• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of UAE and England 2023

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasn't there a BS tour of the USA around 2010 or so against the Windies with very low scores, too?

The only T20 I sorta remember with any lasting fondness was I reckon at the Cane Tin in 2018 v England. I feel like we lost, just, and Kane played an insane innings of 90 odd on a pitch where no one else could buy a run.

:laugh: After Googling it, turns out the game I meant was an ODI, and Kane made 110. Potentially got it confused with a week later when he made 72 at the same ground after Doull (and me) said he wasn't cut out for T20s

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha yeah I genuinely like T20s on horrible wickets. Probably because they're played more like early 2000s ODIs, which I also genuinely liked.
Yeah, exactly this. I really enjoyed a lot of the 2016 T20 World Cup for the same reason - lots of fun low-scoring games.

Obviously there was NZ's first game, where we got 120-odd and then spun India out for about 80, but I remember really enjoying all of these:

morgieb

There's something very charming about Peter Nevill playing and batting 10. Like a return to the 1920's or something, except it was only 7 years ago.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
It has to factor into administrative thinking that you can't sell a product long term that is unmemorable and builds no nostalgia or mystique.
Have you listened to upper-level managers speak? They're just keeping the trains running while they collect their pisstake salaries. There's nothing which incentivizes long-term vision.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Have you listened to upper-level managers speak? They're just keeping the trains running while they collect their pisstake salaries. There's nothing which incentivizes long-term vision.
Unfortunately I have, it's one of my great bugbears in life.

There is no excuse, however, in a non-profit like NZC who have obligations to stakeholders not shareholders.

I agree with you mostly...although I would say the thing that incentivizes long-term vision is authentic love of the game and the willingness/desire to serve the game over a longer period of time. Yes, you're right - there's nothing extrinsically that does that, particularly. But intrinsically, there is no reason the right person can't balance the here and now + running a sustainable product for 2023 and thereabouts, plus thinking 'where will this game be in 40-50 years when whole generations are gone? Where do we want it?' It can still inform decisions.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Had no idea the first ODI was tonight. This, All Blacks, Warriors, other World Cup rugby games...looming as a no sleep until Monday weekend

Also see Young has been confirmed to open ahead of Allen. Good call
That is good news. Hope he does well and nails the spot for the WC. Then KW can replace Nicholls in the middle order.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
No Boult seems weird after the hullabaloo with him coming back into the mix.

Don't hate Will Young opening, but I definitely do not like Nicholls at 3. Would much rather Allen, Conway, Young instead.

trundler

No Boult seems weird after the hullabaloo with him coming back into the mix.

Don't hate Will Young opening, but I definitely do not like Nicholls at 3. Would much rather Allen, Conway, Young instead.
Let's not get carried away. Besides, KW is supposed to be back anyway.

Mitchell did well at 3 in Pakistan so why not him?

ataraxia

International Coach
Let's not get carried away. Besides, KW is supposed to be back anyway.

Mitchell did well at 3 in Pakistan so why not him?
We're just scared that Young opening gives justification to play Nicholls at #3 if Kane isn't ready to return. Which would be awful.