• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

the big bambino

International Captain
While England were clearly better in this game both sides would have to reflect on their tactics. Australia's bowling was as bad as England's batting was brilliant. I'm not so sure the wickets have been fast - at least at the length we bowled. English pitches are 'quicker" at a different length. When its pitched up and seaming they go at a fair clip. Bashing the middle - not so much.

The weather forecast was always a factor and Stokes batting on seemed in defiance of it. Eventually it gave Marnus the time to save Aus along with the weather. So Stokes appears to have declared too early and too late in this series. Both hard judgments but Aus has benefitted from them.

halba

International 12th Man
Aus need to rethink their strategy. their line and length was totally off. i would like to see fuller lengths be employed for the 5th test. it is much more difficult e.g. to drive on the up and hit big shots off a fuller length. They can even resort to yorkers if they start bazballing- isnt that the T20 antidote?

Full fast- in swing yorkers - not many batters can play it.

that pitch wasnt suitable for bumpers.

Should be fuller and off stump line for test match cricket with off side field protection. Stop bowling short- hittable lengths.

Qlder

International Debutant
So funny reading that "England were robbed of the Ashes" and "cruel that series decided by rain"

England have not won the Ashes because they lost the first two tests. There's a reason only Don Bradman's team have ever won a series from 0-2 down

Kraken

State Captain
there's been so much chat about the weather and everything else, so won't even go into that. What has been lost in the shuffle a little is the innings Marnus played. I mean it goes without saying we could've used that in the first innings, but that was a really good, under the pump 100. Definitely needed it, as away runs is his biggest issue. Hopefully this kicks him into gear and a massive dig in the 5th

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
Agree- poms would be leading 3-0 if they prepared 'fast' and 'green' wickets. The entire plan was an abysmal failure. The two tests that Aus won- they benefited from the flatness in the pitch.
Don't think traditional English pitches would be described as "fast". They are more conducive to some sideways movement though (and keep the ball in better shape for longer). Usually kryptonite for Aussie batsmen. Trying to make them faster and harder/bouncier will always help the Aussies.

After winning 4 tosses in a row and the Aussies always seemingly batting under clouds and bowling in sunshine (first 3 at least) you would normally expect the poms to be well up.

Seems to be a similar ethos to the ODI stint the poms had (not to the same extent though) where the pitches got ridiculous. Prefer the old WSC days where 200+ was a reasonable score and there was a contest between bat and ball.

Spark

Global Moderator
Massive shame. 2-2 going into a 5th test is something I've never seen in my time of watching cricket, robbed of a potentially epic finale.
I do think that had this gone in 2-2 then England would be enormous favourites for later this week; the level of public intensity and hype around that game in England would have been off the charts. Would have been very difficult to contain for Australia.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
While England were clearly better in this game both sides would have to reflect on their tactics. Australia's bowling was as bad as England's batting was brilliant. I'm not so sure the wickets have been fast - at least at the length we bowled. English pitches are 'quicker" at a different length. When its pitched up and seaming they go at a fair clip. Bashing the middle - not so much.

The weather forecast was always a factor and Stokes batting on seemed in defiance of it. Eventually it gave Marnus the time to save Aus along with the weather. So Stokes appears to have declared too early and too late in this series. Both hard judgments but Aus has benefitted from them.
I personally think an earlier declaration and this still ends a draw - all speculative though. Knowing now what we do about the weather, we needed to dismiss Oz for 200 first up. As frustrating as the lack of conversions no doubt was for you Aussies, the 40s and 50s first up are what ultimately secured the draw IMO.

the big bambino

International Captain
I personally think an earlier declaration and this still ends a draw - all speculative though. Knowing now what we do about the weather, we needed to dismiss Oz for 200 first up. As frustrating as the lack of conversions no doubt was for you Aussies, the 40s and 50s first up are what ultimately secured the draw IMO.
Yes it was always going to be a hard game to win if the forecasts came true. From what I've heard a forecast for rain in Manchester is probably the most trustworthy forecast you could get. England made the game with their batting but I was consoled they went on even though I may have been worrying unnecessarily.

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
I thought at the time that putting the foot down and getting the Aussies back in late day 2 chasing 150-180 was the way to go. It might not have worked, but we know that what they did failed to get a result.

Would have been very disappointed in Cummins if he just patiently played out the day and then let the match drift next day because his mate looked like getting a score. At that stage I was hoping Bairstow would get a double ton, every over they used up was always going to help us.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And now the tanties start...

There have been some massive sooks in this series. Reminds me of the typical reaction to 'Bants™', which is it's funny if we say it, but we'll get upset if you do.

If it didn't rain, I would have refused to speak to anyone for a week, but that clearly has nothing to do with this.

tony p

State Regular
England lost the Ashes, not through Bazzball, but by failing in the fundamentals.

Taking wickets off no balls, dropping more catches than their opponents (Bairstow's runs negated by his sloppy glovework), and some poor batting at Lords.

Do the fundamentals better, you win more than you lose.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Choice of Duckett is interesting because surely based on the four Tests you’d pick Crawley and Khawaja as the openers

halba

International 12th Man
I too struggle to understand why teams don't just bowl 540 yorkers a day.
Maybe to bazball more relevant, actually why they didn't do it from the start, they've known bazball for months now.

Atleast fifth test, the coaches will be hard at drills on fuller length especially starting with Cummins who needs to go back to the basics. He was looking a club bowler.

Spark

Global Moderator
Choice of Duckett is interesting because surely based on the four Tests you’d pick Crawley and Khawaja as the openers
Perhaps we should think of Duckett and Lord's the same way we think about Woakes and home Tests