• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

chris.hinton

International Captain
Can't see England losing. Australia are desperate for something and have packed the batting but with a fresh James Anderson its going to be folly. And we will win the toss and bowl Australia out for 150

Blenkinsop

U19 Vice-Captain
Does seem like Aus are stacking the batting so as to make not losing the prime objective.

Is there any example in Test history of that actually working? The few times I can remember England doing it it's always backfired.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Does seem like Aus are stacking the batting so as to make not losing the prime objective.

Is there any example in Test history of that actually working? The few times I can remember England doing it it's always backfired.
England sort of did in 2005 replacing the injured Jones with Collingwood.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would have thought getting to the opposition would be better to do by not revealing. By revealing 2-3 days out, it means they don't have to do any preparation work on the guys you haven't picked. No need to do any work on Murphy, because he's not playing (OK I know they would've scouted him before third Test, but nevertheless). And no guesswork on whether you're bowling to Warner, Harris, Marsh, Green etc. For Australia, they know Moeen is batting 3 so they'll have a ready-made plan. And they know the bowling line-up to prepare for. I hate it too.

I guess it's for the media and some 'you scratch our back, we'll scratch yours' thing. If I'm Baz and I'm a visionary and a sharp brain as I claim, I want Australia knowing at the toss what my XI is, and no earlier.
The smart play is to make like 3 changes at the toss and pretend that you had some injuries during warmups.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would have thought getting to the opposition would be better to do by not revealing. By revealing 2-3 days out, it means they don't have to do any preparation work on the guys you haven't picked. No need to do any work on Murphy, because he's not playing (OK I know they would've scouted him before third Test, but nevertheless). And no guesswork on whether you're bowling to Warner, Harris, Marsh, Green etc. For Australia, they know Moeen is batting 3 so they'll have a ready-made plan. And they know the bowling line-up to prepare for. I hate it too.

I guess it's for the media and some 'you scratch our back, we'll scratch yours' thing. If I'm Baz and I'm a visionary and a sharp brain as I claim, I want Australia knowing at the toss what my XI is, and no earlier.
You weaken your point by the missing the fact that this Australian team obviously doesn't do any research and their only plan is 'if in doubt, bowl short'.

Molehill

International Captain
Yeah that's fair but last I heard the club was still trying to have their cake and eat it too - phase them out, but try to do so slowly and silently so no one really notices and no toes are visibly stepped on. Doesn't work imo.
Of course it doesn't work. I first came across Millwall fans in the 80's, it was the first (and thankfully last) time I'd ever seen a group of fans build a bonfire on terraces at a football ground!! I'm afraid it's in the breeding and they enjoy the fact they have a dishonourable reputation.

Mind you, there are some very decent fans of theirs too, eg Danny Baker. But to suggest all of the UK is akin is just plain ridiculous.

Gob

International Coach
I actually thought it was an okay decision given the circumstances but now that I remembered Neser's existence, yeah Neser for Murphy would have made lot more sense

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You weaken your point by the missing the fact that this Australian team obviously doesn't do any research and their only plan is 'if in doubt, bowl short'.
Seems the default plan B through Z, doesn't it? It was galling to watch v Wood in both innings and Woakes in the 4th.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
If this pitch turns and Moeen actually takes wickets I wouldn't be surprised, and it just proves that the marketing people are picking the teams, to make sure it goes to a 5th Test decider, and also to make sure 3 big chad allrounders are playing in the match, not the nerdy guy with the glasses

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Woakes I get but they set the field to that horribly and overdid it without enough good length variety to challenge footwork.
I actually think this is key. It's not so much that the short-pitched strategy is wrong, it's that there's not enough subtlety towards it. Even Johnson didn't use it as Plan A-Z. Though yes, it probably isn't wise against big swinging hitters.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Woakes I get but they set the field to that horribly and overdid it without enough good length variety to challenge footwork.

Wood, though...
Yeah bouncing Woakes actually makes heaps of sense given he'd probably average 35+ in Tests if bouncers were illegal.

Bouncing Wood is dumb though, and it almost made me think they just got 'lucky' with their plan to bounce Woakes - accidentally bowling to his weakness without knowing why.

halba

International 12th Man
Is Cameron Green a No Rounder? He certainly classifies as one. Tentative with the bat and expensive with the ball. He will be targeted.