• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You're Team Selector - post your team XI

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm honestly not sure about Green he's not in great form with the Bat and lacks experience.

Two all-Arounders Maxwell and Stoinis is more than enough.

Labuschagne sure is overlooked here he definitely has the Game to be ATG in ODI cricket.

Green has been fantastic in ODI so far and is coming off a good IPL and test series in india, stoinis isn't an ODI allrounder, check his numbers since the 2019 WC. He's been moeen ali 25/50 split tiers of bad. Marnus is averaging 25 in his last ~15 games and didn't make runs over our india/sri lanka/pakistan ODI Leg recently, he's been binned for a reason.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I think Australia can win this ..

I'd go :

1.Travis Head
2.Mitchell Marsh
3.Steven Smith
4.David Warner
5.Cameron Green
6.Alex Carey (WK)
7.Glenn Maxwell
8.Ashton Agar
9.Pat Cummins
10.Mitchell Starc
11.Adam Zampa

Scoop_Shot

Cricket Spectator
Here's an XI of cricketers that have fallen out of favour. I don't necessarily think they should be picked for their teams but they're still quality cricketers. Some have retired now but wouldn't have if they hadn't been sidelined first or allowed to play on their terms.

Khawaja
Hales
Du Plessis*
H Sohail/Rayudu
Rossouw
Shahzad+
Imad
Linde
Willey
B Kumar
Amir

Not sure about the 'keeper. Better batting than bowling but I think it's a good side.
haris sohail was not fit and like a biscuit weak and Imad did not want to play odi, amir ruined himself after 2018 he was not the same

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
If I was selector:

1.Temba Bavuma (C)
2.Heinrich Klaasen (WK)
3.Rassie Van Der Dussen
4.Aiden Markram
5.David Miller
6.Dewald Brevis
7.Marco Jansen
8.George Linde
9.Simon Harmer
10.Kagiso Rabada
11.Anrich Nortje

Bench :

Tristan Stubbs , Keshav Maharaj , Gerald Coetzee , Corbin Bosch
Honestly this looks like a solid team however why the exclusion of Quinton De Kock and Lungi Ngidi and how to justify the inclusion of Linde and Bosch ? Even if either Ngidi or De Kock doesn't make the playing 11 surely they in the squad .

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Linde should absolutely play at 7 as the second spinner/spin bowling AR but you'd drop a pacer (Jansen imo) to play him. I'd open with QdK and have Klaasen down the order.

Silver Silva

International Regular
Here's an XI of cricketers that have fallen out of favour. I don't necessarily think they should be picked for their teams but they're still quality cricketers. Some have retired now but wouldn't have if they hadn't been sidelined first or allowed to play on their terms.

Khawaja
Hales
Du Plessis*
H Sohail/Rayudu
Rossouw
Shahzad+
Imad
Linde
Willey
B Kumar
Amir

Not sure about the 'keeper. Better batting than bowling but I think it's a good side.

Usman Khan Shinwari for Bhuvi Kumar ..

What a talented left armer , 34 wickets in 17 ODI matches at 18.61 , Hasn't played a game for Pakistan since 2019

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Honestly this looks like a solid team however why the exclusion of Quinton De Kock and Lungi Ngidi and how to justify the inclusion of Linde and Bosch ? Even if either Ngidi or De Kock doesn't make the playing 11 surely they in the squad .
1.Exclusion of Quinton De Kock
Talent wise he is in the side all day long , but I question his commitment and temperament ..
QDK is horrible at ICC events , a bit like India's issue with KL Rahul ..
In 17 innings in CWC he averages 30 and that's with 2 not outs ..
In the T20 WC he averages 24 from 18 innings ..
I also didn't like him retiring from Test cricket at the age of 29 when the team clearly was and still is in a bad space batting wise , I didn't like that whole fiasco at the T20 WC in 21 when he refused to play on the eve of the match , then returned and did the BLM stance anyway for the remainder of the tournament.. I feel his heart is in playing domestic T20 leagues around the world and he should continue to do so .

2.Exclusion of Ngidi
I have nothing against Ngidi , but Coetzee for me has the higher ceiling, he bowls atleast 10 kph quicker , he has some ability with the bat , he's athletic in the field for a fast bowler ..Ngidi if he's not taking wickets you're basically playing with 10 men cause he can be expensive , he's not great in the field and he's a genuine no.11 also he is a bit injury prone , but he does have great wicket taking quality and a class slower ball I'll give him that.

3.George Linde and Corbin Bosch
Linde has suffered from politics , there is no logical reason why he doesn't play any format for SA ..
He is a 3 dimensional player and would be a great asset to this team in India ..
Corbin Bosch is a punt, but I like him a lot ..He's a real tryer just like his father was and he has big match temperament , he's very similar to Chris Morris but a much better batsman .

trundler

Usman Khan Shinwari for Bhuvi Kumar ..

