• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stumped!

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Point made on the affect and agree , its a double edge sword for me tough , on top leagues it was very frustrating having horrible losses and inconsistent performances that ended up in me being relegated from div one with a team that was 68k rated on average . I feel everyone feels this and i also believe everyone that has been on stumped for 5 seasons or more has experienced this in some form or another , there was so many complaints they tried to change the engine however that was even worse than original and it was suppose to address the inconsistency etc .

You will have highs and lows , the community is great and here its even better I'm sure if we discuss things it will benefit all . There is so many ways to try and address problems . I for one had one where I struggled with getting a insane batting lineup to perform the way I want and was so focused on the players , positions etc. that I posted and someone suggested making my home ground more of a difficult ground to bat on than the flat track that I taught will benefit a batting lineup that was insane . and i did it and immediately had a impact when my team chased high scores consistently. Still lost and other irregularities and so on but was able to get a better approach by reaching out . .

Just realized that my planned future captain for TNT is going to give me the same problems as you had... absolute Warne of a player...

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain

Just realized that my planned future captain for TNT is going to give me the same problems as you had... absolute Warne of a player...
I dont know what to tell you , with a player like that you want an incredible run for them . I am still not convinced it was that , it might be a combination , still getting irregular results but not as bad as in the past . One thing to mention since then and now i had a superstar opener and keeper , so another conclusion can be to what most believe on the superstar trait , do not have more than one . This might translate to any negative debuff to entire squad like influential as well , that it multiplies or affects much harshly if there is 2 de buffs . My point stands that im very weary of any team de buffs . Maybe youll be ok if you follow that by just having him and only him that can negatively impact team at any time however i cannot say it for certain because of low sample size .

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
@JOJOXI congrats on the win!
I don't mind losing this game it was a great inning from Fairhurst to win them the match. Put huge pressure on TNT.

But again showing the irrelevance of having BQ as a number and how faulty rating numbers actually can be.
That's an unfortunate loss , and ratings show quality , quality doesn't always result in well results . The 29 rated 18 year old scored 69 runs against you , that is very unlucky . A lot of contributing factors however his star in Fairhurst definitely hurt there ,only his 4th hundred .

StephenZA

That's an unfortunate loss , and ratings show quality , quality doesn't always result in well results.
See this is something I fundamentally disagree with. At best it give an indication of the apparent skill numbers of the players and circumstances.

I am literally a numbers man, and I dislike numbers that are 'hand waving' arguments of apparentness... I would rather just not have them because they lead you down blind corners. BQ and the ratings table are bad 'stats' done badly.

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
See this is something I fundamentally disagree with. At best it give an indication of the apparent skill numbers of the players and circumstances.

I am literally a numbers man, and I dislike numbers that are 'hand waving' arguments of apparentness... I would rather just not have them because they lead you down blind corners. BQ and the ratings table are bad 'stats' done badly.
Agree they are mis leading but not in the way you describe they use stats as face value , comparing a 29 rated bat with a 38 rated bat for example . But that's face value and doesn't translate in performance . Player comparison is exactly the same , there is so much more to it , it gives you a flatline but that's it , in number terms it shows you plus and minus however outcome determine by square root of multiplication and division of those numbers in question with multiple equations forming part of each square root within the base line when facing the other . I am a numbers man as well and don't have to much of an issue with it as it is just a quality determination .

StephenZA

For me talking about skill numbers before you`ve put them through the actual equations are pointless, since we don't know how those numbers get affected by the equations... never mind the apparent and deliberately built in randomness of the system. For me it becomes stats for stats sake rather than having anything truly meaningful that can be relied on to say anything of value. I would rather just have the results occur and we as managers can determine our own feelings and stats for the team post the games. (Which I know we can do!) I've just learned to detest and ignore the pre-game stats numbers as rather meaningless.

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
For me talking about skill numbers before you`ve put them through the actual equations are pointless, since we don't know how those numbers get affected by the equations... never mind the apparent and deliberately built in randomness of the system. For me it becomes stats for stats sake rather than having anything truly meaningful that can be relied on to say anything of value. I would rather just have the results occur and we as managers can determine our own feelings and stats for the team post the games. (Which I know we can do!) I've just learned to detest and ignore the pre-game stats numbers as rather meaningless.
That would defeat the purpose of the game , seeing the result before the game starts . Its similar to any ratings system or any valuation system that i know off , We still need to the rest to determine true value and not face value . Interesting point of view and get some of it , i just never really put any value on it other than what i stated .

Jarquis

Dude, are you genuinely saying you’d don’t believe there’s any correlation between ratings and performance?

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
Dude, are you genuinely saying you’d don’t believe there’s any correlation between ratings and performance?
Of coarse there is , its calculated on raw numbers before calculation and formulas . Around base weight of 100 000 max thus 20 x 5 value in per player . So how i look at it , 60k vs 50k is 60% vs 50% . Also the highest rating I've seen is thrashings at around 85k so 80% . Thus highest achievable weight is not possible . And its the same numbers that go into the calculation so yes . Not sure where ive made the impression i dont think so , just don't put as much value on it .As its %.

StephenZA

Correlation is not causation... of course high skills result in overall better performance but there is too many factors hidden for the ratings etc even the BQ to be of true value.

That would defeat the purpose of the game , seeing the result before the game starts . Its similar to any ratings system or any valuation system that i know off , We still need to the rest to determine true value and not face value . Interesting point of view and get some of it , i just never really put any value on it other than what i stated .
I would just rather not see anything than what we currently have. I only started playing Stumped a few years ago and I had to learn not to put any real value in to the numbers we have been given. For a person that initially looked at those numbers as something valuable I had to learn that they where not, because I thought they (the developers) where trying to provide us real information. I now know its largely superficial. I also understand why.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hunt, the 40 max skilled bowler is somebody I am very glad I persisted with. He is also why my bowling rating is low at the beginning of the innings. But right now he is doing a better job than most other higher skilled bowlers I`ve had opening the bowling. I had to learn that, and learn the value of the traits.

I`ve said in the past that I think traits are very underrated compared to raw stats. The best teams though go for both because they can afford it.

JOJOXI

International Captain

JOJOXI

International Captain
Hunt, the 40 max skilled bowler is somebody I am very glad I persisted with. He is also why my bowling rating is low at the beginning of the innings. But right now he is doing a better job than most other higher skilled bowlers I`ve had opening the bowling. I had to learn that, and learn the value of the traits.

I`ve said in the past that I think traits are very underrated compared to raw stats. The best teams though go for both because they can afford it.
On traits both my openers have the opener trait - only reason they are both opening otherwise I would probably bin Allman and have Noble as a number 7/8 as his bowling is developing.

Albeit with Noble having better bowling and Mustafa 5/45 with opener trait might sell Allman after CWC9