• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Possible eng attack for lords

Mark wood( broad rested)
Chris woakes(Robinson rotated)
Josh tongue(replaces Moeen injured)
James Anderson
Joe root- spinner

Stuart Broad rested after a huge workload, he's also played the Ireland test.

Robinson rotated for Woakes
The Ireland test was ages ago. Broad'll be fine. Not sure why Robinson would be rotated either.

Michelle Fivefer

U19 Cricketer
I don't think Ben Stokes going on about how they had changed the name of the nightwatchman to 'Nighthawk' has been spoken about enough.

It's ****ing hilarious...the things that resonate with a sportsperson's mind. If I was walking out to bat as the designated 'Nighthawk', I'd probably die of embarrassment before I got to the centre wicket.

Unless they are talking about this, in which case good on them.

View attachment 36153
"They"changed the name? I thought this was entirely a Stuart Broad initiative?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think Ben Stokes going on about how they had changed the name of the nightwatchman to 'Nighthawk' has been spoken about enough.

It's ****ing hilarious...the things that resonate with a sportsperson's mind. If I was walking out to bat as the designated 'Nighthawk', I'd probably die of embarrassment before I got to the centre wicket.

Unless they are talking about this, in which case good on them.
You're right, no one is talking about it enough. I can't wait for a time someone uses it earnestly while commentating (unless it already happened and I wasn't watching). I might die of laughter.

CartyDurham

International Captain
It’s another thing that is being used to create interest with the young , Night hawk

it’s definitely getting in the heads of overseas fans though

it’s not for you , it’s to get the uk youth into the game or the game will die in the uk

some may think that would be a good thing though

CartyDurham

International Captain
I don’t want the game to die in the UK because if it did, we would no longer be able to smash the Poms.
Exactly . People are jumping on labels which is fine but it’s aimed at the youth in the uk

they are trying to create interest , that’s all it’s with the media driven bazball guff and this night hawk rubbish

I’m old and can see right through it but kids in the uk like these terms and that is who they are aimed at

halba

International 12th Man
Australia possible attack for lords

Neser
Hazlewood
Cummins
Lyon.

Boland dropped , the England have worked him out.

mustardcharlie

School Boy/Girl Captain
Bollocksball. ****ehawk. Call it what you will. Entertainment. Success. Artistry. Whatever. Get club/school players involved.
I seriously don't either in the think that Birmingham will have done much to lower enthusiasm for the game, either in Aus or GB
Hope England do not change their approach for Lords.

Old? When I watched my first test live a certain young West Indian came out and I asked why everyone applauded.
Dad's answer was "eh lad ees just broken wor Len's world record" It was King Cricket of course. He got 102

Point being that it is quite often that the excitement was provided by the opposition.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Gotta say I love the theatre around the soundbytes in this series so far. I felt England went a bit overboard during the first test but now the Aussies seem to be doing the same thing.

In a way, its nice as a neutral that both sides have a lot of guys who dont seem to mind/care looking foolish after the game/series. I dont think anything has gone overboard yet and it has been good fun.

Shri

Mr. Glass
“Baz said it after the game, “It feels like we’ve won, lads.” We’ve entertained the world, and we’ve put the Aussies on the back foot. For him to say that after a loss is quite significant for us.”

The whole column genuinely reads like satire.

“One thing I can guarantee. You’re going to see us come harder and harder.”

Shri

Mr. Glass
"Ollie Robinson will be writing for Wisden.com throughout the Ashes."

well we are getting entertained one way or the other by the dimwit

Socerer 01

International Captain
“Baz said it after the game, “It feels like we’ve won, lads.” We’ve entertained the world, and we’ve put the Aussies on the back foot. For him to say that after a loss is quite significant for us.”

The whole column genuinely reads like satire.

“One thing I can guarantee. You’re going to see us come harder and harder.”
clearly the English have higher goals to reach over winning a home Ashes like providing new soundbites for their youth to get into test cricket or play dumb cricket to provide entertainment for us neutrals

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
There's some astonishing stuff in there, probably McCullum's quote being the peak.

The thing that irks me about all this talk from the English camp is that their implicitly saying that without Bazball Test cricket is heading the way of the dodo.

To imply that Test cricket can only reach it's full potential when it's played ultra-aggressive all the time is laughable.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Re: Robinson's verbal and England's constant talk that being aggressive was a moral victory, it feels like England seem to think they're playing Australia of 20 years ago.

It doesn't seem to have clicked that they're playing a different style of Australian team which isn't attacking all the time and can play attritional cricket when need be. And that also goes for the wish that Australia were more verbally aggressive, hence Robinson referencing someone who retired a decade ago to justify himself.

It's all rather bizarre.