• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

Michelle Fivefer

U19 Cricketer
England have also not added a wicketkeeper to their squad. Bairstow missed too many chances at Edgbaston, England need a reliable keeper who can also bat well.
Ben Foakes is the obvious answer but for some reason he gets overlooked. Does Bairstow pull the selectors' strings?

mustardcharlie

School Boy/Girl Captain
Evening MC. Hope you are well. I drifted over here after C24/7 passed away after a short illness.

Regarding out spin options it's at times like this you realise that the cupboard is bare.

Rehan Ahmed could eventually be our answer but I feel he's not ready yet for the heated battle of the Ashes.
Will Jacks might be an option. I think they might go for 4 seamers with Root and Stokes to spell them though.
I agree about Raheem. but if you are going to be adventurous they need to do it in selection as well.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Tongue took five wickets in debut at lords a few weeks back

now I clear concede that Ireland are not Australia but the lad has pace and I suspect the Australians won’t have seen much of him, though no doubt they will have had a look at the Ireland test

Tongue and Wood can get up to 88mph and above on a regular basis

not sure what that is in kph but it’s rapid

CartyDurham

International Captain
Let’s be fair to Moeen has been retired at test level for 18 months and anyone in any country would struggle to come straight in and look to score big and bowl teams out

He’s been bowling four overs and slogging for 20 balls for nigh on two years

There ain’t a player anywhere could return and then overnight be fully tuned into test match cricket

mustardcharlie

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ben Foakes is the obvious answer but for some reason he gets overlooked. Does Bairstow pull the selectors' strings?
reerees o

Am a great fan of JB as you know MF. Still think the man who gave him a pair of keeping gloves should be whipped naked through steeets of York. Don't think that Foakes has been overlooked at all think he will join a long list of brilliant keepers who didn't make it cos their batting was crap

the big bambino

International Captain
Honestly, most of this is "modern" cricket for mine, with the exception of 49, and possibly 74.

Basically, you have to be an absolute madlad to try this stuff, that even the captains of pre modern Test cricket didn't even try! :laugh:
No one has scored at the clip bazball England have achieved which gives them the opportunity to do so.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think Ben Stokes going on about how they had changed the name of the nightwatchman to 'Nighthawk' has been spoken about enough.

It's ****ing hilarious...the things that resonate with a sportsperson's mind. If I was walking out to bat as the designated 'Nighthawk', I'd probably die of embarrassment before I got to the centre wicket.

Unless they are talking about this, in which case good on them.

B17H79_I8tS._CLa_7C2140_2000_7CA1k13CkgRpL.png_7C0_0_2140_2000_0.0_0.0_2140.0_2000.0_900x.jpg

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Just listening to Jarrod Kimber and he bought up an interesting point about England's lack of planning for usman compared to smudge and marnus. I remember people bringing this up when broad and Anderson kept going around the wicket to him in the 2nd dig despite usman averaging a lot less when RHB go over the wicket.

Stokes did eventually work some stuff out to slow usman down, like the umbrella field and having a fielder just behind the bowler like Dhoni use to do to pollard, but I can't help but think that if they'de had a more immediate plan for usman and executed it straight away rather than when he'de already made a ton of runs in the first dig England could have cut back his scoring a bit.

Spark

Global Moderator
Usman also said he apparently deliberately reined it in during the chase because he wanted to play no-risk cricket (with the logic that so long as Australia was batting at the end of the day, they'd win with a few overs to spare)

Qlder

International Debutant
Aus team is easily named except for the usual which pacer to leave out?

Based on workload management, Starc in for Boland who's played the last 2 tests this tour (WTC). Boland will then be fresh to give Hazlewood a rest in the 3rd test.

Starc can also go flat out this test as they name a new squad prior to the 3rd Test and Neser should finally be in the formal squad (rather than training squad)

Crunch time for Warner to. Will he be in this next squad if he fails both innings or will another 30 save him?