• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

the big bambino

International Captain
If the weather is bad then maybe there isn't enough time in the game for a front line spinner. Especially if days 4 and 5 are impacted. 5 (or 6 seamers depending on Warner getting picked) and Travis could be the selection here.

Molehill

International Captain
In an ideal world, Moeen wouldn't be playing let alone batting at 3. But we lost both our first choice spinner and number 3 batsman to injury, so he's filling in. It allows us 4 seamers at the back end and at least two of them have shown they can cause serious mayhem down the order. There's method to the madness.

What's really ****ing stupid though is picking an opener who has scored 236 in his last 16 innings in England and averages under 15, especially when there's another opener in the squad. At least Moeen has another string to his bow, what is Warner's?

chris.hinton

International Captain
Weather Forecast

Wed - Showers in early afternoon, Evening will be dry with sun
Thurs - Dry all day.
Fri - Some showers possible
Sat - Rain all day
Sun - Rain all day

Grim
The forecast now

Wed - Looking drier then previously
Thurs - Dry all day
Fri - Some showers are possible
Sat - Rain all day
Sun - Showers and some Rain in late Afternoon

Aside from Day 1. This hasn't changed much.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
In an ideal world, Moeen wouldn't be playing let alone batting at 3. But we lost both our first choice spinner and number 3 batsman to injury, so he's filling in. It allows us 4 seamers at the back end and at least two of them have shown they can cause serious mayhem down the order. There's method to the madness.

What's really ****ing stupid though is picking an opener who has scored 236 in his last 16 innings in England and averages under 15, especially when there's another opener in the squad. At least Moeen has another string to his bow, what is Warner's?
The other opener isn't exactly Sir Donald...

Molehill

International Captain
I don't think you'll find a single person who disagrees with you.
In which case, why not explore other options like England have by putting Moeen at 3? Are they just hoping it comes right with Warner because history would suggest it doesn't.

Does opening with either Marsh or Green weaken the team?

halba

International 12th Man
i hope david warner fails and aus lose the game- cos its time for a change and if thats what it takes for aus selectors to realise - so be it.
Any aussie fan is sick of warner by now.

halba

International 12th Man
The forecast now

Wed - Looking drier then previously
Thurs - Dry all day
Fri - Some showers are possible
Sat - Rain all day
Sun - Showers and some Rain in late Afternoon

Aside from Day 1. This hasn't changed much.
looks enough for a result. Need only 3-3.5 days this time. Aus cant bat more than 250 runs anyway v Wood, Broad and Woakes and co.

Todd murphy likely dropped for the 4th test

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
In which case, why not explore other options like England have by putting Moeen at 3? Are they just hoping it comes right with Warner because history would suggest it doesn't.

Does opening with either Marsh or Green weaken the team?
Are they hoping it comes right, without any basis for doing so? Yes. He's been a sub-par Test opener for about 5 years, and he's progressively getting worse. I guess the only hope is he scores his out of the arse big score like he has over the past few years, like the 335 against Pakistan, 200 v SA around a lot of failures. Did bat reasonably well v India in the WTC final and at Lord's for a while.

Does opening with Marsh or Green weaken the team on current form? No, not really.

I think that Australia's mentality is that they don't want a stop-gap, devil may care, what do we have to lose No.3 like England have. I don't think the Australian cricket mentality would allow it, even if it seemed like a good idea on balance.

And the fact that Marcus Harris is the back-up, is dire. I haven't heard this word in ages but the fact the back-up Australian Ashes opener averages 25 from 14 Tests and 24 completed Test innings is un-Australian.

halba

International 12th Man
Are they hoping it comes right, without any basis for doing so? Yes. He's been a sub-par Test opener for about 5 years, and he's progressively getting worse. I guess the only hope is he scores his out of the arse big score like he has over the past few years, like the 335 against Pakistan, 200 v SA around a lot of failures. Did bat reasonably well v India in the WTC final and at Lord's for a while.

Does opening with Marsh or Green weaken the team on current form? No, not really.

I think that Australia's mentality is that they don't want a stop-gap, devil may care, what do we have to lose No.3 like England have. I don't think the Australian cricket mentality would allow it, even if it seemed like a good idea on balance.

And the fact that Marcus Harris is the back-up, is dire. I haven't heard this word in ages but the fact the back-up Australian Ashes opener averages 25 from 14 Tests and 24 completed Test innings is un-Australian.
Aus has its worst batting depth in domestic FC cricket- ever in its entire history IMO
a bunch of 20 -25 type ave players in FC- poor.

Shades of West Indies here- team never recovered its batting depth once all the greats of the 80s 90s/00s retired. Same as aus - losing all its 80s/90s/00's greats and now its got very very soft depth.

ITs fast bowling depth is occasionally there however- just like Aus has Cummins, Starc and Hazlewood - Windies have guys like Roach, Joseph on fast wickets can do some damage, but the batting depth and lack thereof will be a concern for a very long time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I know, but I'm just wondering what the state of affairs is whereby Harris gets a game. Does he need to attend Warner's funeral first?
I think the selectors rate him a lot higher than most of the public. Most of us want Warner gone in theory but we'd pick someone other than Harris to replace him. If it's going to be Harris then some of us would prefer Warner be persisted with even if it's not ideal.

Qlder

International Debutant
I know, but I'm just wondering what the state of affairs is whereby Harris gets a game. Does he need to attend Warner's funeral first?
Well Warner already said FU to selectors by announcing his retirement after 3rd test vs Pak at SCG next year, so after that

Last edited:

CartyDurham

International Captain
If the weather is bad , I can see England attempt to bat for 50 overs at ODI and T20 pace, declare and then hope to bowl Australia out

I reckon they would look to score 300 off 50 overs in the first innings then declare if the weather is to be bad

they have to win so declarations will be in play

this of course depends on the toss and if they are inserted or choose to bat .

halba

International 12th Man
Should be a result here. Aus won't last more than 60-70 overs against the likes of Wood, Broad, Woakes

Wood is world class and scary. He's the new white lightning- throwback to Donald days. He is in career best form.

Eng bat super quick, so definitely will get a result