• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

Kraken

State Captain
This is really breaking things down to too granular a level.

The simplest explanation appears to be that it’s not easy to come back from a serious injury to a position that requires plenty of athleticism. He’s failed there and it’s hit his confidence which is affecting his batting.
he would also have so much headnoise after the way he got out at Lords

Spark

Global Moderator
This is really breaking things down to too granular a level.

The simplest explanation appears to be that it’s not easy to come back from a serious injury to a position that requires plenty of athleticism. He’s failed there and it’s hit his confidence which is affecting his batting.
Not even just athleticism, I'm sure he'd do fine in the outfield but constant, unceasing attention. It's not like he has to field one ball an over and do some sprints, he has to be on it every single ball and be technically correct.

he would also have so much headnoise after the way he got out at Lords
Yeah he absolutely wanted a piece of the bowlers, the second innings in particular he tried particularly hard to get out in exactly the way he ended up getting out.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly who would you have liked to see tried instead?

And no, "anyone else" is not a valid answer
Even allowing for his performance in India, Renshaw should have been next cab off the rank due to age, Australia A hundreds (yes, I know the Kiwis weren’t strong) and catching ability

However, something seems to have gone awry with him as he looked like a clueless kid in the field at Lords & was subsequently dumped from the squad

Unless, somebody puts their hand up at the beginning of next season, we might have to manufacture one

Hate Hanscomb’s technique but he is mature and can field

Kurtis Patterson has the game but has been bad for a while now

Max Bryant, Ben McDermott & Teague Wyllie have real talent but not the runs

Short answer is **** knows

Qlder

International Debutant
Bit rough on Neser. The rest of the squad are on break holidaying around UK while he's been stuck in the Glamorgan change room for 2 washed out days

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Bit rough on Neser. The rest of the squad are on break holidaying around UK while he's been stuck in the Glamorgan change room for 2 washed out days
Getting paid in full while not playing? The dream. Cards, music, a nap, no fatigue in the legs...for a county pro, that is what you go to bed and wish for.

Molehill

International Captain
Getting paid in full while not playing? The dream. Cards, music, a nap, no fatigue in the legs...for a county pro, that is what you go to bed and wish for.
I think the idea was that he'd get some match practice having not bowled competitively for a month, that plan is seemingly backfiring. Pretty certain he'll be running the drinks again in Manchester.

Owzat

U19 Captain
I mean I wanted him gone for good at one point as we all did but according to TMS he averages something like 20 less with the gloves than without
I'd have to check but think that's a load of tosh, can't check right now but will try and remember to check when I have the data ready to hand (not on this PC)

Molehill

International Captain
I'd have to check but think that's a load of tosh, can't check right now but will try and remember to check when I have the data ready to hand (not on this PC)
He averages pretty much identical numbers (36.5) with or without the gloves.

However, in the last 5 years when keeping it's only 23.

In the same period, Foakes averages 32 and obviously doesn't drop as many catches. It really ought to be a no brainer.

Qlder

International Debutant
Neser warming up nicely for the 4th test by top scoring for Glamorgan batting #7 (currently 51*)

Last edited:

chris.hinton

International Captain
Australia don't have the metal to win another test. I can't see it, Bowling is wayward. and Batting crumbles under the heat of WWB.

3-2