• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

halba

International 12th Man
Possible eng attack for lords

Mark wood( broad rested)
Chris woakes(Robinson rotated)
Josh tongue(replaces Moeen injured)
James Anderson
Joe root- spinner

Stuart Broad rested after a huge workload, he's also played the Ireland test.

Robinson rotated for Woakes

Molehill

International Captain
Australia will be happy with England resting their best bowler for such a crucial test 😀
Broad and Robinson actually had the best figures by seamers in the entire game....and Halba thinks England would rest them in a game they cannot afford to lose? If there's a change it should be Wood for Anderson, but I have a feeling they'll stick to these 3. The fitness of Moeen probably decides if Wood plays.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I voted for a series draw in the predictions thread as Australia has a poor record in England recently

However, England has only beaten Australia once at Lords since 1934 and we should be favourites here if their bowlers are fit

This could get ugly very quickly for England

Last edited:

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
khawaja become 13th player in Test, who batted all 5 days of test.

Records for Test Matches
Player1st2ndTeamOppositionGroundMatch DateScorecard
ML Jaisimha20*74Indiav AustraliaEden Gardens23 Jan 1960Test # 487
G Boycott10780*Englandv AustraliaNottingham28 Jul 1977Test # 806
KJ Hughes11784Australiav EnglandLord's28 Aug 1980Test # 885
AJ Lamb23110Englandv West IndiesLord's28 Jun 1984Test # 990
RJ Shastri1117*Indiav EnglandEden Gardens31 Dec 1984Test # 1007
AFG Griffith11418West Indiesv New ZealandHamilton16 Dec 1999Test # 1477
A Flintoff7051Englandv IndiaMohali9 Mar 2006Test # 1788
AN Petersen15639South Africav New ZealandWellington23 Mar 2012Test # 2037
CA Pujara5222Indiav Sri LankaEden Gardens16 Nov 2017Test # 2281
RJ Burns13311Englandv AustraliaBirmingham1 Aug 2019Test # 2353
KC Brathwaite18225West Indiesv ZimbabweBulawayo4 Feb 2023Test # 2489
T Chanderpaul207*15West Indiesv ZimbabweBulawayo4 Feb 2023Test # 2489
UT Khawaja14165Australiav EnglandBirmingham16 Jun 2023Test # 2507

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Broad and Robinson actually had the best figures by seamers in the entire game....and Halba thinks England would rest them in a game they cannot afford to lose? If there's a change it should be Wood for Anderson, but I have a feeling they'll stick to these 3. The fitness of Moeen probably decides if Wood plays.
Unless someone is injured, I don't think any of the quicks would be rested on fatigue-related grounds. There's a decent gap before Lord's so everyone ought to recover in time.

I guess they might think about rotating someone out in the knowledge there's so short a break til the 3rd test, but given the state of the series it will probably be all hands on deck for the second and they'll worry about he third in due course. Will all come down to the pitch and the forecast I suppose.

Molehill

International Captain
khawaja become 13th player in Test, who batted all 5 days of test.

Records for Test Matches
Player1st2ndTeamOppositionGroundMatch DateScorecard
ML Jaisimha20*74Indiav AustraliaEden Gardens23 Jan 1960Test # 487
G Boycott10780*Englandv AustraliaNottingham28 Jul 1977Test # 806
KJ Hughes11784Australiav EnglandLord's28 Aug 1980Test # 885
AJ Lamb23110Englandv West IndiesLord's28 Jun 1984Test # 990
RJ Shastri1117*Indiav EnglandEden Gardens31 Dec 1984Test # 1007
AFG Griffith11418West Indiesv New ZealandHamilton16 Dec 1999Test # 1477
A Flintoff7051Englandv IndiaMohali9 Mar 2006Test # 1788
AN Petersen15639South Africav New ZealandWellington23 Mar 2012Test # 2037
CA Pujara5222Indiav Sri LankaEden Gardens16 Nov 2017Test # 2281
RJ Burns13311Englandv AustraliaBirmingham1 Aug 2019Test # 2353
KC Brathwaite18225West Indiesv ZimbabweBulawayo4 Feb 2023Test # 2489
T Chanderpaul207*15West Indiesv ZimbabweBulawayo4 Feb 2023Test # 2489
UT Khawaja14165Australiav EnglandBirmingham16 Jun 2023Test # 2507
That's a good list, with Flintoff being far the least likely to appear on it.

halba

International 12th Man
Unless someone is injured, I don't think any of the quicks would be rested on fatigue-related grounds. There's a decent gap before Lord's so everyone ought to recover in time.

I guess they might think about rotating someone out in the knowledge there's so short a break til the 3rd test, but given the state of the series it will probably be all hands on deck for the second and they'll worry about he third in due course. Will all come down to the pitch and the forecast I suppose.
Probably mark wood for moeen if moeen is unfit , may be the only change then. Root to bowl spin.

Molehill

International Captain

The current forecast is not that great, suggesting an element of rain on all 5 days. Nothing heavy, but damp, overcast and drizzly. You don't drop Anderson in those conditions.

Burgey

If it's flat I reckon Starc may play for Boland. If it's meant to be cloudy then Neser might get a run. Either one strengthens the batting I guess, but if the wicket looks like it will deck, then Boland will probably keep his spot.

Burgey

The current forecast is not that great, suggesting an element of rain on all 5 days. Nothing heavy, but damp, overcast and drizzly. You don't drop Anderson in those conditions.
Sounds like this might be the weather effected draw which I exclusively predicted ahead of the series.

CartyDurham

International Captain
I don’t know if you overseas fans know but the ECB has decided this Ashes should be played in a six week window so their ridiculous 100 can be played in peak summer when the schools are off

they are trying to create a new audience by alienating the current fans of cricket

Molehill

International Captain
Sounds like this might be the weather effected draw which I exclusively predicted ahead of the series.
The one thing it does do is perhaps make England's selection easier. They can probably afford to leave out Moeen for Wood.

I suspect the forecast will change as the BBC app hasn't exactly committed to anything on any day. But sure to help the seamers if it's cloudy.

Qlder

International Debutant
Some trivia, in the 11 Ashes Tests in England since start of 2015, score is 5-5 (the only draw was of course at Lord's last series)

mustardcharlie

School Boy/Girl Captain
Possible eng attack for lords

Mark wood( broad rested)
Chris woakes(Robinson rotated)
Josh tongue(replaces Moeen injured)
James Anderson
Joe root- spinner

Stuart Broad rested after a huge workload, he's also played the Ireland test.

Robinson rotated for Woakes
Reckon they will bring in Wood for Anderson as the only change if Mo is fit to bowl. If not then Woakes or Tongue with Root and Stokes to "spell" them. Would love to see them choose one of the young spinners, (Raheem, Jacks, Dawson) get a go, but really it all depends on the admin from Stokes and Baz downwards.