• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On fighting , has warners fist recovered after hitting Roots jaw? Appears his grip has long gone due to the hardness of root by the looks of it
History and subsequent ECB inquiries into Yorkshire have proven Warner's prescience. The at-best racist-adjacent Joe Root still has questions to answer.

Good on Ollie Robinson too. Thank you on behalf of all Australia for abusing the most self-effacing player on either side yesterday and in the process seemingly lighting a match under Pat Cummins.

FBU

International Debutant
x
He keeps saying no when asked.

Given how little Stokes has been able to bowl it wouldn't surprise me if they went with four quicks + Root.
I think Stokes will be able to bowl 10 overs a day if needed.

Next Test at Lords will Wood be the 4th bowler with Root to bowl spin. If Wood has played at Edgbaston he would have gone for 50/60 runs not 150 like Ali.

Surely Ali won't be able to bowl with his raw finger. Maybe another spinner will be chosen.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
x

I think Stokes will be able to bowl 10 overs a day if needed.

Next Test at Lords will Wood be the 4th bowler with Root to bowl spin. If Wood has played at Edgbaston he would have gone for 50/60 runs not 150 like Ali.

Surely Ali won't be able to bowl with his raw finger. Maybe another spinner will be chosen.
Stokes has bowled 24 overs in his last 6 tests

His knee has left him a virtual part timer

Xix2565

International Regular
...We've literally just seen perfect evidence of this. But yes, nonsense, of course.

Also I didn't say there was no seam movement, but Test pitches on the whole are much flatter than they used to be.
1 Test is not proof of anything either way lol.
Mate have you actually been watching this test.

The ball has done sweet **** all off the seam all match. Yes that's to do with the pitch but also the overhead conditions.

The overhead conditions change and suddenly the ball starts seaming.

Now I can't explain it, I know it doesn't make much sense but I've been watching cricket in England since the 1970s and take it from me, it often happens.
The ball not seaming is down to the pitch being flat, not your magical clouds making it green. Stop being moronic about basic facts.

Daemon

This is an awesome game. Whatever England do tomorrow they’ll do it quickly. Even if they bat well they’ll definitely declare and give Aus more than a sniff. Only more rain could spoil this now.

ataraxia

International Coach
This is definitely where Bazball has kicked in, at this point. After a top-order collapse, score about 250 runs at 7RPO and completely destroy the Australian will to live, as they limp in the fourth innings to about 220 at best.

Kirkut

International Regular
That short last session with dark grey skies and the red ball seaming around was as quintessentially English as Harry Potter.

Anthony Clayden

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Bazball challenges...batting quickly means less time for your bowlers to rest, especially over a 5 test series with close matches and aging bowling squad. If Stokes can only bowl part time level overs and Moeen can't bowl at all, that leaves 3 bowlers in this next innings wiht Root and maybe Brooks, and two of those bowlers are great bowlers but they are aging. Especially bouncing the lower order out, that would have taken a lot out of Broad's body. Pity the Australian tail couldn't have ducked more and elongated the bouncer spell. Australia has 3 part timers who are near Root's level as a bowler (FC record Labu W 80 Av 48, Head W 61 Av 62 Smith W 72 W 51 to Root W75 A48)

Wood comes in for England next test, but I'm not sure if both Anderson and Broad can sustain long spells on flat wickets, without a genuine spinner tieing down an end for a lot of overs. If they both need a rest is it Wood and Woakes in for England?

Spikey

I'm probably late to the discourse but Australian cricket has a weird opposition to sendoffs imo. I don't think it's fair to label Ponting and co as doing similar behaviour to Robinson's sendoff, when Watson did that sendoff to Gayle he got rebuked for that, however those players stood in the slips and basically did the same thing all day (hence why I think it's a weird opposition)

halba

International 12th Man
I'm probably late to the discourse but Australian cricket has a weird opposition to sendoffs imo. I don't think it's fair to label Ponting and co as doing similar behaviour to Robinson's sendoff, when Watson did that sendoff to Gayle he got rebuked for that, however those players stood in the slips and basically did the same thing all day (hence why I think it's a weird opposition)
Ponting is not a bowler. Just a captain fielder. The bowler is often the one that is front and centre on TV

Robinsons send off was unacceptable IMHO, but there's no clear law or fine against it.

TheJediBrah

Watson was an absolute **** with his wicket celebrations. Just because he's Australian doesn't and make it ok

Spikey

Watson was an absolute **** with his wicket celebrations. Just because he's Australian doesn't and make it ok
And he got plenty of stick for it. Australian cricket in all it's parts is, generally, being pretty consistent in giving Robinson stick for this too.

I'm with PEWS I don't think it's a big deal