• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

Shady Slim

International Coach
Surely they're not going with that, unless that's their definition of a 'fast' deck.

If they are, then I can imagine the thinking is that BazBall will let them get enough runs while the pitch will let their bowlers overcome our batting. Which TBH is actually not terrible logic.
this shoulda been their plan from 1st match

put out a green deck and get their batsmen score as quick as possible and have a few try to stick around then go in and put pressure with the ball with it being their strength. if they can get Head alone fast no one else is scoring quickly before getting out on a green deck to an unplayable ball that they can produce
totally agree with the above. shame they were too spooked by our fast bowling cartel and departed from their game plans

Qlder

International Debutant
Mitchell Starc (310 wkts) should get 4 wkts this test to go past Mitchell Johnson (313) as 5th most wickets for Australia. Quite an effort with SR < 50 (Starc and Cummins are only Aussies with > 100 wkts at SR < 50)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If he plays he'll take 4/30 odd in the first dig as england get bent over for about 120-140.

Molehill

International Captain
Surely they're not going with that, unless that's their definition of a 'fast' deck.

If they are, then I can imagine the thinking is that BazBall will let them get enough runs while the pitch will let their bowlers overcome our batting. Which TBH is actually not terrible logic.
This should've been the plan the moment we lost Leach. Take Lyon out of the game as he's the one clear advantage Aus have and then see what happens.

Burgey

This should've been the plan the moment we lost Leach. Take Lyon out of the game as he's the one clear advantage Aus have and then see what happens.
You don't think Cummins and Hazlewood are clear advantages on a seaming deck?

Anyway, if it seams it'll spin, assuming Lyon is even required on such a surface.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
You don't think Cummins and Hazlewood are clear advantages on a seaming deck?

Anyway, if it seams it'll spin, assuming Lyon is even required on such a surface.
Think the point is more that on your typical English deck with the dukes, there's not a huge difference between anderson/Robinson and cummins/haze. All of them are gonna take wickets and not go for much runs.

Bigger issue is that ENG are picking a 19 YO leg spinner with control issues while AUS are picking one of the best spinners they've ever produced.

Qlder

International Debutant
Is England spooked?

What happened to Stokes naming their side 2 days before the match as per Bazball normal

Burgey

Think the point is more that on your typical English deck with the dukes, there's not a huge difference between anderson/Robinson and cummins/haze. All of them are gonna take wickets and not go for much runs.

Bigger issue is that ENG are picking a 19 YO leg spinner with control issues while AUS are picking one of the best spinners they've ever produced.
The Aus batting line up is better equipped on seaming decks than England's though. The quality is shining through, which was always going to happen. England are in a quandary, not sure who to pick or which deck to roll out. #spooked

Burgey

Yes but the point is on flat decks both the batting and bowling is better equipped, pitches with some help reduce the gap for the latter
No! I won't have that. They're miles worse in every aspect and on every surface. All they're going to do is bring Boland and Haze into it. They're faster and better than their English counterparts on seaming decks as well. The England batsmen won't know which end of the cue to hold if there's juice in the wicket. And that's not even factoring Cummins into it. They won't make 200. Will struggle to get 150. It's done.

Give them nothing, do you hear me? Nothing!

halba

International 12th Man
Neser unplayable in lords nets according to news articles. Shame he is not in the squad yet. He will likely play the 3rd test on this basis.

Molehill

International Captain
The Aus batting line up is better equipped on seaming decks than England's though. The quality is shining through, which was always going to happen. England are in a quandary, not sure who to pick or which deck to roll out. #spooked
I'd say Smith and Labuschagne are but neither are in top form. Khawaja is far weaker on a seaming pitch and we can negate his factor, Warner will do well to survive the first over.

The big difference on a flat surface is Lyon, take him out of the equation and Aus will be forced to put more overs into Cummins.

Burgey

I'd say Smith and Labuschagne are but neither are in top form. Khawaja is far weaker on a seaming pitch and we can negate his factor, Warner will do well to survive the first over.

The big difference on a flat surface is Lyon, take him out of the equation and Aus will be forced to put more overs into Cummins.
Smith made 120 two weeks ago on a dodgy. Marnus looks like crap, for sure. Lyon will get turn on a seaming pitch. Just more on days one and two than maybe four and five.

In relation to the batting, you ignore Travis "FAFO" Head at your peril on seaming decks.

As I've said, it's done no matter the surface. The more in the deck, the greater the gulf in class. Aus will be having a hit of golf on day four while england have back to back net sessions to try and salvage something out of the wreckage.

Molehill

International Captain
Smith made 120 two weeks ago on a dodgy. Marnus looks like crap, for sure. Lyon will get turn on a seaming pitch. Just more on days one and two than maybe four and five.

In relation to the batting, you ignore Travis "FAFO" Head at your peril on seaming decks.

As I've said, it's done no matter the surface. The more in the deck, the greater the gulf in class. Aus will be having a hit of golf on day four while england have back to back net sessions to try and salvage something out of the wreckage.
If Lyon is bowling on a seaming pitch then something has already gone wrong.

Burgey

That's why I previously said "if he's even required". I mean, england were so sure of themselves a week ago - Stokes wanted flat decks, he was saying what his side would be several days out. Now they're thinking of seaming decks and aren't sure what their team will be. The bubble's burst. #spooked