• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think I’ve posted about that night before and as it kicked off my mate and I were talking to two Millwall fans who had been telling us the knobheads were slowly being phased out. They looked so gutted when it all went off.

That’s not to defend Millwall btw. I know not the percentage of the fanbase that makes up the scum. The one time I went there, in 04, was such a creepy experience. Fans would go right up to players, as far as the boundaries would allow, and dish out abuse. Any other ground in England and you did that, out you go. But Millwall rules apply and if your hands are in your pockets then everyone is relieved.

Scary place.
I went to a game there years ago & in my complete ignorance, wore a pair of Australian rugby league socks which were unfortunately the colours of the opposition

I was in real trouble until one of the leaders realised that I was an Australian and didn’t know any better

Victor Ian

International Coach
Another one for you…if Wood takes three wickets in the match then it will be the first time in Test Match history that a side has fielded six players with 100 or more wickets
That must be near, or at, top of the list for most wickets total in a side

Anthony Clayden

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
That must be near, or at, top of the list for most wickets total in a side
McGrath, Warne, Lee, Gillespie

Gillespie was at 259 at his last test on 16 Apr 2006
But the last time they all played together was 3 Aug 2005

An attack with 1521 wickets, on that date they were Warne 1 (603), McGrath 2(513), Gillespie 5(251), Lee 18(151) on Australia's all time wicket takers.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Had a think about the teams today and I truly cannot get my head around the logic to leak or release teams 2-3 days before a Test and such a vital one. Why give the opposition any head start about who they are going to be coming up against? I don't think it happens in many other Tests series ever. I can only think it's there as some sort of relationship with the media to help them drum up interest.

Spark

Global Moderator
Had a think about the teams today and I truly cannot get my head around the logic to leak or release teams 2-3 days before a Test and such a vital one. Why give the opposition any head start about who they are going to be coming up against? I don't think it happens in many other Tests series ever. I can only think it's there as some sort of relationship with the media to help them drum up interest.
2-3 days is pretty early but the Aus sides have been announced at least the day before for a while now. I don't get it either, I can only assume like you that it's marketing-related.

Victor Ian

International Coach
McGrath, Warne, Lee, Gillespie

Gillespie was at 259 at his last test on 16 Apr 2006
But the last time they all played together was 3 Aug 2005

An attack with 1521 wickets, on that date they were Warne 1 (603), McGrath 2(513), Gillespie 5(251), Lee 18(151) on Australia's all time wicket takers.
England’s team for 4th Ashes Test
  • 1. Ben Duckett
  • 2. Zak Crawley
  • 3. Moeen Ali 200
  • 4. Joe Root
  • 5. Harry Brook
  • 6. Ben Stokes 197
  • 7. Jonathan Bairstow +
  • 8. Chris Woakes 136
  • 9. Mark Wood 97
  • 10. Stuart Broad 598
  • 11. James Anderson 688
= 1916

Even just the front 4 would take quite easily.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I hate it. It's gotta be combination of playing things up for the media and some weird way of trying to get the opposition psychologically.

It's not the worst I've heard of. Yallop mentions in his 78/79 Ashes book that the selectors would pick the teams during the previous test (and there was a longer gap in those days). The meant there were some players playing a match knowing they had been dropped for the next one.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I hate it. It's gotta be combination of playing things up for the media and some weird way of trying to get the opposition psychologically.

It's not the worst I've heard of. Yallop mentions in his 78/79 Ashes book that the selectors would pick the teams during the previous test (and there was a longer gap in those days). The meant there were some players playing a match knowing they had been dropped for the next one.
I would have thought getting to the opposition would be better to do by not revealing. By revealing 2-3 days out, it means they don't have to do any preparation work on the guys you haven't picked. No need to do any work on Murphy, because he's not playing (OK I know they would've scouted him before third Test, but nevertheless). And no guesswork on whether you're bowling to Warner, Harris, Marsh, Green etc. For Australia, they know Moeen is batting 3 so they'll have a ready-made plan. And they know the bowling line-up to prepare for. I hate it too.

I guess it's for the media and some 'you scratch our back, we'll scratch yours' thing. If I'm Baz and I'm a visionary and a sharp brain as I claim, I want Australia knowing at the toss what my XI is, and no earlier.