• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

chris.hinton

International Captain
Weather Forecast

Wed - Showers in early afternoon, Evening will be dry with sun
Thurs - Dry all day.
Fri - Some showers possible
Sat - Rain all day
Sun - Rain all day

Grim

halba

International 12th Man
Weather Forecast

Wed - Showers in early afternoon, Evening will be dry with sun
Thurs - Dry all day.
Fri - Some showers possible
Sat - Rain all day
Sun - Rain all day

Grim
Draw is odds on with only 3 days to play and what looks a flat wicket from the photo

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
My Apple ‘Weather’ app very different again. Still, it was largely wrong for Headingley save for its forecast enabling me to predict we’d get an evening session in on the Saturday.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
For the life if me I don't understand why we announce our team in advance.

The team is as you'd expect with Jimmy coming back in.

Our top 3 of Crawley, Duckett and Mo must be the most attacking top 3 in our history and also the most suspect defensively.
We've done it every game. They told us the team last night by saying Jimmy was starting as the only question was did they bring in Jimmy or Tongue for Robinson.

Why can't they just announce the team at the toss and leave the Aussies guessing instead of giving them days preparation.

Just like declaring on day 1 it's more of this left of field approach/thinking they are doing. This is another decision I definitely don't understand.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My Apple ‘Weather’ app very different again. Still, it was largely wrong for Headingley save for its forecast enabling me to predict we’d get an evening session in on the Saturday.
I still think weather forecasts are 85% voodoo.

Spark

Global Moderator
The medium range ones are remarkable these days compared to how they were just 15-20 years ago. There was a major hurricane that hit the US Gulf Coast either last year or the year before which was almost flawlessly predicted in track and fairly well predicted in intensity from before the thing was even technically a hurricane.

But then again hundreds of millions of dollars have been invested to specifically forecast those, so you'd expect improvements.

Gob

International Coach
We've done it every game. They told us the team last night by saying Jimmy was starting as the only question was did they bring in Jimmy or Tongue for Robinson.

Why can't they just announce the team at the toss and leave the Aussies guessing instead of giving them days preparation.

Just like declaring on day 1 it's more of this left of field approach/thinking they are doing. This is another decision I definitely don't understand.
I think they want to show everyone how confident they are

Molehill

International Captain
If slip catching practice at OT is anything to go by, it seems that Marsh and Warner are both in and Green is out. So probably just one change there too, either Hazelwood or Neser for Boalnd.

Owzat

U19 Captain
Moeen actually legit batting 3 is so weird. While I'd love him to surprise me, I doubt he lasts for more than 5 overs total across both innings. Its like starting a test match with a permanent night watchman
walking wicket more like, has one fifty batting at #3 and that's more than half his runs, average 13.14

five single figure scores, only two double figures, said fifty and a 20. Root may as walk out to the crease with him!

Boags

Cricket Spectator
Well if Moeen's gonna bat 3, it might as well be Wood... at least if he makes makes it through 15 balls he'll have 30 runs and the bowlers will be rattled.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Annika Sorenstam likes him & has played with him many times

Even she says that he’s the most shameless cheat that she’s ever seen - literally has his man walk in front of the group and throw the ball back into the fairway

He’s on the honour board for being club champion at one of his clubs

Only problem is that he withdrew from the competition :laugh:
I just read Commander in Cheat, he claims to have 16 club championships at different courses (mostly his own). He achieves this partly by being the first to play on his new courses, he's been known to play by himself at other times and claim he shot better than the club champion did on that day, play as the only one in a 'senior' championship etc.

He also cost the American taxpayer something like $440m I think, playing golf while in office.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Moeen at 3 is almost unprecented in world cricket, I reckon. Unless someone reminds me of another time? No matter what England tells you, this is a permanent night *insert term here* to shield Root/Brook from batting 3. I can't remember of anyone in Test history being picked at 3 (two Tests in a row, if you don't mind) to shield people, rather than anything to do with batting merit. It's absolutely wild.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Moeen at 3 is almost unprecented in world cricket, I reckon. Unless someone reminds me of another time? No matter what England tells you, this is a permanent night *insert term here* to shield Root/Brook from batting 3. I can't remember of anyone in Test history being picked at 3 (two Tests in a row, if you don't mind) to shield people, rather than anything to do with batting merit. It's absolutely wild.
Rob Quiney 9