What a talented left armer , 34 wickets in 17 ODI matches at 18.61 , Hasn't played a game for Pakistan since 2019
Good call. He's still playing List A too. I don't recall any he was sidelined but there's an international quality pacer in there.

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
Linde should absolutely play at 7 as the second spinner/spin bowling AR but you'd drop a pacer (Jansen imo) to play him. I'd open with QdK and have Klaasen down the order.
I mualed over this comment for a bit as it's better to have 2 bowling all rounders in the squad like Coetzee/Jansen and Linde/Harmer as the spinner. Brevis and Markram can also play a role as spinners in the right conditions. Linde should replace either Maharaj or Harmer however not sure that will happen. Clear call about QdK and agreed. Strange how much I like Jansen as this was almost criminal to think about his exclusion but makes sense when thinking about what you stated.

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Green has been fantastic in ODI so far and is coming off a good IPL and test series in india, stoinis isn't an ODI allrounder, check his numbers since the 2019 WC. He's been moeen ali 25/50 split tiers of bad. Marnus is averaging 25 in his last ~15 games and didn't make runs over our india/sri lanka/pakistan ODI Leg recently, he's been binned for a reason.
My memory is not great in ODI cricket so my bad I noticed green average is 50.33 compared to Stoinis 28!.

IPL is different format so is Tests against India but point taken Regardless.

Check my Updated Australia XI Green now in the Starting team with Stoinis out.

In terms of Labuschagne I still he can turn his ODI form around into Successful Career. maybe not at this world Cup but who knows Injures can Happen.

Labuschagne struggles will eventually end in ODI cricket he's way to Good of player to discount in any format.

Last edited:

trundler

should add Kamran Ghulam
Nah, he doesn't fit the theme. It's supposed to include guys who have had international success but aren't a part of current plans. I think these guys would form a very good team if they're all fit. KG isn't even that unlucky in the grand scheme of things. Hain still hasn't played a game for England.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Strange how much I like Jansen as this was almost criminal to think about his exclusion but makes sense when thinking about what you stated.
Jansen doesn't have a very good limited overs record. You'd expect him to improve over time, but leaving him out at the moment isn't a ridiculous call.

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
Jansen doesn't have a very good limited overs record. You'd expect him to improve over time, but leaving him out at the moment isn't a ridiculous call.
Yea I get that however a tall left handed fast bowler who can Bat, maybe the era I'm coming from however for me is worth his weight in gold. Especially in ODI. I also feel he has had enough time and can be very valuable paired with Rabada and Nortje in the right situation similar to Ngidi with the ball if used correctly add the fact that he has the ability with the bat to score a lot of runs quickly at the end paired with guys like Stubbs and Miller. I get that he hasn't earned it yet. Just something about his skillset and what that can mean for this team. Again it's my bias speaking so I get it.

Silver Silva

International Regular
Yea I get that however a tall left handed fast bowler who can Bat, maybe the era I'm coming from however for me is worth his weight in gold. Especially in ODI. I also feel he has had enough time and can be very valuable paired with Rabada and Nortje in the right situation similar to Ngidi with the ball if used correctly add the fact that he has the ability with the bat to score a lot of runs quickly at the end paired with guys like Stubbs and Miller. I get that he hasn't earned it yet. Just something about his skillset and what that can mean for this team. Again it's my bias speaking so I get it.
Jansen is an investment for sure , look at Ben Stokes amazing to think he wasn't deemed good enough to be in the 2015 WC squad considering the impact he would have on English cricket in years to come .

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Bairstow
Malan
Root
Duckett
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Woakes
Wood
Rashid
Archer

If Joffra isn't fit, I'd go for Sam Curran and bat him at 8.

We'll open with Roy but I like Malan and Root at 2 and 3.

We'll also probably go with Brook but I'd go with Duckett as he's excellent against spin in those middle overs.

Molehill

International Captain
Bairstow
Malan
Root
Duckett
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Woakes
Wood
Rashid
Archer

If Joffra isn't fit, I'd go for Sam Curran and bat him at 8.

We'll open with Roy but I like Malan and Root at 2 and 3.

We'll also probably go with Brook but I'd go with Duckett as he's excellent against spin in those middle overs.
The problem with this team (and with Stokes returning to be honest) is it leaves us with just 5 bowlers plus Root. I am starting to wonder though if Stokes might be able to bowl 5 or 6 overs per game, not unlike he did in the World T20.

I don't think Duckett has any chance of making the squad.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Roy Bairstow Root Brook Stokes Buttler Ali Curran Wood Rashid Archer

This is the England XI that I predict will play the opening game.