• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is not logical.
Forcing SL to bowl no name pace bowlers, something they are responsible for themselves, leads to worse quality cricket just as forcing other teams to bowl part time bowlers because they fell behind the required over rates does. SL's away tests would be a lot more competitive on turning wickets too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Forcing SL to bowl no name pace bowlers, something they are responsible for themselves, leads to worse quality cricket just as forcing other teams to bowl part time bowlers because they fell behind the required over rates does. SL's away tests would be a lot more competitive on turning wickets too.
Yeah I understood what you were saying and it’s not a logical response to the issue.

Some people care more about over rates than others, sure. So I’m not trying to be dismissive. But to pretend that teams having to adapt to overseas conditions is comparable to teams bowling **** bowlers to make up time is silly.

trundler

Yeah I understood what you were saying and it’s not a logical response to the issue.

Some people care more about over rates than others, sure. So I’m not trying to be dismissive. But to pretend that teams having to adapt to overseas conditions is comparable to teams bowling **** bowlers to make up time is silly.
My point is that getting your frontline bowlers to bowl at an acceptable pace is the bowling team's responsibility and they are responsible for failure to do so. It's an extreme example but logically consistent with the idea that worse quality cricket is to be avoided no matter who is responsible for it.

91Jmay

International Coach
Surprised in the Aussie players/coach crying over the ball so much (sans softlad Khawaja). Would think they should focus on the lack of ability to play a moving ball or some of the get out shots.

Xix2565

International Regular
I get that it's a bit dumb because the batting side of things isn't really being scrutinized heavily for doing their part in slowing things down. At the same time, it's not like you're being forced to play on these wickets with these bowlers lol.

Daemon

The concept of points deductions as penalties is fine. The current penalty schedule is pretty evidently harsh though imo.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Lol I don’t know how England lost more points for over rates. Seems like Aus wasted more time this series especially test 4-5

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Have four batsmen at once on two wickets. Two bowlers on. If a fielder catches two balls at once the whole team is out

loterry1994

International Debutant
But they still really need to fix over rates. You have bowlers talking to their captains or other bowlers like every over. Umpires letting whatever happen to waste time. Spinners bowling like 15-20 overs a day, the extra 30 minutes used most days and that still can’t bowl the overs.

trundler

Eliminate lunch and tea. Give the players some protein bars during drinks to keep them going. It's very doable.
The Hulkster's special vitamins would be better suited for this. Mark Wood would know where to find them. :ph34r:

kevinw

International 12th Man
But they still really need to fix over rates. You have bowlers talking to their captains or other bowlers like every over. Umpires letting whatever happen to waste time. Spinners bowling like 15-20 overs a day, the extra 30 minutes used most days and that still can’t bowl the overs.
I think 15 overs per hour, in pace-dominated conditions, is tougher - particularly when batters are more aggressive. It's much easier in India when batters are literally trying to survive against Jadeja and Axar Patel and they can tear through an over in two minutes. I think over rates should be more flexible. That said, didn't AUS bowl 9 overs in an hour at one point? The umps have to step in. They let all this crap happen on the field.

loterry1994

International Debutant
I think 15 overs per hour, in pace-dominated conditions, is tougher - particularly when batters are more aggressive. It's much easier in India when batters are literally trying to survive against Jadeja and Axar Patel and they can tear through an over in two minutes. I think over rates should be more flexible. That said, didn't AUS bowl 9 overs in an hour at one point? The umps have to step in. They let all this crap happen on the field.
yeah that’s true there should be some more leeway in certain situations. But I think bowling under 80 overs is not going to cut it at this level when you’ve had a decent amount of overs bowled with spin and an extra 30 minutes to an hour played in the day. Something really has to be done

ataraxia

International Coach
At least this silly scoring system is biased towards non-Big3 teams, being per over rather than adjusted for number of matches played.

And at least it might encourage overs to be bowled on time!

ripper868

International Coach
Have four batsmen at once on two wickets. Two bowlers on. If a fielder catches two balls at once the whole team is out
Just bowl from both ends at the same time to both of the batsmen that are in, do away with running between wickets, just award points (formerly runs) for zones that the ball reaches from the bat. In fact, have 2 bowlers for each end so there is no time wasted for them to return to their mark. Actually,. be rid of bowlers, just set the bowling machines to set a pre-selected sequence of deliveries inputted via computer by consensus vote every 12 seconds form the genral public - there are only 2 options - both are Wagnarball.

I've saved Test Cricket.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Absolutely ****ing ridiculous. I'm just imagining the packed Oval crowd on day five sitting there pissed off at the over rate bellowing for Stuart Broad to be taken off so we can see Joe Root run through some overs to fill a quota. **** off.

These 2 sides have just put up a series for the ages and their getting spanked for it for essentially ripping off the punters. **** off once again.

OverratedSanity

You all are bring absolute babies taking the whole "bowl spinners more" way too seriously.

There was no reason for the pace bowlers to be bowling as slow as they did this series. I don't give a rat's arse about slow over rates personally and think the penalty system is ridiculous, but you're being dumb if you think bowling part timers more in this series was the solution. Instead of the normal bowlers just getting on with it.