• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
The problem with the replacements in the squad right now, is that I would literally prefer Mitch Marsh opening.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Aaron Hardie did really well for Australia A in their last series vs NZ , got a hundred and captained the side ..Only 24 aswell that might be someone they look at.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I had a dream last night that Burgey had the ability to edit all my posts

I clearly spend too much time on this forum, but Jesus what a nightmare
The multi of you I created still has you spooked, doesn’t it?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Hating on selectors and coaches is something nerds do to get off because they think they know better. No one acknowledges out there calls that worked like debuting Bumrah in SA, sticking with Wagner, picking Carey ahead of Inglis, picking Jansen ahead of a host of promising pacers, sticking Wade down the order in T20s, and yet people expect them to perfectly predict which blokes who've succeeded at every level of the age group to FC pipeline will do well in tests. CW wants cricketers to be phased out as soon as they hit 30 and bemoans Greg Chapellism at the same time. You guys want Harris dumped after 3 tests but I guarantee you there would've been as much, if not more, moaning about too much chopping and changing if that's what they start doing.
People give langer credit for this and marsh at 3 in t20's, no? Those 2 calls played a massive part in us winning our first ever t20 wc.

the big bambino

International Captain
Aaron Hardie did really well for Australia A in their last series vs NZ , got a hundred and captained the side ..Only 24 aswell that might be someone they look at.
I agree about Hardie and a he's been picked out by quite a few here. The other issue is the hating on Harris but it should be mollified in the context of his competition outside of the XI. Everyone of them have their problems with technique and most have been tried and failed as badly. Failing padding up Simpson Lawry and Hayden, Harris is probably in front of everyone else to replace Warner

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Hardie is an immensly talented cricketer. If Cam green didn't exist he'de be spoken about a ton more. I don't rate his bowling nearly as much as I do green, he's a bit slower, not as tall and doesn't get the same natural movement away from the right-hander that green does, but he's a phenomenal batsmen. He made 80* to help AUS-A chase 350+ vs sri lanka at on a 4th innings turner, made that 100 vs NZ-A in NZ when noene else bar jewell made any runs, made 180* in a shield final and took 4-fer to clutch WA their first title in god knows how long, and a few years before that played a brilliant rearguard knock while batting at 8 to bail WA out in a game vs a very good QLD attack. He's played more quality knocks then green had at the same point in his career before his test debut vs india.

the big bambino

International Captain
Hating on selectors and coaches is something nerds do to get off because they think they know better. No one acknowledges out there calls that worked like debuting Bumrah in SA, sticking with Wagner, picking Carey ahead of Inglis, picking Jansen ahead of a host of promising pacers, sticking Wade down the order in T20s, and yet people expect them to perfectly predict which blokes who've succeeded at every level of the age group to FC pipeline will do well in tests. CW wants cricketers to be phased out as soon as they hit 30 and bemoans Greg Chapellism at the same time. You guys want Harris dumped after 3 tests but I guarantee you there would've been as much, if not more, moaning about too much chopping and changing if that's what they start doing.

All of this is fair but Harris has tended to give people plenty of reasons to justifiably call for his dropping within the timeframe mentioned. He is the best performed of the pretender atm and I guess you should never give up hope on a player who was eventually unfrocked at his first attempt at tests, going back into fc and doing better the next time he was called up.

TheJediBrah

I forgot about Hardie, definitely worth a crack. I think his bowling would be a non-factor in Tests though, at most could bowl some holding overs. But definitely has batting potential

trundler

All of this is fair but Harris has tended to give people plenty of reasons to justifiably call for his dropping within the timeframe mentioned. He is the best performed of the pretender atm and I guess you should never give up hope on a player who was eventually unfrocked at his first attempt at tests, going back into fc and doing better the next time he was called up.
I agree that Harris should've been dumped sooner and Khawaja recalled earlier but it's a question of when for me.

Shady Slim

International Coach
yeah this is absolutely true

i think just what trundler (with respect) doesn't get is that harris was exposed at test level due to certain fundamental deficiencies with the way that he plays and it was painfully obvious that a) the mountain of runs harris made on going back to FC were made with no change to those very same fundamentals and more importantly b) those deficiencies were going to be mega exposed in ingerlund especially

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Best performed is Bancroft

Don’t really rate him either but at least he’s shown some improvement

The other issue with Harris is that he can’t field whereas Bancroft is a gun and Renshaw can catch