudden scores will probably start to flow in.

But there are going to be a host of bowlers attacking his stumps over the next couple of months and we'll find out whether he's smart enough, and worked hard enough to negate that

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm pretty sure I went to a game of that 2019 NZ England series, and yet I remember absolutely nothing about it.
Exactly. I remember bits and pieces from T20I games I went to, like the first ever one with the Marshall afro, the Cairns last game bowlout, CdGs debut when Gup didn't give him any strike etc...but ones I watched on TV, nothing. A series being decided by a bowloff! Yet I truly don't remember that, 4 years ago.

It has to factor into administrative thinking that you can't sell a product long term that is unmemorable and builds no nostalgia or mystique.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The 2022 Bangla Wash T20i Tri Series (between hosts NZ, Pakistan, and Bangladesh) which started with snow 2 days before the 1st match is unforgettable.
I remember this being in September or October, Azam scoring runs...but very little else.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
My main memory of that series is the opening game between Pakistan and Bangladesh had the most drunk camerawork I’ve seen in my life. Ball goes in the air and is caught at mid wicket - camera zooms all over the place at long off before focusing on the part of the crowd it thinks it’s been hit into.

They definitely had the work experience kids on that day. That or it was a failed AI camera operator experiment.

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
My main memory of that series is the opening game between Pakistan and Bangladesh had the most drunk camerawork I’ve seen in my life. Ball goes in the air and is caught at mid wicket - camera zooms all over the place at long off before focusing on the part of the crowd it thinks it’s been hit into.

They definitely had the work experience kids on that day. That or it was a failed AI camera operator experiment.
Deinitely the work experience kids. The main camera ops would've been working on the Women's RWC.

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
The T20 series that stick out for me are the Super Smash All-Stars series, especially the one this year in Pakistan. That Chapman century on the morning of Anzac Day is one that has stuck with me. For him to become the 6th BC to get a T20I century & join McCullum, Guptill, Munro, Phillips & Allen will always be slightly weird to me.

I'll never understand how Tom Latham's Ring-in Squad only lost 3-2 to Bangladesh, especially considering a much stronger Australia lost 4-1.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
It was somewhat annoying to let slip a 2-0 lead in a totally unimportant T20 Series, can only imagine what it must feel like to do that in a high profile Test one.
The T20 series that stick out for me are the Super Smash All-Stars series, especially the one this year in Pakistan. That Chapman century on the morning of Anzac Day is one that has stuck with me. For him to become the 6th BC to get a T20I century & join McCullum, Guptill, Munro, Phillips & Allen will always be slightly weird to me.

I'll never understand how Tom Latham's Ring-in Squad only lost 3-2 to Bangladesh, especially considering a much stronger Australia lost 4-1.
That Aussie team was very much a second XI aswell tbf.