• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

Molehill

International Captain
Perhaps Australia and England should just have agreed to bowl 10 overs of spin a day (maybe in one block) which would be nudged back to the bowler to escape a fine?

Molehill

International Captain
Yeah.. how stupid is it that a sport can have time limits..
The problem is, it's not really the same limits for a match in Sri Lanka as it is in England.

England and Australia have just produced arguably the most entertaining Test Series for 20 years played in front of full houses. England have been rewarded with less than the W Indies managed from a rain affected draw in a 2 Test series that was watched by virtually no one.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bowling your overs in time is very much part of a test match.
It really shouldn't be.

Deliberate time-wasting is one thing that does need to have a mechanism to punish and discourage.

Having to constantly think about the over-rate or even worse, having captains bowl part-time spinners to catch up if they fall behind, is IMO 1000% worse than losing five overs in a day, though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It really shouldn't be.

Deliberate time-wasting is one thing that does need to have a mechanism to punish and discourage.

Having to constantly think about the over-rate or even worse, having captains bowl part-time spinners to catch up if they fall behind, is IMO 1000% worse than losing five overs in a day, though.
Led to the hilarity of 2008 BG series when Ponting bowled White and Clarke(??) to start a game breaking session though. :laugh:

Molehill

International Captain
After just 3 days of play, teams were 28 overs short.

238 overs bowled + 4 for changeover
= 242 out of 270
I think minus 2 as Aus finished their first innings at the end of the day. Aus effectively got less of a fine (despite their bowling rates being pretty much identical) because England scored faster.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
90 overs a day is not at all an unapproachable standard. It's been done with 4 pacers even. I have no sympathy for any team failing to meet this minimum standard out of their own incompetence. You shouldn't be in a situation where you have to bowl a part timer to catch up to begin with. If you do end up there, tough titties.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
90 overs a day is not at all an unapproachable standard. It's been done with 4 pacers even. I have no sympathy for any team failing to meet this minimum standard out of their own incompetence. You shouldn't be in a situation where you have to bowl a part timer to catch up to begin with. If you do end up there, tough titties.
The batting team slow down the overrates too though

trundler

The batting team slow down the overrates too though
Umpires exist and have clocks. I agree that there should be some measure to prevent batsmen from wasting time too. It's not a perfect system but it is a step in the right direction.

Molehill

International Captain
Are we sure they've even got the numbers right here anyway? If Wilson and Dharmasena couldn't get the number of overs left in the day correct on Monday, I don't entirely trust them with this more complicated calculation.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Umpires exist and have clocks. I agree that there should be some measure to prevent batsmen from wasting time too. It's not a perfect system but it is a step in the right direction.
Clocks are a bad idea too if you mean timing each over

again, it’s on the umpires to keep the game going. God knows they don’t really do much

trundler

Clocks are a bad idea too if you mean timing each over

again, it’s on the umpires to keep the game going. God knows they don’t really do much
Nah I meant they should take note of batsmen ****ing around and account for that. Think they do so already but this should definitely be taken into consideration and penalised where appropriate.