• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Meridio

International Regular
Oh wow, that was ****ing village before he planted his bat in the dirt. Woeful.

I've just watched one 10 second clip so I have no strong basis for this, but I hope Finn isn't getting too swept up in seeing the sights and earning easy coin, when he could be a beast of an international player if he really wants it. From all I hear, he's not working hard enough or sacrificing enough yet.
I'm sure I've said this on here before, but I remember playing against Finn Allen when I was over in the UK. Even allowing for the fact that he was 19 (I think?) at the time he struck me as immature, a bit lazy, too-cool-for-school, and just a bit of a brat. Was hoping he'd grow out of it, plenty of people do, but I am getting the feeling with him that he's never really going to live up to his talent. Hope I'm wrong.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Nah it's a misjudgement of a stride or two from what lazy players often do already. I'm surprised this sort of run out crops up so little.

edit: though it looks like he might have purposely dropped the bat?
Bat got stuck in the ground, it was more obvious from other replays.

thundaboult

International Debutant
I'm sure I've said this on here before, but I remember playing against Finn Allen when I was over in the UK. Even allowing for the fact that he was 19 (I think?) at the time he struck me as immature, a bit lazy, too-cool-for-school, and just a bit of a brat. Was hoping he'd grow out of it, plenty of people do, but I am getting the feeling with him that he's never really going to live up to his talent. Hope I'm wrong.
i get the impression that he cares when it actually matters

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
NZ cricket on SENZ for the next four years. Includes internationals for men and women, and men’s and women’s domestic t20 and one day finals.

I imagine they’ll have Smithy there since he hosts a show, and Coney has been doing the Ashes on their channel so maybe him too.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder how we'll contrive to lose a series to South Africa this time
Almost certainly the same way they did last time - SA's excellent quick bowlers spark a collapse on a day 1/2 wicket, and then SA cling on to their advantage, eventually wearing down our aged bowling attack on a flattening wicket and relying on Maharaj to do the mopping up work in the 3rd/4th innings.

I don't think there's much of a gap between the two teams anymore, it's just their relative strengths are very lop-sided. SA have an excellent bowling attack but very weak batting. NZ have a very strong batting unit, but an ageing and one dimensional bowling attack. The results will depend on which team weathers the inevitable first innings chaos the best.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
But what if Jamieson is good again
Would certainly help, but we have to remember that the guy's barely bowled a ball since last year's tour of England. Players rarely spring straight back to their best after an 18 month layoff.

I also think the Aus test series could get seriously ugly, given how much better they've handled the Bazball whirlwind than NZ did in 2022.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Would certainly help, but we have to remember that the guy's barely bowled a ball since last year's tour of England. Players rarely spring straight back to their best after an 18 month layoff.

I also think the Aus test series could get seriously ugly, given how much better they've handled the Bazball whirlwind than NZ did in 2022.
o yea the aus test series will be an absolute disaster for us, no doubt

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Kane apparently ahead of schedule in his recovery from his knee injury. I dunno, I'd be very leery of rushing him back into the squad if the doctors are marginal on his recovery. We've got a big summer of test cricket coming up, and while I know the NZC doesn't gave a **** about that I'd honestly prefer it if we can guarantee KW's fitness for that, rather than risking him aggravating his injury after a couple WC games and being out of the side for another 6-9 months.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'd already resigned myself to him not playing the WC and I'd rather he doesn't rush back if it means he will end up missing the home summer and maybe the rest of his career

Mike5181

International Captain
Kane apparently ahead of schedule in his recovery from his knee injury. I dunno, I'd be very leery of rushing him back into the squad if the doctors are marginal on his recovery. We've got a big summer of test cricket coming up, and while I know the NZC doesn't gave a **** about that I'd honestly prefer it if we can guarantee KW's fitness for that, rather than risking him aggravating his injury after a couple WC games and being out of the side for another 6-9 months.
They could leave him as back up and just wait for an injury or something. There's like 40 days in between our first game and the finals if they get there.