• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Garry Sobers vs Jacques Kallis (as bowlers)

Who is the better bowler?

• Kallis

• Sobers

Results are only viewable after voting.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Okay, I thought Prince was speaking some agreed upon wisdoms, then he throws something as unorthodox as Kallis > Sobers as a batsman.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I like the RIS line on the Kallis vs Sobers as bowlers comparison.

Despite being vastly different, (in their career arcs, and utilization) I'd rate them as exactly even.

Young Kallis, was a sight to behold with the ball, for mine. Late in his career, he might get tossed the ball, and favorable conditions or no, he was just rusty and out of touch with his bowling.

His career would have been shorter, if he bowled as a quick more often, but I always saw extreme potential in him, as a bowler alone.

Bolo.

International Captain
Trundler saying Kallis wasn't an allrounder is dumb, but Sobers was used as a frontline bowler for his whole career while Kallis only was for the first part of it. Now he was definitely capable of that standard but they didn't need him for it and wanted him to focus more on his batting so he was used more stategically. On flat pitches Sobers bowled a lot of dry spin to keep the quicks fresh, but Kallis wasn't used much at all. This doesn't mean he wasn't a real allrounder or wasn't capable of being a frontline bowler, but it does mean his average is better than it would have been if he had to bowl harder overs more regularly.

And to bring up everyone's favourite topic, standardised averages:
Sobers - 31.04
Kallis - 32.06
Strongly disagree.

He bowled much harder overs than if he had been used as a frontline bowler. For the second half of his career nearly exclusively, and to a big extent in the first half he bowled the hardest overs in an innings- at set bats, not getting the new ball and not getting a shot at the tail. Other than a brief period in the early 2000s, he was basically only getting the ball when the others were failing, which is really not the time you want to be bowling. Would have likely been averaging 5+ less with the ball in the 1st 10 years of his career if he was picking when he bowled without regard to team requirements.

You can argue that he would have got more tired over the course of a game or career playing as a frontliner, which would have had an impact, but that wasn't his role, and a mediocre bowler isn't playing 166 tests as a frontliner.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Yeah his seam was at a better average than spin, is what I've been told. But, he had a meaningful workload, and performance throughout his career, and it was long. Don't imagine him doing a lot of seam stuff late in his career, for sure.

Edit: Basically, looking at scorecards, he seems to bowl more overs late in his career than early. I don't see that as being possible without heavy doses of spin.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I have the opposite opinion. I think Kallis had a higher ceiling as a quick bowler, but just so happened to be used less in that role.
My thoughts too. And this comes down to eye test - Kallis on his own, not seen Sobers. Kallis coming on to bowl never felt like a pressure release situation and that's quite valuable for a 5th bowler.

kyear2

International Coach
Sobers started his career as a spin bowler, batting in the lower order and was abysmal at both.
His bowling and figures greatly improved when he started bowling seam, but as PEWS pointed out, was called upon time to time to bowl the slower stuff again to cover overs to keep the others fresh.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Sobers started his career as a spin bowler, batting in the lower order and was abysmal at both.
Remarkably similar to Imran in that respect, barring the spin bowling bit. Could have lost the 2 greatest allrounders of all time, if selectors decided not to show faith or allow them back in the side.

Coronis

International Coach
Remarkably similar to Imran in that respect, barring the spin bowling bit. Could have lost the 2 greatest allrounders of all time, if selectors decided not to show faith or allow them back in the side.
Then Imran never becomes PM and never gets arrested.

peterhrt

U19 Vice-Captain
Out of curiosity, who here has seen Sobers bowl?
A few will have done. Kallis was quicker, certainly in his younger days.

Sobers enjoyed bowling as much as batting. Kallis didn't. As captain Sobers overbowled himself and sometimes batted as low as seven for a breather, which drew criticism. When county cricket took its toll his bowling declined but he still got through the overs.

During the second half of his career he usually opened the bowling in England where the ball swung more. Did so as late as 1973.

Probably just over half Sobers' Test wickets would have been in his quicker style.

shortpitched713

International Captain
When county cricket took its toll his bowling declined but he still got through the overs.
How much of that was shifting more to spin as he grew older? And how much better would you say he was at pace than spin?

Finally, just as a curiosity, do you know how much of the spin stuff was wrist spin compared to what I assume was more commonly orthodox?

Coronis

International Coach
How much of that was shifting more to spin as he grew older? And how much better would you say he was at pace than spin?

Finally, just as a curiosity, do you know how much of the spin stuff was wrist spin compared to what I assume was more commonly orthodox?
There was quite a good thread on Sobers’ bowling career - particularly these posts from SJS on the last page offer a great amount of info.