• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

halba

International 12th Man
Stokes? Wood?
More than half of them do on current form
Bairstow makes in it as a batter - 4th test was crazy hitting.
Of course on career averages not many do, but on current form, Aus form is terrible, they should've lost that match by an innings
I have already written off Aus to either a defeat or a draw for the final test- reason being they are simple unable to play Wood and Woakes in the current form, and the bowlers are simply too expensive and panic too easily against bazball, and are poorly led by Cummins.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Harsh to say and all in hindsight now because the forecasts weren’t 100% clear but you can say Stokes declaration might of costed England. Brook and Stokes shut up shop day two for no reason after belting Australia for like 6 an over they should have had around a 120 lead the end of that day. Then come out day 3 and get a lead of like 170 and declared but they were worried about guys getting milestones.

They ended up getting four wickets day 3 imagine they had an extra 1.5-2 hours to bowl at Australia that day and had them 6-7 down coming into day 4 then it’s a whole different story.

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
Choice of Duckett is interesting because surely based on the four Tests you’d pick Crawley and Khawaja as the openers
If it was a Team of the Series so far then someone like Marsh is getting in.

The team I was alluding to was a literal best in their position, it was based on form over the last 2-3 years rather than being a career (hence no Warner/Anderson) or series thing (hence no Crawley/Wood/Woakes/Starc).

I picked Duckett over Crawley because he's quite clearly the better of the two right now - their record speak for themselves.

There's definitely a few conversations to be had and I think Hazlewood v Woakes is a good one. If Bairstow could catch then his h2h with Carey would have also been a good one.

Spark

Global Moderator
If it's form over the last two or three years then Hazlewood is close to the last bloke you'd pick because he basically has none.

Spark

Global Moderator
If 40 wickets at 25.35 is the last bloke picked then I need to go lie down.
Yeah, fortunately for him he was considered so completely ineffective in subcontinental conditions that he wasn't considered for selection after one game in those conditions. A very good thing for maintaining a superficially good record.

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
Yeah, fortunately for him he was considered so completely ineffective in subcontinental conditions that he wasn't considered for selection after one game in those conditions. A very good thing for maintaining a superficially good record.
You could also add the context that the one game was his first back from injury. The entire attack got belted that test and there's no shame in being dropped for a second spinner in the subcontinent.

Spark

Global Moderator
You could also add the context that the one game was his first back from injury. The entire attack got belted that test and there's no shame in being dropped for a second spinner in the subcontinent.
That doesn't explain why he was never considered for selection after that one game. It's not as if there weren't any spots available for fast bowlers after that.

It certainly doesn't explain why we should take his average at face value when it certainly would have looked much worse had he played those Test matches that Starc and Cummins played in those conditions. Or, to make more of a point, why he gets in over Robinson, who did play those games.

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
That doesn't explain why he was never considered for selection after that one game. It's not as if there weren't any spots available for fast bowlers after that.

It certainly doesn't explain why we should take his average at face value when it certainly would have looked much worse had he played those Test matches that Starc and Cummins played in those conditions.
My guess would be that they weren't going to drop the captain and Starc provides something different, for obvious reasons. Both their numbers that that series improved after the first test so there's no reason to just assume Hazlewood couldn't have done the same.

Regardless you seem to have a Hazlewood agenda. That same "superficially good record" is about to see him cruise past Hoggard and Swann.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
If it's form over the last two or three years then Hazlewood is close to the last bloke you'd pick because he basically has none.
If 40 wickets at 25.35 is the last bloke picked then I need to go lie down.
From 1 Jan 200
Worse average than Broad, Anderson, Cummins, Robinson, Wood, and Boland. Better average than Starc, but Starc has left-arm variety, more pace and is a decent 8/9 while Hazlewood is a poor 11.

Spark

Global Moderator
My guess would be that they weren't going to drop the captain and Starc provides something different, for obvious reasons. Both their numbers that that series improved after the first test so there's no reason to just assume Hazlewood couldn't have done the same.
But they didn't. Because he wasn't picked. So therefore that average should not be taken at face value in comparison to bowlers who did have to play in unhelpful conditions and got the statistical whacking that resulted. It's particularly silly as an argument that he deserves to get in over the likes of Robinson and Anderson who by and large have actually played in those conditions and did okay (or in some cases really well).

Regardless you seem to have a Hazlewood agenda. That same "superficially good record" is about to see him cruise past Hoggard and Swann.
We're just talking about the last three years here, no? You know, the ones where he's barely strung two games together without getting injured or dropped?

loterry1994

International Debutant
Don’t think they’ll drop hazlewood mainly cause of loyalty but his 5fer was one the worse I’ve seen. England was in t20 mode all their first batting innings someone was bound to take a 5fer. That being said it won’t be easy for Neser or Murphy to come in also and not expect to get belted when they haven’t had much game time this series

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
From 1 Jan 200
Worse average than Broad, Anderson, Cummins, Robinson, Wood, and Boland. Better average than Starc, but Starc has left-arm variety, more pace and is a decent 8/9 while Hazlewood is a poor 11.
Well at first I thought suggesting Boland would have resulted in some hate but seems on reflection maybe I should have put him ahead of Hazlewood.