• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

Gob

International Coach
Will just leave this here...I know it's Piers and he's a sub-human parasite, but I still think it's funny.

“Now it looks very different – you’ve got a rattled captain, you’ve got a wicketkeeper who can’t catch a cold,” he said.

“Old Trafford will be like a colosseum – we will be the gladiators and you will be our victims.”

A keeper who can't catch a cold :laugh: Someone ought to point out to him that both teams are in white and the thick-set ginger guy plays for his side, England, not Australia
Me to Brett Lee - You should have gone for the head

All though I liked his interview of just stop oil spoke person

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Will just leave this here...I know it's Piers and he's a sub-human parasite, but I still think it's funny.

“Now it looks very different – you’ve got a rattled captain, you’ve got a wicketkeeper who can’t catch a cold,” he said.

“Old Trafford will be like a colosseum – we will be the gladiators and you will be our victims.”

A keeper who can't catch a cold :laugh: Someone ought to point out to him that both teams are in white and the thick-set ginger guy plays for his side, England, not Australia
I may have alluded to something similar at the time...but it is a great pity that Brett Lee didn't decapitate Piers Morgan when he bowled to him in the nets that time.

halba

International 12th Man
Possible XI, both marsh and green included, with a license for one to be selected as opener and to biff atleast 30

David Warner's career will be over.

Green/m Marsh
Khawaja
Labu
Smith
Head
Marsh/green
Carey
Starc
Cummins
Hazlewood
Murphy.

Qlder

International Debutant
Possible XI, both marsh and green included, with a license for one to be selected as opener and to biff atleast 30

David Warner's career will be over.

Green/m Marsh
Khawaja
Labu
Smith
Head
Marsh/green
Carey
Starc
Cummins
Hazlewood
Murphy.
Nah. Pretty sure Neser is at #8 and Labuschagne opens

Owzat

U19 Captain
He averages pretty much identical numbers (36.5) with or without the gloves.

However, in the last 5 years when keeping it's only 23.

In the same period, Foakes averages 32 and obviously doesn't drop as many catches. It really ought to be a no brainer.
Going from memory similar is about right, I have the figures although may not include last Test available on said other PC but pretty sure bar a few Tests he batted like #5 his averages in most batting slots sit like 30-38 average. My figures do have some scope for where he took over keeping duties mid match I think, but for him to be averaging 20 more without gloves than with he'd have to be averaging like 45 vs 25 and I'd think I'd have noticed!!

Owzat

U19 Captain
Australia don't have the metal to win another test. I can't see it, Bowling is wayward. and Batting crumbles under the heat of WWB.

3-2
they may not have the metal, but do they have the mettle? (do I recall at some point the use of aluminium bats? that's al you min eum not al oom inum. Had a look, Lillee, nice slip of the spell)

Owzat

U19 Captain
He averages pretty much identical numbers (36.5) with or without the gloves.

However, in the last 5 years when keeping it's only 23.

In the same period, Foakes averages 32 and obviously doesn't drop as many catches. It really ought to be a no brainer.
Did cricinfo for career like for like batting with/without gloves, ironically there's a 0.20 run difference. there is no fair way to compare one chunk of a players complete career where he was injured, keeping then not keeping etc and suggest you can split it in half and compare to someone who has scored just 240 runs in a short Test career at home @ 40 average and say "better batsman" or "no brainer", especially as in the last 6 years Bairstow has played 16 Tests including against Australia, a side Foakes has yet to face, and Bairstow obviously had a peak against the kiwis and faced a weak Sri Lanka and others

Why can't people just stick to the main argument they want to make, pick the better keeper.......

CartyDurham

International Captain
Stats wise and wicket keeping ability has Foakes the better

However what is not known is how he gets on in the dressing room and does he buy into the team philosophy ?

I mean for years Alex Hales was out of Englands T20 team , though he was clearly a top T20 and ODI performer but he didn’t buy into Morgan’s philosophy which was proved correct as they won the odi world championship

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Stats wise and wicket keeping ability has Foakes the better

However what is not known is how he gets on in the dressing room and does he buy into the team philosophy ?

I mean for years Alex Hales was out of Englands T20 team , though he was clearly a top T20 and ODI performer but he didn’t buy into Morgan’s philosophy which was proved correct as they won the odi world championship
Yeah, not sure that was the reason.

Unless Morgan’s philosophy was “dont do drugs”