• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

CartyDurham

International Captain
Can anyone explain why we can't start at 10:30 tomorrow but the WTC final started at 10:30?
Trying to explain FTECB and ICC decisions is beyond me

I’m still wondering why they wander off under perfect blue skies when the 90 overs have not been bowled

by the way the two lanky umpires today colluded with lancs slowing the overs down until they were ahead on DLS

Then the ground staff pulled the covers off while it was raining

we were badly done to there

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Test is evenly poised but if the weather forecast is right for Tuesday, a draw is very much on.

Tomorrow looks a good batting day, I'd bat for most of the day if we can and see if they can survive in amongst the rain showers on Tuesday.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Test is evenly poised but if the weather forecast is right for Tuesday, a draw is very much on.

Tomorrow looks a good batting day, I'd bat for most of the day if we can and see if they can survive in amongst the rain showers on Tuesday.
The draw is now 100/30. 3.33 I think in decimal

that is a tempting price imo with the forecast

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Tomorrow is not a day for going gung ho - make sure we can't lose before we try to win.

However, I don't think we'll play it like that. I think we'll look to score another 220 or so as quickly as we can before declaring.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Tomorrow is not a day for going gung ho - make sure we can't lose before we try to win.

However, I don't think we'll play it like that. I think we'll look to score another 220 or so as quickly as we can before declaring.
I’ve been saying earlier that England will need between 280 and 320 lead to feel confident of at least drawing the game as chasing that at Edgbaston is historically difficult

so with England being 35 ahead, and they score at 4 an over say, you are looking at a minimum of 60 overs to get that sort of target

then the Tuesday weather looks very dodgy .

that’s why I’ve took the draw price as it’s value .

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I’ve been saying earlier that England will need between 280 and 320 lead to feel confident of at least drawing the game as chasing that at Edgbaston is historically difficult

so with England being 35 ahead, and they score at 4 an over say, you are looking at a minimum of 60 overs to get that sort of target

then the Tuesday weather looks very dodgy .

that’s why I’ve took the draw price as it’s value .
It'll depend on how aggressive we want to be with the declaration, assuming we don't get bowled out.

If the poor forecast on Tuesday remains, I'd be surprised if we batted much past 250. I would bat longer but I don't think Stokes will.

CartyDurham

International Captain
It'll depend on how aggressive we want to be with the declaration, assuming we don't get bowled out.

If the poor forecast on Tuesday remains, I'd be surprised if we batted much past 250. I would bat longer but I don't think Stokes will.
Agree there mind about Stokes pulling out early

I really think though they have to bat all the wickets in this innings and see where we are or at least until 8 or 9 down

there’s positive and great belief and bloody stupidity if we pull out early and gift a 1 test lead

I’m hoping there is a more pragmatic approach to any declaration

CartyDurham

International Captain
It might be over by then
Doubt it. To be seen though . I’m happy with the value for the draw I’ve got. May lose but that’s life

I’ve seen these games with England a lot in the last 18 months. Good that Australia have eventually taken ten wickets in the game. Little achievement there