• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

mackembhoy

International Debutant
The guy is something special. Move Malan or someone else if needed.
Who do you drop from the squad, when this is likely the first team? Stokes is the reason he's not in the squad.

Malan covers the top 4 as the backup batsman in the squad and he averaged 50 odd last season and 60 odd this season.

Bairstow
Roy
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Livingstone
Moeen
Curran
Woakes
Wood
Rashid

I like how nobheads like this don't actually put their neck on the line and say who should be dropped for Brook. Ben Stokes is the reason he's not in the squad it's a simple as that

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Brook struggled to make a run vs spin in the ipl batting in the middle order and couldn't consistently move the strike over vs it. Different format's, but that's not exactly what you want from your #4/5 in an indian WC. Malan atleast made runs on those Bangladeshi Bunsen's earlier this year.

Owzat

U19 Captain
It sounds to me like they've decided Archer is not going to be fit for the World Cup and won't be considered.

I don't think the Ireland series will decide much, in fact I'm not even sure most of the first team will even play it.
I'd be gobsmacked if the Ireland series decided anything, a banana skin for England to avoid and decision if to try some newbs for the future or risk injury to players likely to play for the World Cup

sounds like daft timing, then again England played the deshis ahead of the 2005 Ashes so maybe a confidence booster although surely you gain more confidence beating a side difficult to beat which deshis weren't then and Irish aren't now - hiding to nothing, win and it's expected, lose and wear a permanent egg facemask

Owzat

U19 Captain
Should Stokes even make the team if he's not bowling? Saw an article that Harry Brook would miss out if Stokes plays, surely Brook would be a better than Stokes purely as a bat
it then boils down to the Stokes factor which isn't a bizarre cricket talent show for TV but that he can seemingly do nothing in a tournament then single handedly basically win it.....

I know having read a lot of it that on BBC Have Your Say the regular posting was to drop Stokes during the T20 World Cup. He made 2, 6 and 8, then held England together to beat Sri Lanka with 42no, and did much the same in the final, 52no when England had slipped to 84/4 although for me the key was Shaheen Afridi getting injured, much is made of fielding saving runs etc, well his trying to save a few runs cost them the final basically (in saving or trying to, can't remember which, a boundary which would have cost no more than a poor ball did/does)

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
it then boils down to the Stokes factor which isn't a bizarre cricket talent show for TV but that he can seemingly do nothing in a tournament then single handedly basically win it.....

I know having read a lot of it that on BBC Have Your Say the regular posting was to drop Stokes during the T20 World Cup. He made 2, 6 and 8, then held England together to beat Sri Lanka with 42no, and did much the same in the final, 52no when England had slipped to 84/4 although for me the key was Shaheen Afridi getting injured, much is made of fielding saving runs etc, well his trying to save a few runs cost them the final basically (in saving or trying to, can't remember which, a boundary which would have cost no more than a poor ball did/does)
Tbf he did do pretty well in the 2019 odi WC in the group stage from memory.

Edit: Suck my balls, RIS.

Last edited: