• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

CartyDurham

International Captain
Few years ago Lords was a green top pitch in a game v India which ended up as an Indian win

think that was Alistair Cooke last series as an England player

probably wrong though

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Few years ago Lords was a green top pitch in a game v India which ended up as an Indian win

think that was Alistair Cooke last series as an England player

probably wrong though
LOL you must of watched a fair chunk of those 12,500 runs he scored yet you can't spell either his first or second name.

chunksafc

U19 12th Man
This is the bit im struggling with, a pitch with no movement hinders our bowlers unless there is cloud cover but suits our batting as at least 3 of them will struggle with the ball moving.

We seem to be looking to have flat pitches that we can score big numbers on and hope the Aussie batting make mistakes

Gob

International Coach
This is the bit im struggling with, a pitch with no movement hinders our bowlers unless there is cloud cover but suits our batting as at least 3 of them will struggle with the ball moving.

We seem to be looking to have flat pitches that we can score big numbers on and hope the Aussie batting make mistakes
I'm still not hundred percent sure how super aggressive batting goes on a seaming wicket

Proven and tested method is good defence, playing it late without following the ball and leave as much as possible. Disaster strikes when you poke tentatively and play away from your body but not certain what really happen when you go super agro and playing ramps and ****. Obviously batsmen don't have the balls to go super hard on such conditions mostly due to backlash that they rather get out conventionally

One if the few times I did see that was when McCullum made the fastest ton in Tests vs Aus in 2015. That pitch was going all over the place and McCullum, as usually looked village defending, decided to charge the fast bowlers and the rest was history

Socerer 01

International Captain
have people forgotten that Bairstow played defensively when under pressure without being settled from the bowlers or the conditions last year when he scored all those 100s? he only started attacking or counterattacking when he got his eye in to do so. Root is perhaps one of the best at that and Stokes can be added to that. idk if Brook and Pope can do that consistently but its still a strong enough base to try if you add Foakes back

England are shooting themselves in the foot if they try to outmatch Australia on flat pitches as the only way they win is if they force mistakes from Australia or if Australia plays like ****

CartyDurham

International Captain
If England lose the series that’s all on Stokes and mccullum deciding the method that they feel will succeed

if they win the series then the opposite becomes true and they deserve praise for beating the current world champions

If they declare then it’s because they feel it’s the best way to win the game. It was proven wrong this time, just

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah like that time Indian posters kept talking about how we beat Australia in Australia with net bowlers and everyone got mad.
Such posting really does derail threads occasionally. Like we'd have an amazing start to a thread, like poetry, or getting a hatrick in the first over of a match. Then everything goes off the rails and the next thing you know you've lost the match by 341 runs.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
have people forgotten that Bairstow played defensively when under pressure without being settled from the bowlers or the conditions last year when he scored all those 100s? he only started attacking or counterattacking when he got his eye in to do so. Root is perhaps one of the best at that and Stokes can be added to that. idk if Brook and Pope can do that consistently but its still a strong enough base to try if you add Foakes back

England are shooting themselves in the foot if they try to outmatch Australia on flat pitches as the only way they win is if they force mistakes from Australia or if Australia plays like ****
I think we showed in the 1st test that we can beat Australia on a flat pitch.

We were ahead for alot of the game and even as late as the 5th afternoon when we got Carey out, we were clear favourites.

So to say we can't win on a flat pitch is clearly nonsense.

CartyDurham

International Captain
@Prince EWS

in your honour I’ve managed to upload my picture of Dom Bess as an avatar

I’m a crawler though doing this . It was taken before a T20 at Chester le street in Durham

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surely they're not going with that, unless that's their definition of a 'fast' deck.

If they are, then I can imagine the thinking is that BazBall will let them get enough runs while the pitch will let their bowlers overcome our batting. Which TBH is actually not terrible logic.

Socerer 01

International Captain
I think we showed in the 1st test that we can beat Australia on a flat pitch.

We were ahead for alot of the game and even as late as the 5th afternoon when we got Carey out, we were clear favourites.

So to say we can't win on a flat pitch is clearly nonsense.
if your metric for being ahead is being ahead on the run rate then yes sure England were ahead but other than in some instances they were not truly ahead of Australia. one thing that the media spin has done successfully is paint a picture of England losing like prime Barcelona while dominating the match for nearly every moment when it isn’t true

its the same logic as the claims of Australia being spooked by Bazball from ball 1 when they just played according to a plan

your bowling weakness becomes worse on flat pitches compared to theirs becoming better, no amount of spin on that will change it

Socerer 01

International Captain
Surely they're not going with that, unless that's their definition of a 'fast' deck.

If they are, then I can imagine the thinking is that BazBall will let them get enough runs while the pitch will let their bowlers overcome our batting. Which TBH is actually not terrible logic.
this shoulda been their plan from 1st match

put out a green deck and get their batsmen score as quick as possible and have a few try to stick around then go in and put pressure with the ball with it being their strength. if they can get Head alone fast no one else is scoring quickly before getting out on a green deck to an unplayable ball that they can produce

Starfighter

this shoulda been their plan from 1st match

put out a green deck and get their batsmen score as quick as possible and have a few try to stick around then go in and put pressure with the ball with it being their strength. if they can get Head alone fast no one else is scoring quickly before getting out on a green deck to an unplayable ball that they can produce
It also would let them negate Lyon and maybe play four fast bowlers rather than relying on Ali and Stokes' knee holding up.

Starfighter

I the pitch actually does look like that come tomorrow it would be dumb to drop Boland for Starc unless it's dry underneath

Son Of Coco

As we've seen against SA though, 'Bazball' doesn't equal guaranteed runs. I guess you can also argue perhaps some bats are in better form now/the team is a little different.

It only took the ball doing a bit for 30 minutes in the last test for England's openers not to look up to the task.